• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i2Fko7O.png

3JEqpxN.gif

Yup. Males have an ankle spur that delivers venom. The only other mammalian species that gives birth via egg are echidnas (yes, Knuckles' species lays eggs!).

I call bullshit. I've seen that bad fan art thread and I've seen pictures of Knuckles pregnant! Why would they draw him pregnant if they lay eggs?

Uh. I think Twitch has officially switched over to HTML5. The HTML5 was initially reserved for Turbo users (which I am not). Yay?

Edit- It's been that way since August 3rd. Cool! That just leaves Giant Bomb Live Streams for me that need to switch over to HTML 5.

Edit 2- YAY! Pause actually works on Twitch now!

yeah so far that has been the biggest bummer for me, the inventories fill up waaaaaaay too quick

Inventory management is the opposite of my idea of a relaxing experience.

Honestly I feel like we've all been taken for a ride by the hype and non-committal talk about the game. After all that you just go from place to place running around collecting junk to upgrade your ship. It's actually the most easy to describe thing.

hamchan

Gotta add some arbitrary restriction to make you have a goal to go for!

"Hey we can fucking travel faster than light but we can't hold more than a few slots of these items"

Uh. I think Twitch has officially switched over to HTML5. The HTML5 was initially reserved for Turbo users (which I am not). Yay?

Edit- It's been that way since August 3rd. Cool! That just leaves Giant Bomb Live Streams for me that need to switch over to HTML 5.

Edit 2- YAY! Pause actually works on Twitch now!

Ive had HTML5 player for ages now, but thats because I am on Safari and removed Flash from my computer.

Xater

Inventory management is the opposite of my idea of a relaxing experience.

Honestly I feel like we've all been taken for a ride by the hype and non-committal talk about the game. After all that you just go from place to place running around collecting junk to upgrade your ship. It's actually the most easy to describe thing.

That's exactly what I expected and feared from the talk about the game pre-release. I was hoping there would be more to the game, but it turns out it's exactly just that and they kinda don't do anything new or interesting with it. Right now I am inclined to say that Starbound did turn out to be the better game.

Jothel

Ah I figured out what NMS is like... You know after you finish an open world game, you can go back and still do tasks and upgrade stuff but without there being any story left? It's kinda like that... still though I've played this game for 6 hours or so already today so I'm not complaining.

hamchan

Why would FTL change storage restrictions?

Because No Man's Sky is not real and they can add anything they want to the fiction in service of the gameplay.

If civilization can advance to the amazing point where faster than light travel is possible, something that we currently consider impossible since it requires an infinite amount of energy, then they can probably also invent the capsules from Dragon Ball to solve all our storage problems too.

But basically it comes down to inventory limits being a lame gameplay mechanic, and it's a bummer the game feels restrictive because the developers couldn't think of something more interesting.

Ah I figured out what NMS is like... You know after you finish an open world game, you can go back and still do tasks and upgrade stuff but without there being any story left? It's kinda like that... still though I've played this game for 6 hours or so already today so I'm not complaining.

That's the thing, it's the kind of game I could see myself losing a lot of hours to, because you can kind of turn your brain off, zone out, and keep playing. There's always a bar to fill, or stuff to collect, and it's a wonderful little anxiety sponge. But it just seems so shallow. It's got a nice aesthetic, but if what Brad says is true and most planets are more or less identical, I could see it getting old pretty quickly. But basically it seems like your average Ubisoft open world template, but with less context, it just so happens to take place in a procgen galaxy. I'll probably end up getting it just because it's the It Game everyone's talking about right now and I am curious, but it just feels like all the hype was completely misplaced (which isn't entirely shocking, but Hello Games encouraged it by being so cryptic).

patapuf

Because No Man's Sky is not real and they can add anything they want to the fiction in service of the gameplay.

If civilization can advance to the amazing point where faster than light travel is possible, something that we currently consider impossible since it requires an infinite amount of energy, then they can probably also invent the capsules from Dragon Ball to solve all our storage problems too.

But basically it comes down to inventory limits being a lame gameplay mechanic, and it's a bummer the game feels restrictive because the developers couldn't think of something more interesting.

I think inventory mechanics of some sort are needed for survival games or there's very little incentive to ever return to a base or a spaceship, you have limitless supplies which means you can be prepared for everything without taking any risks ect.

On the other hand NMS has neither a base nor is the outside particularily dangerous and you can recover your loot with corpse runs... so i don't know.

It's probably not a popular opinion but i think NMS could have used some time in early acces.

hamchan

Some people sure are obsessed though on the idea of finding someone else in the universe of NMS.

I think it would be pretty awesome.

Remember how cool it was when Vinny turned into a bird and flew in front of the jeep in that Arma 3 QL with Ryan, Patrick and Drew? And they couldn't really do anything to each other but still found it hilarious and entertaining?

Would love to have that with friends but on a galactic scale.

it's a survival game

be thankful you have an inventory for your ship and your own suit. Inventory management isn't fun in any game sure, but it comes with the genre

I think it would be pretty awesome.

Remember how cool it was when Vinny turned into a bird and flew in front of the jeep in that Arma 3 QL with Ryan, Patrick and Drew? And they couldn't really do anything to each other but still found it hilarious and entertaining?

Would love to have that with friends but on a galactic scale.

Good times. Well, it would be nice I guess but I never really took this game to have any sort of MP system after hearing how many planets there are. Like even if there was a Journey-esque type MP component to this game, it will still most likely be rare as fuck unless you do some weird navigation shit with your buddy to meet each other.

I read one comment on twitter that they were thinking this game was going to be you and your buddies policing the galaxy and making it a safer place, wut?

hamchan

it's a survival game

be thankful you have an inventory for your ship and your own suit. Inventory management isn't fun in any game sure, but it comes with the genre

Well, the entire survival genre has been mostly early access trash on Steam but even their implementation has been better than what has been shown in NMS. At least in those games you lose everything on death or other players can steal your stuff, some sort of roguelike element that works. There's a tension there that the limit can help heighten. Same thing in old survival horror games like Resident Evil.

It's like what patapuf said up top. NMS doesn't really feel dangerous, you don't really lose anything on death, you don't really have to make hard choices in the game too. So the inventory limit is purely there as an annoyance and a contrivance to give you something to expand.

Hopefully we can mod the limit out of the game eventually. I pretty much pre-ordered the game just because I love the idea of exploration.

Well, the entire survival genre has been mostly early access trash on Steam but even their implementation has been better than what has been shown in NMS. At least in those games you lose everything on death or other players can steal your stuff, some sort of roguelike element that works. There's a tension there that the limit can help heighten. Same thing in old survival horror games like Resident Evil.

It's like what patapuf said up top. NMS doesn't really feel dangerous, you don't really lose anything on death, you don't really have to make hard choices in the game too. So the inventory limit is purely there as an annoyance and a contrivance to give you something to expand.

Hopefully we can mod the limit out of the game eventually. I pretty much pre-ordered the game just because I love the idea of exploration.

Sounds like it's not the game for you then >_> it's primarily an exploration game. Combat is a minor part of it~

Inventory management hasnt been a big deal for me, you only need to carry what you need for your goal at any specific time, it's not like other games where you pick up everything.

It's jarring at first but it's just a different type of game.

Tubobutts

I seriously cant stop thinking about chickens being mammals. No Man's Sky distracted me for a bit, but as soon as I stopped playing it was right back to the fur feathers.

popo

Are we still ribbing on Dan? Y'all are not better than him just 'cause you watch the Discovery channel. Each human has limited memory capacity. Some of you choose to fill it with science, others with more useful stuff like wrestling lore and the Taco Bell menu.

Tubobutts

Are we still ribbing on Dan? Y'all are not better than him just 'cause you watch the Discovery channel. Each human has limited memory capacity. Some of you choose to fill it with science, others with more useful stuff like wrestling lore and the Taco Bell menu.
I just need to know why. It's haunting me.

Like, Dan has said plenty of other dumb things, including other stuff in the same quick look, but for some reason chickens being mammals transcends them all for me.

I heard that there is a human finger you can find that might unlock something..?

That is another type of insanity. I played that demo once and deleted it. Put me in camp disappointed on that one, not RE at all to me but I'll still play it because I enjoy survival horror games in general.

To not look like a total idiot. That's like super basic knowledge.

I know dolphins are mammals, does that win me any points back?

idk, I couldn't give you a definition of "mammal" if I was put on the spot and I think that's okay. I feel like I've gotten by without it. I'm majoring in English, it hasn't been a problem.

Tubobutts

I know dolphins are mammals, does that win me any points back?

idk, I couldn't give you a definition of "mammal" if I was put on the spot and I think that's okay. I feel like I've gotten by without it. I'm majoring in English, it hasn't been a problem.
Well ultimately that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom