• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that people are frustrated because of the game's confusing and vague marketing campaign when it's basically a very light survival game. And the confusion over the multiplayer, a fire fuelled by the poor messaging. But yeah a lot of people take it to extremes. PC version sounds pretty damn busted though.
Yeah definitely, it's more the people that take glee in the game getting bad reviews who were never going to play it in the first place. I understand animosity toward the PC version being completely fucked.

popo

With him getting married so recently I don't think the Green card is marriage-related.

That is what I meant. Getting married is one of the easiest routes, that is why it gets abused with sham marriages etc. More likely the process was already along the line by the time he decided to tie the knot.

yup

Reminder that you're talking about a terminally ill man

Edit Total biscuit, not Danny

Don't care. He has some pretty terrible opinions. Me making a rather obvious joke about his silly youtube name is me playing nice.

I changed like 3 things and now have it running at a solid 60 so it ain't Arkham Knight bad for me. But it's definitely got some major issues, even beyond performance (which hopefully can be sorted out for everyone quickly). The UI being 100% identical to the PS4 version (as in hold down mouse click to change menu settings), poor image quality, and no real improvements to pop-in are the main problems for me.

What do you think you are going to achieve by being reasonable? Now grab your pitch fork and lets go have us a lynching.

FStop7

Banned
That is what I meant. Getting married is one of the easiest routes, that is why it gets abused with sham marriages etc. More likely the process was already along the line by the time he decided to tie the knot.

yup

Don't care. He has some pretty terrible opinions. Me making a rather obvious joke about his silly youtube name is me playing nice.

What do you think you are going to achieve by being reasonable? Now grab your pitch fork and lets go have us a lynching.

And that's enough Internet for the day for me.

Meneses

The last part of the Beastcast is precisely why I appreciate Dan's willingness to ask questions most people would consider stupid. I'm 100% with Vinny: the answers to those dumbass questions are usually taken for granted, with little consideration given to a) the constantly shifting methodologies used to produce them and b) the complex reasoning behind something as simple as a statement like "No, of course a fucking chicken isn't a mammal." Even his stupid history questions help shine a light on common historiographic concerns about how history is catalogued, taught, and subsequently interpreted.

Definitely.

Actually, the thing Dan said finding it mindblowing that everything is "made of dust and sand" is similar to something that has always kinda overwhelmed me. Like, progress is an unbelievable thing. I'm still dumbfounded at how we can be watching something come out of a TV, or how they used to fit videogames in audio cassettes, or even how I'm able to write this post and everyone will read it a second later.

I know it's silly but I definitely relate.

I really wish you could land on atmospheric planets in Elite. I almost caved on NMS after deciding to wait and then I checked the PC performance thread and held off again.

I really wish you could land on atmospheric planets in Elite. I almost caved on NMS after deciding to wait and then I checked the PC performance thread and held off again.

I wish there was more to do in Elite, but at the very least flying your ship with a HOTAS is a fun and engaging thing to do. I'm gonna give NMS two hours later today when I get home since it's gonna be like a 2 minute download, but from what I hear it's really gonna have to blow me away to stick with it.

It really does seem like it should have been an early access game. the price tag is what will sink it and color all this reaction.

Edit: I also feel like Sony isn't getting enough blame for their hand in this. Poor Sean is getting ripped to shreds by the mob, but I'm pretty sure he didn't direct this game's marketing. Sony saw an opportunity and, quite frankly, exploited an indie game.

I wish there was more to do in Elite, but at the very least flying your ship with a HOTAS is a fun and engaging thing to do. I'm gonna give NMS two hours later today when I get home since it's gonna be like a 2 minute download, but from what I hear it's really gonna have to blow me away to stick with it.

It really does seem like it should have been an early access game. the price tag is what will sink it and color all this reaction.

Edit: I also feel like Sony isn't getting enough blame for their hand in this. Poor Sean is getting ripped to shreds by the mob, but I'm pretty sure he didn't direct this game's marketing. Sony saw an opportunity and, quite frankly, exploited an indie game.

Well big Elite news apparently coming next week at Gamescom.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My favorite part about that gravity conversation is how Dan of all people draws the connection to the whirling dervish carnival rides and in doing so is actually touching on a very important part of the theory of relativity, and it goes completely unnoticed

You know, Jeff is really good at hiring people. He has a good eye for talent.

Yeah that's the thing. when everyone was freaking out about the Dan stuff, the one thing in the back of my head was that I really, really trust Jeff to make good decisions regarding the future of the site.

Not sure what Sony did wrong. Didnt Adam say on this weeks bombcast that No Mans Sky is a self funded & self marketed game and that Hello Games where the ones organising most of their own media appearances? Sean was saying what he wanted to say. Maybe someone at Sony should have stepped in at some point and said "maybe you should stop saying it has multiplayer" though.

They probably should not have commuted to the PC release to be so close to the console release. PC gaming audience is notoriously picky (yet alone the PC space sim audiance which is its own ultra hardcore sect you dont want to mess with) and if the game is good they dont mind waiting.

Hello Games should have held off and done the PC version a few months later. Give it the time it needs. Add novint falcon support, support for every monitor under the sun and whatever else the kids like these days.

Anyway. Who do I have to yell at to greenlight Joe Danger 3 now?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
What was the address for the latest GB content? I missed the second half of VinnyVania.

Same. I think it looks like a pretty shallow game overall but goddamn if I don't just wanna fly around space and check out some random planets and feel tiny and insignificant. I just really wish there was more to it, a little more freedom... like the fact that you can only land on designated spots is terrible. I wonder if they'll make a lot of changes to it. Be curious to see what it looks like in a few months.

Tubobutts

The last part of the Beastcast is precisely why I appreciate Dan's willingness to ask questions most people would consider stupid. I'm 100% with Vinny: the answers to those dumbass questions are usually taken for granted, with little consideration given to a) the constantly shifting methodologies used to produce them and b) the complex reasoning behind something as simple as a statement like "No, of course a fucking chicken isn't a mammal." Even his stupid history questions help shine a light on common historiographic concerns about how history is catalogued, taught, and subsequently interpreted.
Yep Dan is truly a examplar of the Socratic method. We all should examine why we believe a chicken isn't a mammal, while Dan is the only one brave enough to question it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Same. I think it looks like a pretty shallow game overall but goddamn if I don't just wanna fly around space and check out some random planets and feel tiny and insignificant. I just really wish there was more to it, a little more freedom... like the fact that you can only land on designated spots is terrible. I wonder if they'll make a lot of changes to it. Be curious to see what it looks like in a few months.
Designated spots? You can land pretty much anywhere that is at least big enough to be considered land and I've landed on some tiny strips.

I think Dan would appreciate this. What if the title of the next thread has some reference to the show 24. Like something about things occurring in real time or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom