• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Anyone else not really watching quicklooks much? I try to skim through them, but I'm not sure if its just games are boring now, or something.

mostly just watch upf, the demo disks and East live stuff and other features, and the Best of videos are good enough to catch up on the content I skim.

I watch them if it's a game I'm already interested in. The only GB stuff I follow any more are the feautres: Game Tapes, Demo Derby, Hitman, Vinnyvania, and RoF. I stopped listening to both podcasts after Austin left and will sometimes skim UPF.

Come to think of it, I haven't read any GB reviews in a year. And I didn't listen to any of the 2015 GOTY podcasts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think with all the news coming out about Austin/Patrick team up, one thing that's for sure is that Jeff Gerstmann has an eye for talent. Who ever they hire next will most definitely be great as well.

I don't know, what's Brad Nicholson up to?

I think with all the news coming out about Austin/Patrick team up, one thing that's for sure is that Jeff Gerstmann has an eye for talent. Who ever they hire next will most definitely be great as well.

Definitely. Jeff having worked in the industry for ome...20ish years or so has given him a 6th sense to talent.

Edit-When is Brad going to the International? Apparently todays Day 1 of the group stages.

I used to watch every quick look regardless of if I was interested in the game or not. Unfortunately I don't have the interest to do that anymore. I think it's partially the games that come out these days. While it's good we get less licensed crap now, I did used to like watching the guys look at the latest crappy game release. I know they still look at crappy games but it doesn't feel the same somehow.

Plus, I just don't think some pairings on the site are as good as others and when Vinny moved you lost someone who could pull everything together. Dan has his moments but if he winds people up the wrong way with one of his comments then it can derail things pretty quickly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is definitely a pairing thing. The closest thing they had to Ryan/Jeff, Jeff/ Vinny, Vinny/Ryan level pairings now was Jeff/Dan/Danny and now that's going to be gone.

i think the issue is that, modern games (indie or AAA) are mostly 'safe' or samey, don't really make entertaining videos.

I don't know about that theory. I think whenever they play ' some garbage I found on Steam', that's usually incredibly boring.

Agree on the QLs. However, while I don't watch them anymore, they're usually good for background noise. Especially at work. You generally don't have to be watching to get the enjoyment out of them. I realized I watched QLs mostly for the side crap they bring up not relevant to the game

Requeim

Plus, I just don't think some pairings on the site are as good as others and when Vinny moved you lost someone who could pull everything together. Dan has his moments but if he winds people up the wrong way with one of his comments then it can derail things pretty quickly.

That's how I feel. Vinny+Jeff, Vinny+Ryan or Jeff+Ryan quick looks were always a great time. Now I really need to be interested in a game to watch the quick look (but not so interested that I'm on media blackout). The live shows and premium features are the main draws at this point for me.

I watch all Giantbomb quick looks still because it gives me a heads up of games I didn't realize were coming out. And then on top of that, it gives me an idea of if a game is up my alley or not. Just this year I played a bunch of games that I wouldn't have played at first glance or didn't even know they were coming out:

Salt and Sanctuary
Unravel
Superhot
Song of the Deep
Headlander

Curufinwe

I hope with the next hire they break up the sausage fest and get someone a bit younger.

I've held off watching the Quantum Break QL because I was going to play it. I'm not sure that's going to happen at this point.

I recently finished Quantum Break and watched the QL after too (about a week or so ago as a matter of fact) and it made the QL more interesting because as I did like the game more than Jeff did, but I could totally see all the complaints he had and how valid they were.

I hope with the next hire they break up the sausage fest and get someone a bit younger.

Jeff Green tho

I recently finished Quantum Break and watched the QL after too (about a week or so ago as a matter of fact) and it made the QL more interesting because as I did like the game more than Jeff did, but I could totally see all the complaints he had and how valid they were.

I may get around to it if I can get it for cheap.

FStop7

Banned
Speaking of bad games, I unwrapped my copy of Watch_Dogs and actually played it.

Sweet baby Jesus, this game is __bad__.

I'm on the mandatory stealth driving mission now and I'm pretty much done. This isn't fun. It's insulting.

I figured his girlfriend is from NJ and they just visited a bit ago so maybe she was heading back and GB East needs another person so it works well for Dan.

Yeah. If that's what's happening, it sounds like a nice compromise. As someone pointed out, Dan's girlfriend was not adjusting well to SF. Luckily Dan would still get to remain with Giant Bomb and at the same time can ensure his girlfriend (and at this point, probable future wife) is happy.

Aw, it's good, imo.

The stealth driving is less boring than GTA games!

My crowning moment is when I parked next to a sidewalk, stealthed in a car, and hacked another players game. He was running around blowing random things up, trying to find me. It was great.

Meguro

Banned
I wish Quantum Break was cheaper for PC cause I want to play it out of curiosity but I don't want to pay 50€ for it.
Fucking windows store exclusive that will never go on sale ever.

My crowning moment is when I parked next to a sidewalk, stealthed in a car, and hacked another players game. He was running around blowing random things up, trying to find me. It was great.

That online functionality was fucking great! Moments like that were so awesome.

I wish Quantum Break was cheaper for PC cause I want to play it out of curiosity but I don't want to pay 50€ for it.
Fucking windows store exclusive that will never go on sale ever.

Yep. I was hoping the fact that nobody bought it on the Windows Store would eventually lead to a Steam release, but I've lost hope for that.

FStop7

Banned
The next Hitman location was unveiled through a douchey pretentious band's music video. I fucking love this game so much.

Anyone else not really watching quicklooks much? I try to skim through them, but I'm not sure if its just games are boring now, or something.

mostly just watch upf, the demo disks and East live stuff and other features, and the Best of videos are good enough to catch up on the content I skim.

QLs have become background noise for me. There have been times I've realized 15 minutes into a QL I don't even know what the game looks like.

And that isn't a dumb joke about them spending the first 15 minutes in menus

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I pretty much skip all of them aside from games I'm interested in, or ones with comedy potential (see Kinect (RIP) or sports games). They're usually too long for me (45 minutes+ for a terrible looking game), but I realize it's probably just my lack of free time speaking.

Lijik

I only watch a few a week, but I think thats more because i listen to more podcasts now which has eaten up the background noise time Quick Looks used to fill.

Now what if Dan makes Alex play Hitman

Alex: "Oh i don't know I'd rather put on my truckers cap and Truck"
Dan: "KILL HIM AND PUT THE BODY IN THE LOCKER"
Alex: "Dan I just want to truck, man."
Dan: "DO IT! USE THE SPAGHETTI CAN!"
Alex: "Dan please"

popo

Vinny said one reason for moving east was so gb could hire some fresh new talent. So it would be great, and hilarious, if they hired Jeff Green. Although he has been sucking on that corporate teet for a while now, not sure they can afford him.

Brashnir

Now what if Dan makes Alex play Hitman

Alex: "Oh i don't know I'd rather put on my truckers cap and Truck"
Dan: "KILL HIM AND PUT THE BODY IN THE LOCKER"
Alex: "Dan I just want to truck, man."
Dan: "DO IT! USE THE SPAGHETTI CAN!"
Alex: "Dan please"

This would have a very different dynamic, but could work.

Only if they always include face cams, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom