• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

that's what I was saying. how you can live in jersey for any amount of time and never have even heard of it is mindblowing

i'm more mad at backalar, who grew up in manalapan, and was like "eh i mean, taylor ham is ok but its not some big deal or anything"

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, JEFF

i hope they get some good corrections on that taylor ham discussion
i feel let down by jeff and vinny

I played Simpsons Wrestling, ET, Superman 64, Rise of the Robots, tons of licensed SNES games

but do try to continue attacking me rather than my position.

Congrats on being able to google "bad video games" and watch youtube videos with pissed off video game nerds and recite exactly what they said. I'd like to see some non-boilerplate examples of what you consider bad video games. Shadow of Mordor was the best game that came out that year because... spoiler alert... most games that came out that year sucked and everything was pushed to 2015.

That being said, Shadow of Mordor wasn't an amazing game by any stretch of the imagination, but it did blend the Batman combat with AC gameplay decently well, and the Nemesis system was really fun. Going after the chiefs with different strategies based on their weaknesses was novel as well. I really enjoyed it when I played it, but it isn't anywhwere near a MUST play of all time. That year was pretty baren with good game content. Even the duders during the deliberations were pretty apathetic about crowning Shadow of Mordor with GOTY, but again, nothing else came out that was that good in their eyes.

Sure, I can understand that.
I also don't think a 3/5 is a trash game.

I don't know if i would call a 2/5 a trash game

If someone came up to me and said: should i play shadow of mordor? I would say: yeah, that game was fun.

I just don't like the idea that any game that is average suddenly becomes trash. There is real trash out there. There are games that are unfun for their whole duration. There are games that are unplayable. Those games are trash

Alright, this is where I back up and realise that I wasn't paying attention to my quote's context. So, uh, yeah, not trash. But very far from GotY material.

I think I'm just (still) incensed from the Bombcast's notion that XCOM is less worthy than those other games they mentioned as GotGs. Not to mention grouped with Shadow of Mordor at the bottom. Dammit, it's XCOM and it's not a shooter.... like, what more could you ask for from a GotG?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Congrats on being able to google "bad video games" and watch youtube videos with pissed off video game nerds and recite exactly what they said. I'd like to see some non-boilerplate examples of what you consider bad video games. Shadow of Mordor was the best game that came out that year because... spoiler alert... most games that came out that year sucked and everything was pushed to 2015.

That being said, Shadow of Mordor wasn't an amazing game by any stretch of the imagination, but it did blend the Batman combat with AC gameplay decently well, and the Nemesis system was really fun. Going after the chiefs with different strategies based on their weaknesses was novel as well. I really enjoyed it when I played it, but it isn't anywhwere near a MUST play of all time. That year was pretty baren with good game content. Even the duders during the deliberations were pretty apathetic about crowning Shadow of Mordor with GOTY, but again, nothing else came out that was that good in their eyes.
Funny, I don't see Simpsons Wrestling or Rise of the Robots on there. Is this how the internet argues everything now?

So in a year where Batman vs Superman comes out and if no other major good movies came out, you would be ok with Batman vs Superman being called a great movie because nothing else was better than it? Oh did I google that too? According to you I don't have a mind of my own so I obviously did.

A decidedly mediocre game is worse than a game with bad mechanics because not only is it wholly uninspiring, it's safe. It's boring. It has no excuses other than a lack of creativity. It's why I would say Quantum Break is worse than Blues and Bullets because at least Blues and Bullets doesn't feel like a soulless vacuum of a video game that's hitting checkboxes. Those same checkboxes Shadows of Mordor hit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on being able to google "bad video games" and watch youtube videos with pissed off video game nerds and recite exactly what they said. I'd like to see some non-boilerplate examples of what you consider bad video games.
Why did this reach this level of discourse?

KingKong

Shadow of Mordor was the best game that came out that year because... spoiler alert... most games that came out that year sucked and everything was pushed to 2015.

people keep saying this but it's just flat out wrong

Alien Isolation
Divinity: Original Sin
Jazzpunk
The Talos Principle
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock 2
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

Megasoum

Banned

Alien Isolation
Jazzpunk
The Talos Principle
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock 2
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

Wolfenstein was so amazing, I was really bummed that they completely ignored it during GOTY talks.

LiK

alright, I was out of town. Why is Dan in NYC only temporarily?

Dan got married and decided to buy a house in NYC. Now he's part of GBEast and is working with them full time. He also converted to Judaism.

it's all true

Jeff has to take a look at Rec Room again, on a VRodeo or elsewhere. Paintball is super fun, and throwing a frisbee with strangers is awesome.

If any of my fellow Vive owners in here want to play together sometime, add me on Steam (Sleeping_Lesson).

Wow, I've been rewatching the Life is Strange playthrough recently. I really hope Giant Bomb plays through something just as great this year because that was easily one of my most memorable moments from 2015 - 2016.

Personally, I've felt that the content recently has been lacking a little of what I find enjoyable. HitDan has been pretty good, but besides that I haven't felt nearly as engaged in videos. That's not to say that everyone hasn't been doing a great job - it's just that it felt like a different kind of year, something that hasn't appealed to me.

Regardless, here's to a great 2016-2017 year of Giant Bomb.

Salarians

Regarding Telltale, I think Dan and Alex are both correct. I enjoy the "Telltale formula" but TFTB is probably the only game of theirs that I can recommend wholeheartedly. TWAU is still my favorite, though, even if the second half of the season is weak. Bigby is a great character and the game's aesthetic, atmosphere, and soundtrack add a ton.

I should add that I couldn't possibly be any less interested in Batman. And the resolution/framerate are bizarre (to say the least) considering they were touting in interviews that it was using an upgraded version of their engine.

Alien Isolation
Jazzpunk
The Talos Principle
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock 2
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

If you expand beyond the AAA space:

DKC: Tropical Freeze
Threes
Hearthstone
Hitman Go
Valiant Hearts
Rules!
Velocity 2x
Endless Legend
Wasteland 2
This War of Mine
Persona Q: Shadows of the Labyrinth
Child of Light

Tagyhag

Alien Isolation
Jazzpunk
The Talos Principle
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock 2
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

I can forgive Divinity not winning because most of them aren't strategy guys and Patrick couldn't hold the fort by himself. (Though he should have forced it to the top 10 like Austin could)

But Wolfenstein not even in the top 10? For as much as some of them act like id fans, they sure don't show it when it matters.

Every time I fall below skill ranking 60 in Overwatch I start getting matched into games with turbo-racist voice chat. I've fluctuated between 58 and 62 a few times and the cutoff point of 60 is like, shockingly consistent, lol.

I still need to give Mordor another shot someday. The couple times I've tried to get into it I get bored quick.

LiK

Every time I fall below skill ranking 60 in Overwatch I start getting matched into games with turbo-racist voice chat. I've fluctuated between 58 and 62 a few times and the cutoff point of 60 is like, shockingly consistent, lol.

I still need to give Mordor another shot someday. The couple times I've tried to get into it I get bored quick.

Mordor is really fun once you unlock more moves and combos. They're the highlight of the game. Really fun combat. The map is a bore and the missions are repetitive but I loved the combat a lot. The execution kills never get old.

It's the type of game that gets better as you progress because you unlock things that change the way you play and how you approach things. Similar to another recent WB game, Mad Max.

I really enjoyed Mordor and "platinumed" it on Steam (minus any achievements from the DLC, which I heard was bad). The story was complete shit but I loved digging into and fucking around with the nemesis system. And I agree with the duders that it's surprising that stuff hasn't been copied in some form for some other AAA title as that was easily the coolest part of that game.

Alien Isolation
Jazzpunk
The Talos Principle
Shovel Knight
Legend of Grimrock 2
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls 2

Bayonetta 2 was the one for me that year, I still enjoy going back to it from time to time. Fuck tons of stuff to do and unlock.

Vinny and Dan playin Hitman is awesome

"I'm the shiek!"

From the comments.

2875652-sheikdan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom