• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Jim Sterling and Yahtzee are the kind of guys who think saying words like cockwomble and jizztrumpet are the funniest things ever.

It seems to gain traction on the internet for some reason.

And what's with that outfit? Is it supposed to look like the Gestapo?

hamchan

I'll have you know that the instant Patrick left Giant Bomb and joined YouTube, I immediately realized how terrible he was and all his past work was declared to have no value whatsoever.

Tubobutts

I'll have you know that the instant Patrick left Giant Bomb and joined YouTube, I immediately realized how terrible he was and all his past work was declared to have no value whatsoever.
See, I never really liked Patrick so him becoming a Youtuber was a natural fit.

God you know what would be so funny is if there was a guy who reviewed games who was like really theatrically angry all the time. Could you even imagine?

Jim Sterling's pretty good, Yahtzee's a very intelligent and perceptive critic buried under piles of gimmick.

I think Jim's consumer advocacy videos and thinkpieces are incredibly valuable and far too rare in this industry, but his critiques and actual opinions on games do incredibly little for me- not in a Brad-style "I fundamentally disagree with this person, but his critique offers an interesting perspective to me", but in a "I don't really get any value out of this guy's opinion" kind of way.

Yahtzee's incision and critique is buried much too deep under his constant full-throated cynicism to be as effective as it can be. Few out there are remotely as good as tearing something apart that really needs it, but that's totally blunted by him treating every single game that he reviews in the same way. Unless he radically altered his style, he'd be utterly insufferable in an ongoing podcast.

Heart & Slash reminded me that CubeWorld was a thing. decided to check in on that only to find it hasn't been updated since 2013. early access is neat you guys!

BearPawB

Banned
Is this a serious post

Not really. But he does it a lot and it annoys me every time.

Why make a post if you aren't going to bother saying anything?

I actually find him to be a pretty good writer. And the things that bother me about him really bother me about a lot of youtuber sorts (i.e. Jim, Yahtzee, Angry Joe). I just don't have a lot of tolerance for people who get up in arms about every piece of drama. Or people who seem to think they are hilarious, and simply aren't.

KingKong

There are some good youtubers but they only release videos a few times a month because they actually spend time on interesting topics. Noah Caldwell Gervais and Mark Brown for example

Tubobutts

I was watching some YouTube guy who was talking about swords and I thought he was just a cool sword guy but then I watched some of his other videos and went to his website and he is apparently the worst person.

That's why you should never trust a youtuber.

FAVE 5 YOUTUBE DUDES

Hbomberguy
Jim Fucking Sterling Son
Super Bunny Hop
Noah Gervais
uhhhhh, oh XboxAhoy, the dude that does the super well animated videos

Strax

I actually find him to be a pretty good writer. And the things that bother me about him really bother me about a lot of youtuber sorts (i.e. Jim, Yahtzee, Angry Joe). I just don't have a lot of tolerance for people who get up in arms about every piece of drama. Or people who seem to think they are hilarious, and simply aren't.

Since when is Yahtzee a YouTuber?

BearPawB

Banned
Since when is Yahtzee a YouTuber?

I have no idea what Yahtzee does because I haven't seen anything hes done in years. To be honest I thought the escapist died years ago.
And I'm not sure if the distinction is really that important anyways. He makes videos for the express purpose of putting them online, and they all end up on youtube.

Is patrick really a youtuber then? Or is he a twitch streamer who uploads stuff to youtube?

Or to be a youtuber does it have to be your own personal channel?
Is that the only income you have is from youtube?

I'm to old to know what people mean when they say it

imBask

Banned
Fav 5 youtubers video game or not

Northernlion (eventhough I mostly watch his streams)
Super BunnyHop
Dunkey
H3h3
Red Letter Media

HM to Vsauce, PBS Spacetime and Jim Sterling. Oh and MKBHD

I also watch Good Mythical Morning every day before going to bed, it's relaxing

The only YouTubers I keep up with is Giant Bomb. His Quick Looks are pretty good.

It's pretty cool to think that one person can come up with so many distinct personas, let alone integrate them into the video convincingly.

Strax

I have no idea what Yahtzee does because I haven't seen anything hes done in years. To be honest I thought the escapist died years ago.
And I'm not sure if the distinction is really that important anyways. He makes videos for the express purpose of putting them online, and they all end up on youtube.

Is patrick really a youtuber then? Or is he a twitch streamer who uploads stuff to youtube?

Or to be a youtuber does it have to be your own personal channel?
Is that the only income you have is from youtube?

I'm to old to know what people mean when they say it

I'd say its the part I underlined (maybe not the only income but the main income). Yahtzee in the same place as Dan. Works for a website writing and talking about video game and that website also puts it on YouTube. They both have their own youtube channel which is basically Q&A with fans while playing games.

I think people associate the word YouTuber often with low quality from a production standpoint.

Speaking of Youtube, I usually watch this guy. He doesn't make videos often but when he does I always find him to be informative and well spoken. For my film needs I watch Zaranyzerak(I buy a ton of blurays so impressions/reviews/comparisons are always nice) and RLM for my general movie reviews. That's about it for me when it comes to Youtube.

In other news though, Rorie's stream so far has been going great.

e: How could I forget DOUBLE TOASTED as well.

Xater

Fav 5 Youtube dudes:

Super Best Friends
Super Bunnyhop
Errant Signal
Noah Gervais
Jim Sterling

Bonus Movie dude:

Red Letter Media
Moviebob
Chris Stuckmann

Fav 5 Youtube dudes:

Super Best Friends
Super Bunnyhop
Errant Signal
Noah Gervais
Jim Sterling

Bonus Movie dude:

Red Letter Media
Moviebob
Chris Stuckmann

I know nobody on that list except Red Letter Media, who are great. I've heard the name Jim Sterling but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm... Youtube Streams don't get archived instantly?

I saw Rorie's live stream on my subscribers list earlier but now that I want to watch it I can't find it on his channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom