• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing it back to Giant Bomb, I wonder what Alex is going to give it. I have a feeling that it will either be 3 or 4 stars... The story he told of the hell planet was pretty cool, but it seems that after about 10 hours or so some people get a bit tired of the repetitiveness of the game... I know I was pretty down to get the PC version in a few days, but I've watched a few hours of the game on Twitch/GB and I've kind of fallen of the wagon and will probably wait for a sale now.

Meneses

Batman doesn't appear to be great, like the rest of the Telltale visual novels.

Btw, I think Troy Baker voiced Joker in one of the Arkham games (Origins, maybe?).

hamchan

I don't think it will be that bad...

*Looks at 5/10 score*

Get your popcorn ready

Edit: He even makes the Spore comparison, that's gonna rustle some jimmies

Always need at least one Spore every generation,

Also I agree with Jim Sterling on a lot of things.

^^^Wait they got Troy Baker to voice Batman?

So he's now been Batman, Joker and the Arkham Knight. He should just do a Batman game where he does every voice.

Xater

So he's now been Batman, Joker and the Arkham Knight. He should just do a Batman game where he does every voice.

He also did Two-Face/Harvey Dent. He is on his way to do a good chunk of Batman characters.

I'm pleased to announce that BatmanBatmanBatman will only have Troy Baker in it.

Teddified

I found that Dan's rant against Telltale was reminiscent of people on forums ranting against gone home being a game. Like every time something about Telltale is brought up Dan just has to go into how much he hates them, maybe it's rational to him but to me as an observer it's just an irrational hate that he has to get out every time he's reminded of it.

I found that Dan's rant against Telltale was reminiscent of people on forums ranting against gone home being a game. Like every time something about Telltale is brought up Dan just has to go into how much he hates them, maybe it's rational to him but to me as an observer it's just an irrational hate that he has to get out every time he's reminded of it.

It's like Jeff and new games.

Not the old games. He likes the old games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The hate is completely rational to me, because I share roughly similar feelings.

Like how the hell does telltale games still have framerate and stutter problems?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of hate this digging. How many reviews has Jim written ober the years? He's now worthless because he gave Vanquish a 5/10 six years ago, I guess.

To be fair to him, they kept asking him about it.

KingKong

I kind of hate this digging. How many reviews has Jim written ober the years? He's now worthless because he gave Vanquish a 5/10 six years ago, I guess.

that's true, he's worthless because this is how he presents himself

jimSterling.jpg

Teddified

The hate is completely rational to me, because I share roughly similar feelings.

Like how the hell does telltale games still have framerate and stutter problems?

Eh, Dan's hate from what I could tell comes from a more mechanical and gameplay perspective then technical.

Tales from the Borderlands is the only one I personally played so I can't really weigh too much into stuff, but I dunno I will just probably never understand having so much "hate" to rant about a gametype I don't care for.

Harpuia

I think the walking dead season 1 is so good because of the story.

I mostly agree with Dan on telltale games. There are bits here and there that really click in terms of gameplay and story. But the rest of the time is slowly going through the God awful feeling telltale engine. It's just not great. Every story moment not tied to an actual choice that had you do some kind of QTE or gameplay is just plain bad and does not feel great. I'd go as far as to say it ruins the momentum.

Life is Strange is guilty of the same pacing affected by the bad engine. At some point I want to enjoy the story but then I feel like "oh goddamn it I have to play this game to get to the next part now".

Curufinwe

Who said he was worthless? It's just an example of him not liking a game a lot of other people loved.

Every game isn't for everyone.

LiK

Tales from the Borderlands is amazing and I hope Dan gives it a chance some day. Hell, I hope his GF plays and it and he can just watch. TftB is so so good.

Tales from the Borderlands is amazing and I hope Dan gives it a chance some day. Hell, I hope his GF plays and it and he can just watch. TftB is so so good.

If Dan couldn't even enjoy TWD Season 1 I don't think he'd find much enjoyment in it. That game's great, though.

Xater

Other than TWD S1 it's honestly the only Telltale game series I enjoyed.

On some level I feel like it was because it was novel at the time. I did not have the same kind of enjoyment with any of their other titles I tried. All I could see were the seams of the game, the problem sin the writing, the robotic characters and technical problems.

repeater

Especially considering it's just a persona and not really him.
Yup. Veering wildly off-topic here, but while I don't share all of Jim's videogame preferences, I think he is better at articulating interesting and considered reasons for why he likes or dislikes a game than most games media people, including most of the GB crew. God forbid Jeff should ever adopt a wacky persona though, we would never be able to take his insights into games and gaming seriously again.

doctortracksuit.gif

Joeku

Roughly half of Telltale's output is great, and half is garbage.

Surprise: writing can and does matter in video games. Telltale just exemplifies that.

There's a presumptuous assholeness that leads to disregarding all that, sadly. "It's just a bunch of A-or-B choices and QTEs." Nah, you're just narrow-minded and assumedly think that games are solely mechanics and nothing else.

Xater

Roughly half of Telltale's output is great, and half is garbage.

Surprise: writing can and does matter in video games. Telltale just exemplifies that.

There's a presumptuous assholeness that leads to disregarding all that, sadly. "It's just a bunch of A-or-B choices and QTEs." Nah, you're just narrow-minded and assumedly think that games are solely mechanics and nothing else.

I am definitely a player who enjoys interesting mechanics more than a story, but not evolving their games at all after all this time is really not a great look.

Joeku

I am definitely a player who enjoys interesting mechanics more than a story, but not evolving their games at all after all this time is really not a great look.

I get what you're saying.

There's only so much Telltale could do mechanically while still producing a Telltale game, though.

It's just giving us a vector for storytelling, not a route for letting us hit a boss hard with a combo system.

Xater

I get what you're saying.

There's only so much Telltale could do mechanically while still producing a Telltale game, though.

It's just giving us a vector for storytelling, not a route for letting us hit a boss hard with a combo system.

They could at least try to make their action sequences feel better. The ones in Game of Thrones were just horrible. That was the last Telltale game I got because I love GoT, but man was that a disappointment. I didn't even finish the season.

Joeku

They could at least try to make their action sequences feel better. The ones in Game of Thrones were just horrible. That was the last Telltale game I got because I love GoT, but man was that a disappointment. I didn't even finish the season.

Yeah, I'm not gonna defend action sequences.

I have yet to touch GoT or Batman.

TftB was great though *shrug*.

LiK

my fave TT games are TWD S1, TWAU, TftB

if i were gonna suggest you play any of them, those three will be the ones to play. you can skip the rest cuz they're mediocre.

Joeku

my fave TT games are TWD S1, TWAU, TftB

if i were gonna suggest you play any of them, those three will be the ones to play. you can skip the rest cuz they're mediocre.

Yeah, I'm with you.

Hell of curious how TWD S3 is gonna go, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom