• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Some people decide to hate a game and will take every little opportunity to shit on it.

Some people decide to love a game and will take every little opportunity to defend it to the death.

Majority of people are somewhere in the middle. Boards like GAF just expose the extremes a lot more.

Some people decide to hate a game and will take every little opportunity to shit on it.

Some people decide to love a game and will take every little opportunity to defend it to the death.

Majority of people are somewhere in the middle. Boards like GAF just expose the extremes a lot more.

I was just about to come in here and say the NMS discussions are unbearable because the conversation is dominated by the most annoying extremes.

Curufinwe

I deleted some of my old save and captures on the PS4 last night since I'm really thinking about trading it in before the Neo announcement in case the value drops suddenly.

The Back Up utility count was clocking in at around 4 GB once I deselected apps. I figure it would be faster to just download any of my digital games that I wanted on the Neo than back them up.

I feel like all that mixed messaging is a consequence of making the game director also handle PR and interviews -- on a purely impressional basis Sean doesn't seem like the "mmmyes, time to deceive!" type. He might have been letting his aspirations (or ideas for post-launch content) speak instead of what was actually in the game, which wasn't malicious but still a real bad look right now.

PowerTaxi

Banned
One of the only things I don't like about No Man's Sky is that I can't find the system I started in.

Fecking thing doesn't seem to exist anymore.

2876300-cp_wormswmd_ql_08102016.00_42_08_31.still002.jpg

Quick Look: Worms W.M.D
There is an amazing subtlety and patience to playing Worms... and then there is the Concrete Donkey.

BEAST JOINT.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty convinced that they were/are trying to get some multiplayer going but it's either been scrapped completely or is barely working. The next week should probably be enough to get more information about it.

Also, GB's NMS videos have been doing pretty well. Can't remember the last video that broke 100k views on Youtube.

Kimaka

There is video footage out there of Sean saying you could play with your friends, you could grief people, you could find someone else, it's just unlikely (which in gamer-speak, is just a potential challenge) and there's a 'floating' open lobby around every player.

NMS is a case study on the importance of good messaging and marketing. Not everyone follows every piece of news like a lot of gaffers, so it's important to get it right first time and not rely on corrections/clarifications.

No doubt there are a lot of people being very disingenuous in their claims of what they understood the game to be, but regardless, this is a problem of Hello Games/Sony's making.

That said, the game still looks pretty damn impressive, and I'm really hoping the PC version isn't completely broken.

When NMS's marketing got upgraded to AAA quality, they really should have hired a PR person. I don't think Hello Games/Sean were being intentionally dishonest, but were giving responses based on what they would like to have implemented by release and not what was 100% fully in the game. If you don't have a feature definitely in the game, the response should just be a "No" not a "Maybe" because features that you plan to have don't always come to fruition. Or at the very least, clarify much talked about features such as the online play better weeks before release not days.

Although I am not convinced that the possibility to meet other players isn't in the game now (could be because of server issues or they are in two different server instances), I wish they would say what is happening that prevents players from seeing each other or if the feature was removed so I can stop seeing this controversy pop up everywhere.

KingKong

When NMS's marketing got upgraded to AAA quality, they really should have hired a PR person. I don't think Hello Games/Sean were being intentionally dishonest, but were giving responses based on what they would like to have implemented by release and not what was 100% fully in the game. If you don't have a feature definitely in the game, the response should just be a "No" not a "Maybe" because features that you plan to have don't always come to fruition. Or at the very least, clarify much talked about features such as the online play better weeks before release not days.

Although I am not convinced that the possibility to meet other players isn't in the game now (could be because of server issues or they are in two different server instances), I wish they would say what is happening that prevents players from seeing each other or if the feature was removed so I can stop seeing this controversy pop up everywhere.

I think the bigger issue is that their vagueness to explain anything, which they said was because they wanted people to find things for themselves, turned out to be because there's nothing more to the game after your first impression

killroy87

This whole No Man's Sky thing has become so ridiculous, that I actually feel bad for the devs.

Maybe not 100%, but a good 90% of all this "controversy" is because people simply decided to let their imaginations run wild with what they wanted this game to be. And no, the Hello Games folk are not inherently required to spell out exactly what the game is beforehand. They have every artistic right to leave certain aspects to an element of mystery, just like we as the consumer have every right to not pre-order or buy the game blind on day one.

If you're disappointed in what the game ended up being, silly you, you should have waited.

Maybe not 100%, but a good 90% of all this "controversy" is because people simply decided to let their imaginations run wild with what they wanted this game to be. And no, the Hello Games folk are not inherently required to spell out exactly what the game is beforehand. They have every artistic right to leave certain aspects to an element of mystery, just like we as the consumer have every right to not pre-order or buy the game blind on day one.

Not outright saying "no" about the player interaction stuff is a pretty hefty 10%.

Ketch

There are so many NMS threads to talk about NMS in. Plenty of people to validate your opinions positive or negative over there.

What I want to know is when's the next GB feature? What's it gonna be?

killroy87

Not outright saying "no" about the player interaction stuff is a pretty hefty 10%.

Not if they never spent any time talking about how player interaction did work in the game. If it's a hefty 10%, it's because the consumers decided "wouldn't it be cool if you actually did see another player", and just ran with it.

Edit: I was mistaken about him never referring to players interacting with each other

Ketch

Not if they never spent any time talking about how player interaction did work in the game. If it's a hefty 10%, it's because the consumers decided "wouldn't it be cool if you actually did see another player", and just ran with it.

1. You're actually wrong about the devs not talking about it.

2. There's like 4 NMS threads on the front page. Pls don't fill this thread with more of the exact same shit.

No Dan's Sky. Dan, Vinny and Brad sit down, play NMS and talk about space.

Don't know if I think that'd be any fun. Like minecraft or terraria I don't think would be great for it either. But, I guess space engineers and that other space minecraft early access games were pretty great.... But those games are their own kind of special.

NzvwkNT.gif

It's very tough for me to rank them because what makes this series is seeing Drew's journey and growth within the madness. You can tell that by MGS5 he's thinking like Kojima when it comes to the plot. The reason this series is amazing is that as a big MGS fan, I always wanted to go through the games with someone who never played the games, sitting next to me, just so I could see their reactions and discuss with them where they think the story is going to go before we continue. Dan's excitement while going along with Drew probably mirrors everyone else's that played the games.

Drew emerged from that a broken man, a Punished Drew, battle-weary and bitter. :p

Gurrry

I am gonna buy NMS tonight or tomorrow, whenever it comes out. Even though I feel I have seen all there is to it.

It seems like all you do is goto a planet, mine it for resources constantly, find one of those buildings and do some trade, and leave for a new planet and repeat.

That gameplay loop doesnt really hook me like I want it to... however.. I feel like mods and future updates is what will keep me playing.

For one, I want a mod that lets me blow an entire planet up. I dont care if I have to play offline for this, I want to be a deathstar. The fact that this isnt in the game already is a whole different debate... but I am praying that a modder can do this. Basically, I hope that mods arent limited to cosmetics only.

So many people had dreams about what this game could be, that I think those same people will want to go in and fix/add things that help fulfill their dreams.

I am gonna buy NMS tonight or tomorrow, whenever it comes out. Even though I feel I have seen all there is to it.

It seems like all you do is goto a planet, mine it for resources constantly, find one of those buildings and do some trade, and leave for a new planet and repeat.

That gameplay loop doesnt really hook me like I want it to... however.. I feel like mods and future updates is what will keep me playing.

For one, I want a mod that lets me blow an entire planet up. I dont care if I have to play offline for this, I want to be a deathstar. The fact that this isnt in the game already is a whole different debate... but I am praying that a modder can do this. Basically, I hope that mods arent limited to cosmetics only.

So many people had dreams about what this game could be, that I think those same people will want to go in and fix/add things that help fulfill their dreams.

This is kind of my feeling. The Quick Look had me interested when I wasn't before, but hearing some day 2/day 3 impressions seems to indicate there isn't much more to the loop of "go to planet, get resources, move on." Elite Dangerous certainly had its issues with lack of depth, but I think the permanency and more natural economy was more appealing than what NMS can offer.

Either way, this just leads back to how good X3 was, how disappointing X:Rebirth was, and how much I hope Star Citizen gets it right.

Chuck

Still without luck
Speaking of No Man's Sky, did Alex get the game early from a store in NY that sold it early? I remember him playing it early but didn't look into it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
In the latest Bombcast they said something about "getting review copies late". Sounded like they got one.

Watched the latest Cruiserweight Classic episode today and listened to the new Adventure Zone

Possible wrestling match of the year and a top tier podcast has one its best episodes

So I guess....how's that Worms W.M.D. Quick Look?

Rainmaker

Banned
Watched the latest Cruiserweight Classic episode today and listened to the new Adventure Zone

Possible wrestling match of the year and a top tier podcast has one its best episodes

So I guess....how's that Worms W.M.D. Quick Look?

Yep. I think my Match of The Year candidates so far are Zayn vs Owens from Battleground, Ishii vs Okada, and then that Ibushi vs Alexander match. ROH really missed the ball with Cedric.

Just finished the Worms QL and it's pretty damn enjoyable!

Teddified

huh

Now I need to decide if I want to stay up for the stream.

Must be one of those Jeff plays random games on steam that people in the chat vote for streams.

killroy87

I'm surprised they aren't leaning more heavily on NMS content, at least during launch week. Seems ripe for a 2-3 hour "Let's Discover Some Planets" stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom