• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

I know the PS4 isnt very powerful but No Mans Sky is running at 30 fps with a tiny fov and draw distance and crashing all the time?

I know the PS4 isnt very powerful but No Mans Sky is running at 30 fps with a tiny fov and draw distance and crashing all the time?

And the fade-in that they said has been "greatly improved" with the day 1 patch is still very prominent. I reeeeally hope it's mitigated in the PC version.

hamchan

Current gen consoles seem like they produce ass results for most developers unless you have a billion dollars and many years like Naughty Dog.

Some people have been saying that PC won't be able to brute force stuff like the pop-in just due to the way the world is created procedurally.

Don't know if that's true but I remember a lot of pop in on Minecraft too and that isn't the most demanding of games either.

I don't think it's a performance thing, just the nature of this relativity new game creation technique with 3D modelling.

Also small team etc. This is effectively an indie game.

I could see why it would put people off though.

I think my biggest gripe with the fade-in is when entering a planet's atmosphere. You see the "space" version of the planet, and then it weirdly fades into the "planet" version of the terrain. It makes it seem less like an awesome, seamless transition and more like a trick.

Lunar FC

I liked it but it wasn't really mind blowing like the duders made it out to be IMO

They like to go overboard sometimes. They hoodwinked me on games I wouldn't usually get like The Witness and Stardew. Main reason why I was so hesitant to get Doom.

Star Citizens planets actually look incredibly impressive if you guys havent seen those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXibAC5ERo0

This reminds me I own this 'game' and now have a computer that can run it. Need to fire it up.

Doom is just so undeniable.

I'll be damned if anyone blasting out that fucking terrible/amazing metal soundtrack while blasting a big dude in the face with a shotgun isn't having fun.

Catvoca

Banned
They like to go overboard sometimes. They hoodwinked me on games I wouldn't usually get like The Witness and Stardew. Main reason why I was so hesitant to get Doom.

Yeah, if I went in with no expectations I'm sure I would have loved it but after hearing them gush so much I ended up a little underwhelmed. I still loved Stardew Valley after Dan talked about it though!

justjim89

Doom is just so undeniable.

I'll be damned if anyone blasting out that fucking terrible/amazing metal soundtrack while blasting a big dude in the face with a shotgun isn't having fun.

It's so good. I hate metal and everything it stands for on a conceptual level, but that Doom opening up through the title card is so good. It's perfect.

That story Alex had of getting lost on that lost planet and then finding the monolith is why I'm excited for No Man's Sky. I understand how that type of stuff can be boring for people but the possibility of what is possible to come across is exciting as hell for me.

Curufinwe

That story Alex had of getting lost on that lost planet and then finding the monolith is why I'm excited for No Man's Sky. I understand how that type of stuff can be boring for people but the possibility of what is possible to come across is exciting as hell for me.

I only had time to watch the first 50 minutes of the QL this morning, but it was tempting me to buy it.

I want to finish TMS #FE and Platinum's Transformers first, though. I got the latter in the early July PSN sale and have barely played it.

Yeah, the idea that there are things in the game that are actually rare is exciting to me. A lot of games have "rare" events or whatever but every player seems them 100 times before the end of the game, but NMS seems like some players will never see some of the stuff in the game. I mean, maybe.

Yeah, the idea that there are things in the game that are actually rare is exciting to me. A lot of games have "rare" events or whatever but every player seems them 100 times before the end of the game, but NMS seems like some players will never see some of the stuff in the game. I mean, maybe.

Yeah, as of right now it's the possibility that is exciting. A couple months down the road most the stuff that isn't random can maybe be figured out, even if everyone doesn't see every possibility, but that it's still possible right now is what's exciting. Will the game be as good and as fun as soon as that possibility lessons? Possibly, but right now I want to play the shit out of it.

BearPawB

Banned
Doom was solid
I had fun.

But there are miserable moments in that game towards the end. If it had been an hour or two shorter I wouldn't complain

Based on what Dan was saying, I do not thing No Man's Sky will appeal to him. Procedurally generated content like this really requires you to have your own motivation. Gameplay motivations will be grindy in a lot of ways. Randomize scripted events wear thin over time. I know I can enjoy this type of game because I enjoy the exploration and it sparks my imagination. A lot of other people, I feel will be burned out quick.

Ohnonono

QL got me to pick up NMS. They guy at Gamestop was losing his shit about how many people were coming in for the game at open and he said he only had a few copies.

Based on what Dan was saying, I do not thing No Man's Sky will appeal to him. Procedurally generated content like this really requires you to have your own motivation. Gameplay motivations will be grindy in a lot of ways. Randomize scripted events wear thin over time. I know I can enjoy this type of game because I enjoy the exploration and it sparks my imagination. A lot of other people, I feel will be burned out quick.

This definitely doesn't seem like a Dan game. He'd probably give a try and like it for a little bit, but the pull of Overwatch will be too strong.

Zaph

looks good...

1IP6uax.png

Really chuffed for that dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom