• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's why the review thread will be such a mess. People will try to find evidence of when and what people played. Better not give it a 7 or worse or prepare to be dissected.

I don't understand how there would be any reviews for a while if the day 1 patch changes so many things

Embargo ends tomorrow and most sites dont give a shit. Expect a decent number of reviews from known sites for the cheap heat.

That review today is just some random back ally blog.

Embargo ends tomorrow and most sites dont give a shit. Expect a decent number of reviews from known sites for the cheap heat.

That review today is just some random back ally blog.

I could see IGN posting a review. They have a provisional review policy as of a few months ago. Uncharted 4 was the first game to get it. The initial review was 8.8, but after the multiplayer was up and running, it was bumped up to a 9. I think Doom had a provisional rating as well. I don't remember. I think it was a revival of their (defunct?) policy in which they'd go back and re-review games that have had substantial changes (Their re-review of Minecraft Pocket Edition was the review that comes to mind).

patapuf

Maybe it's because i mostly play on PC but "what's on the disk" being some sacred version of the game is a really alien concept to me.

Every game with a mere semblance of lifespan will change over time, some massively. And almost all exploration/survival games fall into the category "changes a lot over time".

The only thing that's an issue with the day 1 patch is that it makes reviews more likely to be rushed. However, in the genre NMS is, reviews don't matter much. If it's good, people will pick it up because streamers play it.

Maybe it's because i mostly play on PC but "what's on the disk" being some kind sacred version of the game is a really alien concept to me.

Every game with a mere semblance of lifespan will change over time, some massively. And almost all exploration/survival games fall into the category "changes a lot over time".

The only thing that's an issue with the day 1 patch is that it makes reviews more likely to be rushed. However, in the genre NMS is, reviews don't matter much. If it's good, people will pick it up because streamers play it.

I think the kids call it 'concern trolling'.

Maybe it's because i mostly play on PC but "what's on the disk" being some kind sacred version of the game is a really alien concept to me.

given that this wasnt really a issue until today I think people are just trolling

If people are that concerned about the Day 1 patch not being part of the disc, they should just wait for an eventual GOTY Edition/Special Edition.

I'm hoping NMS devs do a postmortem on the development because I suspect they have many stories to tell. Like, years ago now, I think the year they announced NMS, they had an office flood that nearly killed their company, plus the grand premiere at a Sony(?) conference that blew everyone away. Then the hype for it; an endless, fully procedural adventure; then delay and hype again; and now here we are days from launch... all from Hello Games, Those Dudes Wot Made Joe Danger™.

Does gamasutra basically have a corner on the postmortem market? Feels like that's the only site I ever see them from.
Telltale just straight up feels soulless. Since they made The Walking Dead (2012) they've made 8 games and only one of them isn't based on something else, they all look the same and play the same.
Brad and Jeff would agree, but only if you're talking about Nintendo. Dan would agree, because you're arguing the exact same thing as him. And I would not, because that applies to pretty much any long-running developer, particularly when they're leading the charge on a new genre of gaming (cinematic adventure games).

Though if, by "soulless" you mean, "every game looks kinda-sorta the same," then I'd agree. Their weird art style has been slowly blending together for a while now. I'm going to blame the engine, just because I want to.

Review thread's up already? Oh boy, god speed lads

Yeah, for one small PlayStation based website that believes if a game is on a shelf, that's the version that should be reviewed (upcoming massive Day 1 patch or not). They said they might go back and adjust their review if they deem the patch big enough.

popo

A thought occurred to me. As far as we know, no one has yet filled Adam Boyes' role at Sony and VP of Third Party Relations. What if it's being kept open to be filled by John Vignocchi after all the Disney stuff is wrapped up? I mean, while at Disney he (thanks to his friendship with Adam) created a nice relationship with PlayStation. Do you think it would be a good idea?

I wouldn't rule it out but afaik his background is as a producer which became more of a PR role at Disney. The Sony role appears to be more of an account manager role, or at least heading up that division.

repeater

GB should troll everyone by doing a last-minute Unfinished of the pre-patch version of NMS.

Jeff be like
6RLeeQi.gif

Curufinwe

I could see IGN posting a review. They have a provisional review policy as of a few months ago. Uncharted 4 was the first game to get it. The initial review was 8.8, but after the multiplayer was up and running, it was bumped up to a 9. I think Doom had a provisional rating as well. I don't remember. I think it was a revival of their (defunct?) policy in which they'd go back and re-review games that have had substantial changes (Their re-review of Minecraft Pocket Edition was the review that comes to mind).

They also have a reviews editor who doesn't have a clue what he's doing, so I wouldn't put anything past them.

They also have a reviews editor who doesn't have a clue what he's doing, so I wouldn't put anything past them.

Dan Stapleton? The one thing he did that sort of ticked me off (and I hope the reviewer) was when he posted a scathing counter review of Bloodborne. I have no problem with people disliking Bloodborne. The thing I took issue with was the fact he posted his counter-review days (maybe even a week) before the official review was posted. If I were the reviewer of the game, I would've been livid. IGN says time and time again that the review is what every IGN employee stands by, even if you wholeheartedly disagree with it. So what was the reviews editor, of all people, thinking by neutering their reviewer's take on the game, especially a highly anticipated exclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom