• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
While we're at venomous mammals (this topic doesn't come around that often so I have to use this chance), another one, and the only primate, is the slow loris!

LorisBWE.jpg

These cute fuckers basically lick their elbows and develop a venom in their mouths.

That is all.

Knowing chickens are birds is science? I'm a scientist!

Dan knew chickens were birds but didn't know that birds and mammals were separate categories, or at least that was the line he was feeding us. I'm on to him, though. Dan is an amature biologist and astrophysicist. I was fooled until he suggested that he didn't realize the moon had gravity.

BearPawB

Banned
I've found a ton of diverse planets. But each planet does have the same building types.

My favorite part so far is learning the language/finding weird alien relics

I've found a ton of diverse planets. But each planet does have the same building types.

My favorite part so far is learning the language/finding weird alien relics

I found a giant pillar last night with a beacon inside it and it was pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxIK-k5U_s

When I hit the beacon it zoomed out and you could see the outlines of similar squares, like massive giant ruins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgB9XH0lnM

It's probably just terrain but my mind was racing, it definitely ignited my exploring desires!

Then I got stuck in it for a while because I'm stupid.

I'm real curious to see how people are going to feel about NMS, say, a month from now and how that game feels once the rush of planet-hopping starts to lose its edge after a dozen or so hours. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but either way I hope they add the kind of free post-launch stuff that Sean Murray has mentioned.

Curufinwe

I haven't bought it yet, but if I did and got sick of it in a month the net cost would be about $18. That's the benefit of buying a disc from Best Buy or Amazon.

The more impressions I read the more I think I'll hold off on No Man's Sky for now. My fear was lack of depth in space flight and the impressions I've read of that are worse than I feared.

Did Dan ever say if he was a good student in school? I'm trying to figure out if he's an anomaly or if this is normal for Kansas education... (That sounds way meaner after reading it, I'm not trying to be a dick)

The more impressions I read the more I think I'll hold off on No Man's Sky for now. My fear was lack of depth in space flight and the impressions I've read of that are worse than I feared.

I think if you're looking for something that's more of a space flight sim then Elite: Dangerous is a totally cool alternative.

Houndi101

Did Dan ever say if he was a good student in school? I'm trying to figure out if he's an anomaly or if this is normal for Kansas education... (That sounds way meaner after reading it, I'm not trying to be a dick)
He coasted through college via loopholes etc if I remember correctly.

LiK

i think he said he wasn't a good student, iirc.

Thinking about marathon-ing through Doom and then selling my PS4 before the big NEO reveal in September.

But I really want to play Deus Ex and thats out a week before and I wont be able to finish it in time.

Hnmm.

Curufinwe

He's talked quite a lot about getting thru college while doing the least amount of course work possible.

IIRC, Brad once stopped him from going into too much detail about one of his get-out-of-doing-work schemes that may have been a little too close to actual cheating.

Curufinwe

Thinking about marathon-ing through Doom and then selling my PS4 before the big NEO reveal in September.

But I really want to play Deus Ex and thats out a week before and I wont be able to finish it in time.

Hnmm.

What kind of price do you expect to get?

I was thinking of trading mine in to Best Buy but they aren't doing PS4 trade in right now.

He's talked quite a lot about getting thru college while doing the least amount of course work possible.

IIRC, Brad once stopped him from going into too much detail about one of his get-out-of-doing-work schemes that may have been a little too close to actual cheating.

I think Dan also mentioned once he was in college for 6 years.

Thats a lot of time for a film degree

What kind of price do you expect to get?

I was thinking of trading mine in to Best Buy but they aren't doing PS4 trade in right now.

I feel like 250 would be fair if I sold it directly to someone.

Trading it in you are probably gonna get 200 or lower I would guess. I should check what the current going rates are.

I think Brad was also mad that he had such a relaxed take on college. Although reading Anxiety As An Ally, I would hardly call Dan's experience "easy."

Curufinwe

I feel like 250 would be fair if I sold it directly to someone.

Trading it in you are probably gonna get 200 or lower I would guess. I should check what the current going rates are.

So I did the trade in thing again on the BB site and PS4s are being accepted again.

Your Estimated Trade-In Value: $200.00

I should probably do this soon since we have another PS4 in the house I could play until Neo comes out.

Xater

Oh man Jim sterling put his No Man's Sky review out. That review thread will soon turn into a delicious blood bath.

I sold my PS4 last month for 270€ on eBay. Bought an Xbox One S and now I am looking into how the Neo situation will shake out.

Dineren

Banned
Yeah I saw they also added landing on planets to that game. I might actually buy that for the Xbox One.

Flying in Elite is a blast. That's probably my biggest disappointment watching the NMS streams, I didn't expect a realistic flight sim or anything, but the flying in it seems really basic. I don't think you can even manually land can you? It looked like you hit square and it always lands for you. My ideal game would combine the procedurally generated planets and creatures with Elite's flight model.

Unfortunately planetary exploration in Elite isn't that interesting at the moment. It's fun to land on planets, but there isn't much there to see once you've been on one or two.

Oh man Jim sterling put his No Man's Sky review out. That review thread will soon turn into a delicious blood bath.

I don't think it will be that bad...

*Looks at 5/10 score*

Get your popcorn ready

Edit: He even makes the Spore comparison, that's gonna rustle some jimmies

Xater

Flying in Elite is a blast. That's probably my biggest disappointment watching the NMS streams, I didn't expect a realistic flight sim or anything, but the flying in it seems really basic. I don't think you can even manually land can you? It looked like you hit square and it always lands for you. My ideal game would combine the procedurally generated planets and creatures with Elite's flight model.

Unfortunately planetary exploration in Elite isn't that interesting at the moment. It's fun to land on planets, but there isn't much there to see once you've been on one or two.

A shame, but I am still interested in the game. Seems to be the only accessible space sim to me.

Xater

I know it's a bit blasphemous to say on here, but I started vanquish 2 (maybe 3) times over the years and could never make it more than like 5 hours into the game. It never clicked with me... But I know I'm in the minority with that game.

I liked it, but I also don't think it's as good as some people make it out to be.

Personally I am not that surprised about Jim's review. I bet he will not be the only one who is bored by what this game offers. Hell that was my impression from the QL as well. It's not for me but it might be for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom