• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the top of my head I'd probably rank the MGScanlons 1, 3, 2, 4, then 5 (though 5 finished strong). You just can't beat Drew's first plunge into the madness.

I started my rewatch a couple of weeks ago, 5 eps in mgs2 now. Highly recommend doing it.

I feel that rewatching MGScanlon is so easy. It's always entertaining to watch Drew experience it, and you always catch new things each time.

Like, once I'm done watching MGS4, I might start rewatching from MGS1 again...MGSV is a chore tho >_> some memorable moments but...eh...

Drew's reaction to the craziness at the end of MGS2 was preeetty great.

Dammit, now I want to rewatch the entire series.

NzvwkNT.gif

Off the top of my head I'd probably rank the MGScanlons 1, 3, 2, 4, then 5 (though 5 finished strong). You just can't beat Drew's first plunge into the madness.

It's very tough for me to rank them because what makes this series is seeing Drew's journey and growth within the madness. You can tell that by MGS5 he's thinking like Kojima when it comes to the plot. The reason this series is amazing is that as a big MGS fan, I always wanted to go through the games with someone who never played the games, sitting next to me, just so I could see their reactions and discuss with them where they think the story is going to go before we continue. Dan's excitement while going along with Drew probably mirrors everyone else's that played the games.

It's very tough for me to rank them because what makes this series is seeing Drew's journey and growth within the madness. You can tell that by MGS5 he's thinking like Kojima when it comes to the plot. The reason this series is amazing is that as a big MGS fan, I always wanted to go through the games with someone who never played the games, sitting next to me, just so I could see their reactions and discuss with them where they think the story is going to go before we continue. Dan's excitement while going along with Drew probably mirrors everyone else's that played the games.

Also at this point we have to thank MGS for Drews glorious beard >_> it changed him

Kaizer

Banned
You guys are convincing me to rewatch MGScanlon too, probably one of my favorite things Giant Bomb has ever done. I remember being really sad when the final episode of MGScanlon V ended, even if it was rough & a slog at times to watch. Best in the series for me is probably MGScalon 2, just for the joy of watching Drew react to the endgame's madness & of course the dreaded Strut F.

I used to want (hope) that No Man's Sky would come to PSVR (when I saw it was 30FPS those hopes were dashed), but after playing it for a bit, I'm not to sure the game would be comfortable as a VR game, even on PC with HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.

Houndi101

So if one wanted to decide between Starbound and NMS, seems like Starbound would be the better choice at the moment, hell of a lot cheaper too.
And one of the NMS threads had someones story of a prison colony planet where some experiments went wrong which sounded much more interesting than anything from NMS so far..

I used to want (hope) that No Man's Sky would come to PSVR (when I saw it was 30FPS those hopes were dashed), but after playing it for a bit, I'm not to sure the game would be comfortable as a VR game, even on PC with HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.

The on foot stuff probably wouldn't be too great in VR but the space stuff would be incredible. You'd get a sense of scale and distance. Space in NMS feels a hell of a lot like Elite Dangerous and space stuff in that game in VR is amazing.

That this has not happened yet is a crime beyond reason.

It'd be a good thing for someone like Volition to do. Combine their desire to do irreverent games featuring over-the-top action with a writer that's actually funny to balance it out.

although Archer was never better than those first two seasons

Patryn

This giant No Man's Sky controversy baffles the shit out of me. I had no idea so many people were convinced that they could posse up with their friends and do whatever.

I had always gotten the impression that the game was a single-player game with some common elements in the naming of stuff.

I have no idea how so many people obviously bought the game convinced it was an MMO.

derFeef

This giant No Man's Sky controversy baffles the shit out of me. I had no idea so many people were convinced that they could posse up with their friends and do whatever.

I had always gotten the impression that the game was a single-player game with some common elements in the naming of stuff.

I have no idea how so many people obviously bought the game convinced it was an MMO.

Whishful thinking maybe? I think the fact that there are so many multiplayer sandbox/survival games out there make some people think a MP feature is mandatory for those kind of games.

Xater

The idea of the game people built in their head was far removed from reality. That has been obvious for a while.

Patryn

The idea of the game people built in their head was far removed from reality. That has been obvious for a while.

Yeah, I posted my thoughts in the sticker thread where I got a person responding with a YouTube video where Sean does indicate it might be possible to see another player, but then immediately every time brings up that there is a very, very small chance of it ever happening (I think he uses the phrase infinitesimally small at one point). Couple that with them never, ever showing off any multiplayer gameplay at all, and only bringing it up in response to direct questions about the possibility of multi and I have no idea why these people built it up in their heads.

Actually, scratch that, I can understand. I just think they need to blame themselves and stop grasping at straws.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely on Sean, too. He can't just say "it's very unlikely two players will meet" to the question if players can play together, that's not an answer to the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A (The video you're probably talking about.)

Colbert: Can you run into other people, other players, in the game?
Murray: Yes. But the chances of that are incredibly rare.

Zaph

There is video footage out there of Sean saying you could play with your friends, you could grief people, you could find someone else, it's just unlikely (which in gamer-speak, is just a potential challenge) and there's a 'floating' open lobby around every player.

NMS is a case study on the importance of good messaging and marketing. Not everyone follows every piece of news like a lot of gaffers, so it's important to get it right first time and not rely on corrections/clarifications.

No doubt there are a lot of people being very disingenuous in their claims of what they understood the game to be, but regardless, this is a problem of Hello Games/Sony's making.

That said, the game still looks pretty damn impressive, and I'm really hoping the PC version isn't completely broken.

convo

There is video footage out there of Sean saying you could play with your friends, you could grief people, you could find someone else, it's just unlikely (which in gamer-speak, is just a potential challenge) and there's a 'floating' open lobby around every player.

NMS is a case study on the importance of good messaging and marketing. Not everyone follows every piece of news like a lot of gaffers, so it's important to get it right first time and not rely on corrections/clarifications.

No doubt there are a lot of people being very disingenuous in their claims of what they understood the game to be, but regardless, this is a problem of Hello Games/Sony's making.

That said, the game still looks pretty damn impressive, and I'm really hoping the PC version isn't completely broken.

That seems to be all of the talk on the internet from what i can tell, but they could need more people that could just talk about features which Hello games don't have right now.
It's rather sad that the few people there that can ellaborate should rather be working on the game instead. It's just not enough people to brace for the storm of complaints.

yeah this seems accurate, and a good lesson in "if you set gamers a near-impossible challenge, they'll try to complete it." and honestly I'm not sure what he was expecting after effectively issuing that challenge.

it's a little concerning that the pc version is out tomorrow and we don't know dick about it.

It could work on Vive/Rift. It's not like a teleportation mechanic for on-foot locomotion would unbalance some delicate combat system or something.

Patryn

Now, I'm aware of video of him saying that you can see other people, but do you have a link to the video of him saying that you could play with your friends and grief people? Explicitly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom