• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Yeah, it's a hell of a coincidence either way. People over explaining watergate as if we don't know should really knock it off and the ones being snide towards Zoe Quinn need to grow up.

Maiorum

I mean... I think it's probable that the joke didn't come from malignant motivations, but I feel that regardless, maybe they should have been more mindful about the parallels one could draw between it and GG, and avoided it?

I mean... I think it's probable that the joke didn't come from malignant motivations, but I feel that regardless, maybe they should have been more mindful about the parallels one could draw between it and GG, and avoided it?

Absolutely, especially in the context of the recent Alison Rapp saga.

That's only if Gamegate was a constant in their minds. Like, not everybody thinks about Gamergate every day, and if the translator was intent on making a Watergate joke(Plumbers! Fungi! Gates!), GG probably wasn't on their radar.

If you watch the context of the joke and not two random screengrabs, it's blatantly obvious it's a Watergate reference.

yup. some unfortunate things aligning for sure I guess but watching clip, I can't imagine any other intention.

and jesus christ that thread

That's only if Gamegate was a constant in their minds. Like, not everybody thinks about Gamergate every day, and if the translator was intent on making a Watergate joke(Plumbers! Fungi! Gates!), GG probably wasn't on their radar.

like listen, I understand it was a very big thing in our very specific niche of contacts and interests. fucking nobody on the outside has any clue what any of that nonsense was about.

We really shouldn't get into it since we're probably just going to hit the bases that the thread is. Why attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

Sakwoff

Holy shit that thread is vile. Funny how quickly it became "pile on the woman because SHE'S WROOOONG". Hope it gets purged soon.

Jintor

I feel like these days companies shouldn't remain silent on these issues when they pop up, especially if they're involved directly... I don't believe it's intentional, but it still sucks, huh.

Myggen

Oh god are people really dragging that toxic mess of a thread in here.

I can't believe how people can get that angry at a tweet like that.

Guess Who

Banned
We really shouldn't get into it since we're probably just going to hit the bases that the thread is. Why attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

The nice thing about community threads is they generally foster a smaller, tighter community of posters where reasonable discussion can exist rather than the horrible nightmare clusterfuck of whatever is going on in the Gaming forum thread

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It would be an odd coincidence though there are 5 toads. If you don't know enough about the GG shit, of course you wouldn't phrase that differently, especially in combination with the "fun guy = fungi" play on words. So you just kinda arive at "five fun guys".
Seems more like a really, really unfortunate coincidence

Actually that thread made me realize something, did Gators intentionally follow the bulletpoints of Watergate or is that a weird coincidence too?

Nintendo will probably just remove the joke or make it four toads instead.

HEY SO I GOT OVERWATCH ON BOTH PC AND PS4 I'D JUST LIKE TO TALK ABOUT that game because it's better than w/e you all are talking about and I main Mercy but Reaper and D.Va are cool too...

Any suggestions for best Austin content? Wanna do a victory lap before they send him off.

That Gundam QL was great, Project Beast, Will Smith is here. Legit all Beastcast things, he's almost always on fire in them.

Vinny's going to need to install an "Austin's Laugh" button on his sound board.

Jintor

Huh a thoughtful modbot thread closer for once. I can only hope in some small way it helps.

D.va hopefully will get some buffs so she can be best playing as well as best waifu soon.

repeater

Austin's tweets mirror my thoughts and present them eloquently.
Is4sioF.jpg

?

Twilight Struggle QL with Drew is the first thing that comes to mind. All of his written stuff, too. And of course, Contradiction/Until Dawn content.

I heard alot about Life is Strange playthrough being damn good. I myself didn't see it because I am waiting to play the game myself(I have it but I keep playing other games)

They couldn't get into this taste of blood in the water whetting my appetite experience with this top 10 of E3 2016 with the Beastcast crew too?

Jintor

I'm hoping for a damage buff, she seems more like a mobility flanker but it's hampered because ATM you go somewhere and can't actually do anything except self destruct because your range/damage is so low

Fantastapotamus

HEY SO I GOT OVERWATCH ON BOTH PC AND PS4 I'D JUST LIKE TO TALK ABOUT that game because it's better than w/e you all are talking about and I main Mercy but Reaper and D.Va are cool too...

I don't understand D.Va she seems super boring. I put her in the "Characters I don't like" camp, right next to Zarya (?) and Toblerone.
Playing Mercy is too passive for me, but she is the most useful healer (I don't even know how Syme...little turrety lady is a healer)

Take away from the Paper Mario thing is agreeing with Austin but moreso, woof, treehouse localization isn't what it once was, huh?

I dunno, "Fun guys" is a pretty clever pun

I'm hoping for a damage buff, she seems more like a mobility flanker but it's hampered because ATM you go somewhere and can't actually do anything except self destruct because your range/damage is so low

That would make sense and it's the direction I hope they take. IIRC the specific change would be an increase to her effective range before damage dropoff.

I don't understand D.Va she seems super boring. I put her in the "Characters I don't like" camp, right next to Zarya (?) and Toblerone.
Playing Mercy is too passive for me, but she is the most useful healer (I don't even know how Syme...little turrety lady is a healer)

Zarya's damage is disgusting at 100% charge. She can be a lot of fun from what I've seen.

Symmetra falls under healer probably because she can apply shields to people, and in a way her teleporter is a reusable Revive.

Best Austin content is probably Kerbal, for Maximum "Vinny!" Although it does simmer down towards the end.

His Extra Life stream is also fantastic, both in terms of what he plays and just his general banter with the chat.

The correct answer is "woof." Unless I'm worse at Twitter than I thought.

I dunno, "Fun guys" is a pretty clever pun

D.va exists to make a supporting hero or sniper's life misery. There is nowhere they can escape to. There is nothing they can hit her with to stop her. There is no survival against D.va.

She's basically a different kind of Tracer--meant for team disruption. She's very hit-and-run oriented, a real skirmisher.

Jintor

Take away from the Paper Mario thing is agreeing with Austin but moreso, woof, treehouse localization isn't what it once was, huh?

gg no re

I feel like 8-4 got a better localisation out for awakening than treehouse did with fates, but I don't know if that was a source material problem or not

The McCree nerf helped a lot, and I know she's next for examination on buff. They're talking about more damage or more health, but not both, I believe.

I'd prefer more health personally. I love playing as her, but I care way more about survival and her potential strategy than gunning down.

It's possible I used her a lot because I haven't pushed myself to learn many other characters.

repeater

I would really like DVa to be properly buffed, she's such an awesome character design artwise and I would like to have a good tank alternative for when I get bored with Reinhardt, but right now I just feel like I blow up way too quick when I try to play her.

The correct answer is "woof." Unless I'm worse at Twitter than I thought.
I was just making a funny. :)

Lucio is my preferred healer since he heals the whole team, moves quick, and can dust opponents if needed. Mercy's ultimate is great but her standard healing capabilities are good for topping up a bastion or Reinhardt.

D.Va I only use if my team needs to go into overtime. I can get to the control point fast, have a shield ability, high HP, and can last longer out of the mech waiting for my team to back me up..,which they never do.

Jintor

I really want that offence change to D.Va. I love her mobility but it's bizarre how it feels like her pistol is actually more powerful for harrassment than her god damn mech.

Zarya is really fun, but you have to realise a few things: a) Her gun gets charged up by damage her shields take, and b) her 'other person' shield literally lasts 2 seconds so there's not much point buffing someone who isn't currently under fire. At 50% charge or higher though she fucking cleans house. Don't forget her alt-fire on the laser.

Her ult is great for combos but can barely do anything on its own kill-wise without a full charge (though I swear I saw someone gravity well an entire team off a cliff once)

I would really like DVa to be properly buffed, she's such an awesome character design artwise and I would like to have a good tank alternative for when I get bored with Reinhardt, but right now I just feel like I blow up way too quick when I try to play her.

I was just making a funny. :)

Whoops.

I'd also want a tankier D.va. Her damage is fine, but you generally sacrifice a lot of health to stay in such a close range where her weapons are most effective.

Giving her more range on them or something isn't what she's about. She isn't meant to sit behind a shield or anything like that, bombarding the enemy, but instead flanking them, getting up into their face, messing them up, and getting out again. Again, like Tracer... but tankier.

Her value as a tank comes from her ability to disrupt enemy teams, much like Winston. But she is much harder to pin down, which means people need to either spend time hunting her, or risk constant attacks on their flank. And of course, her ult is the ultimate room-clearing technique; very difficult to actually wipe a team out with, but useful for keeping them away when it matters, or just scuttling a fortified location.

Curufinwe

That fucking topic.

I want Quinn to continue doing the work she does, but it's outrage garbage like that which demeans her position. If you watch the context of the joke and not two random screengrabs, it's blatantly obvious it's a Watergate reference.

But that hasn't stopped the circle jerk of indignance on Twitter.

Her ult is great for combos but can barely do anything on its own kill-wise without a full charge (though I swear I saw someone gravity well an entire team off a cliff once)

Again with 100% charge that ult turns into a death chamber. And yes, you can suck people off cliffs.

Fantastapotamus

Zarya's damage is disgusting at 100% charge. She can be a lot of fun from what I've seen.

My biggest problem with Zarya is that I am terrible at judging her range. I just don't like her.
That's fine though, there are enough characters I really like. Roadhog is amazing, I love hooking people. He's my go-to tank.

Fantastapotamus

Reinhardt for me. I really enjoy the combination of shielding and smashing.

He is my other tank. Dashing off the map with 2-3 other people is consistently fun, even if it's stupid.

Also, and I know I'm probably in the minority here, but....I kinda think all the different skins suck. I've yet to see a skin and thought "Man, that looks better than the original"
Kinda like with TF2, I like the Vanilla designs the most.

I'm still angry when I get 4 Sprays and a Voice line for leveling up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom