• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I love Fight Club and Boondock Saints, but I think they hit on a good point on the Bombcast that if you're a grown-ass man, and you think unironically that those are incredible brilliant movies, or even your favorite movies, you have fucking problems.

That being said, Dan loves Commando and The Rock, and Boondock Saints is still better as a dumb action movie than either of those.

BearPawB

Banned
I love Fight Club and Boondock Saints, but I think they hit on a good point on the Bombcast that if you're a grown-ass man, and you think ironically that those are incredible brilliant movies, or even your favorite movies, you have fucking problems.

That being said, Dan loves Commando and The Rock, and Boondock Saints is still better as a dumb action movie than either of those.

You are wrong about the second part.

Those movies know theyre dumb. Boondock Saints thinks its the coolest shit ever

I came to Boondock Saints way too late and the only thing I liked about it was Dafoe and I thought the cat part was kind of funny in a fucked up kind of way.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jeff's got this weird opinion that I've seen a few other people share, assuming people who like fight club are fans of the Tyler durden message. That was never why fight club was great and I have to wonder how that perception happened. Boondock saints was always some garbage though

LiK

Jeff's got this weird opinion that I've seen a few other people share, assuming people who like fight club are fans of the Tyler durden message. That was never why fight club was great and I have to wonder how that happened. Boondock saints was always some garbage though

wssn't the whole message about Fight Club the opposite of what was presented? It was never about what it was about especially after the twist. Not sure why Jeff says people should hate the movie when they get older. The message was clear.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
wssn't the whole message about Fight Club the opposite of what was presented? It was never about what it was about especially after the twist. Not sure why Jeff says people should hate the movie when they get older. The message was clear.

Yeah I really don't get it. It's easy enough to imagine that Jeff knew some giant dbag who loved the parts of Fight Club where they were punching and blowing stuff up but hated when they stopped to talk all the damn time and got turned off from the movie on whole.

Jeff's got this weird opinion that I've seen a few other people share, assuming people who like fight club are fans of the Tyler durden message. That was never why fight club was great and I have to wonder how that perception happened. Boondock saints was always some garbage though

Yeah, I think of this every time that comes up and he and Dan trash it. Tyler's message was never supposed to be the point of the film (at least in terms of it endorsing a worldview) which is why the narrator rejects him at its conclusion.

justjim89

Do you mean unironically jim?

I think the same about Donnie Darko. Watching it as an adult, it seems like baby's first philosophy.

Yeah, I meant unironically, my bad.

And yeah, even though Fight Club's message isn't the same as Tyler's message, it's still a really silly, sophomoric movie that really goes up its own ass way too far. And grown ass adults that love Fight Club often take Tyler's message away from it and go "You know, he has a good point!" I like the movie and all, but it's one of those things where the fan base actively makes the core product worse.

Btw, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first proper PC build and have the parts listed on the tumblr. If any of you PC-savvy types would give it a once over, that'd be great. This'll be more money than I personally have spent on anything at once in my life, so I'd like to not do anything stupid.

Salarians

His undercut isn't bad, but he should bring the beard back with it.
The Geralt look.
tumblr_nv4stiJ97v1rpd9dfo2_250.gif

I've stayed away from this thread since I heard about Austin leaving. It really, really bummed me out even though I'm sure he'll do great things with Vice. I have no idea who they'll get to replace him, but they probably shouldn't get another PhD candidate. He was super overqualified and I think we all knew it deep down.

Btw, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first proper PC build and have the parts listed on the tumblr. If any of you PC-savvy types would give it a once over, that'd be great. This'll be more money than I personally have spent on anything at once in my life, so I'd like to not do anything stupid.

Your build looks good, but are you married to that motherboard? I think you'll find you wish you had more USB ports at some point, and you only have the two RAM slots. In general mini ITX is not my favorite form factor because of these things.

Myggen

Jeff didn't say anything about assuming people who like Fight Club are fans of the Tyler Durden message.

I like Fight Club as a film. The story is pretty mediocre, but the way it tells that story is great. The book is trash, Chuck Palahniuk is a hack.

BearPawB

Banned
I've stayed away from this thread since I heard about Austin leaving. It really, really bummed me out even though I'm sure he'll do great things with Vice. I have no idea who they'll get to replace him, but they probably shouldn't get another PhD candidate. He was super overqualified and I think we all knew it deep down.

the thing is, Austin was MOSTLY an unknown to most of us.

There are a ton of awesome people out there that are just as unknown (to us).

I do wonder how much GB pays relative to other sites. Do gamespot peeps make more? or less?

I think certainly some of the guest authors Austin brought on would be good fits.

Nick Capozzoli would be interesting, and hes a new yorker but idk if he has any interest in video content, but i always find is twitter entertaining for his willingness to call out bad writing on game sites.

Oh yeah, and I forgot Danielle Riendeau moved to New York, she could be a great fit

justjim89

Your build looks good, but are you married to that motherboard? I think you'll find you wish you had more USB ports at some point, and you only have the two RAM slots. In general mini ITX is not my favorite form factor because of these things.

Not married to it, but I don't really know what would work and what wouldn't with the other parts. That's kinda why I'm just following a build guide. Only 2 usb ports on the case does seem a bit limiting, especially when I'll potentially need a keyboard, mouse, and gamepad all plugged in at once. But I'd assumed if push comes to shove, I could just get a hub. But, honestly, I'm still all ears as far as ideas go.

I think the same about Donnie Darko. Watching it as an adult, it seems like baby's first philosophy.

I still really like that movie, because it's just fucking weird and kind of creepy. Not so much for the actual mechanics of the plot or the time travel stuff. I think that movie knows exactly what it is. It's got good dialogue (baby mice is still hilarious), the screenplay is solid, its tone is off-kilter in just the right way... yeah, I think that movie is good, but probably not for all the same reasons I liked it as a teenager.

BearPawB

Banned
I still really like that movie, because it's just fucking weird and kind of creepy. Not so much for the actual mechanics of the plot or the time travel stuff. I think that movie knows exactly what it is. It's got good dialogue (baby mice is still hilarious), the screenplay is solid, its tone is off-kilter in just the right way... yeah, I think that movie is good, but probably not for all the same reasons I liked it as a teenager.

I would watch that movie for the soundtrack alone

Not married to it, but I don't really know what would work and what wouldn't with the other parts. That's kinda why I'm just following a build guide. Only 2 usb ports on the case does seem a bit limiting, especially when I'll potentially need a keyboard, mouse, and gamepad all plugged in at once. But I'd assumed if push comes to shove, I could just get a hub. But, honestly, I'm still all ears as far as ideas go.
Seems like you're looking for integrated wifi, which is probably why you ended up at that mobo. It's probably worthwhile to get a micro ATX board (slightly bigger, you'd need a different case) and a PCI-e wifi adapter. You'll get more DIMM slots, more USB ports, and additional PCI slots, all for less money. Something like this (or really any 1151 chipset board) would work with all your components save for the case.

If you really think you won't be hurting for USB ports and the other things I mentioned though, your current build is good. Keep in mind that a USB hub is not the same as integrated USB ports.
I agree. There are things to like about the film for sure, but not the ones I liked in high school.

My opinion of Donnie Darko took a hit when I saw a screening a few years ago with director Richard Kelly in attendance -- he was a jerk in general and at one point offered to help a woman in the crowd "sort out her daddy issues after the movie" during the Q&A. Not surprising his career flamed out. I still like parts of that movie but it's not the "HOLY SHIT MINDFUCK!" I thought it was as a teen.

Its taking a surprising amount of self control to not jump into the Anyone interested in a Mythology, Occult, Folkore? thread in the OT and start loving Folklore on the ps3

RIP Game Republic :(

I wonder what a Folklore quick look would have been like

My opinion of Donnie Darko took a hit when I saw a screening a few years ago with director Richard Kelly in attendance -- he was a jerk in general and at one point offered to help a woman in the crowd "sort out her daddy issues after the movie" during the Q&A. Not surprising his career flamed out. I still like parts of that movie but it's not the "HOLY SHIT MINDFUCK!" I thought it was as a teen.

Oof, that's a huge bummer. Yeah I don't know anything he's made since DD has made much of an impact.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
We probably get a MN9, Trials and maybe an Umbrella Corps QL this week. I'm ready.
Remember when No Man's Sky was supposed to be out by now?

ArjanN

You are wrong about the second part.

Those movies know theyre dumb. Boondock Saints thinks its the coolest shit ever

Pretty much.

Fight Club holds up pretty well, Boondock Saints was never actually good to begin with, it was always kind of a tryhard Tarantino-wannabe movie.

It is REALLY hard to follow up a "cult hit" for this reason.

Southland Tales is the definition of trying too hard

IMO a big part of that is just that making a great movie (or game) is catching lighting in a bottle anyway, as they're generally big projects with lots of people involved where dozens of different factors have to come together just right.

More people know about Gamergate than Watergate, man that bummed me out and I'm not even from the US lol. Furthermore, why would Nintendo even want to open that can of worms?

e: I should clarify that it read to me as Watergate but I could see why one could see Gamergate as well, I never dived into that mess so I just stayed out of it and don't know the specifics of that matter.

More people know about Gamergate than Watergate, man that bummed me out and I'm not even from the US lol. Furthermore, why would Nintendo even want to open that can of worms?

It wasn't the "gate" part alone that seems suspicious, but that alongside the specific mention of "five guys" which was a huge part of the harassment campaign against Zoe Quinn.

I doubt we'll know if it was intentional but if not it's a pretty big and terribly unfortunate coincidence.

God, I just unsubbed to get myself out of that thread, don't bring it in here too. Also noone there said they didn't know what Watergate is.

It wasn't the "gate" part alone that seems suspicious, but that alongside the specific mention of "five guys" which was a huge part of the harassment campaign against Zoe Quinn.

Yeah, I got out of there as well after seeing it in context which is all you needed anyway. It just seems like an unfortunate coincidence and a matter that Nintendo would most certainly not benefit from making a joke about.

Guess Who

Banned
I literally just installed TamperMonkey expressly so I could hide that thread.

I don't think the reference was intentional on Nintendo's part, but it's pretty hard to ignore that it could be read that way, and why it would bother Zoe. Nintendo's already been in hot water lately over the Alison Rapp shit as it is.

That fucking topic.

I want Quinn to continue doing the work she does, but it's outrage garbage like that which demeans her position. If you watch the context of the joke and not two random screengrabs, it's blatantly obvious it's a Watergate reference.

I literally just installed TamperMonkey expressly so I could hide that thread.

I don't think the reference was intentional on Nintendo's part, but it's pretty hard to ignore that it could be read that way, and why it would bother Zoe. Nintendo's already been in hot water lately over the Alison Rapp shit as it is.

Which is why it is understandable and at the same time just an unfortunate coincidence. Hopefully this doesn't cause any damages but we'll see, that thread is just exploding into multiple universes by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom