• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Danny doesn't belong anywhere else but GB if GS fails. GS is his baby and he's not going to leave it unless something really bad happens, though.
I don't think Danny's going anywhere for now, but nothing would surprise me. Patrick's tweets about joining Vice were the cold, hard truth - there are very few paths to earning more money in that industry. It would have scared the shit out of me if I went into my 30's without regular pay rises.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Remember when Jeff and Captain America teamed up to save the secret Intel? I do. Thanks to the random Quick Look tool

iWAlodY.png

popo

The different points of view regarding site success are interesting. The bulk of the GAF audience see Gamespot as going downhill fast, but they seem to have maintained most of their market share while slashing costs. Traffic at the big sites is down but it is lost to youtube, twitch etc rather than each other.

They replaced about five full time, salaried writers - who primarily churned out reviews, with a bunch of freelancers reviewing for 300 bucks a pop. And guess what - the average Gamespot reader likely never noticed. If they are reading a review, it isn't the byline. Most will skip straight to the score.

None of the QLs since Hitman last week have held my interest for more than five minutes.

Quick Looks have become so informational/a basic run through of the mechanics compared to the past. I know some people prefer that but I just feel the personality of the site is slipping a bit right now outside of the podcasts.

The only real reason I thought it would make sense for Danny to leave GS was because it seems like none of his longer projects or big ideas seem to last or get attention. If that was able to be his main focus at a new site that would maybe drive the decision?

It was all dumb speculation though. Since we can't guess at a new GB hire for 2018 might as well think about who Austin will hire.

The different points of view regarding site success are interesting. The bulk of the GAF audience see Gamespot as going downhill fast, but they seem to have maintained most of their market share while slashing costs. Traffic at the big sites is down but it is lost to youtube, twitch etc rather than each other.

They replaced about five full time, salaried writers - who primarily churned out reviews, with a bunch of freelancers reviewing for 300 bucks a pop. And guess what - the average Gamespot reader likely never noticed. If they are reading a review, it isn't the byline. Most will skip straight to the score.
I feel like this is what is happening more these days.

Whoa I really like the soundtrack to Heart & Slash. Super upbeat, sort of a mix of Necrodancer and Sonic Adventure. Hopefully Jason plays some on the GOTY deliberations.

ArjanN

None of the QLs since Hitman last week have held my interest for more than five minutes.

Quick Looks have become so informational/a basic run through of the mechanics compared to the past. I know some people prefer that but I just feel the personality of the site is slipping a bit right now outside of the podcasts.

To be fair it's also pretty obviouly a couple of struggle weeks with multiple people taking vacations etc.

While you're not wrong, honestly it's hard to read that description and not think "going downhill fast" or "quickly becoming a much worse place to work for" regardless of how much traffic they're getting.

M3z_

Why are people speculating about Danny?

Also in regards to any future pickups for Vice if there are any I would be highly surprised if Austin hired any more established games press people like Klepek. I think Klepek was just a mix of Patrick being the most accomplished "news" journalist in the gaming press, and having a friendship with him. Austin is the kind of guy that likes to elevate diverse voices, and he has deep ties in the "underground/alternative" gaming press, and I would expect any potential future hires to come from that field rather than giving already established voices a new place to work.

Zaph

Also in regards to any future pickups for Vice if there are any I would be highly surprised if Austin hired any more established games press people like Klepek. I think Klepek was just a mix of Patrick being the most accomplished "news" journalist in the gaming press, and having a friendship with him. Austin is the kind of guy that likes to elevate diverse voices, and he has deep ties in the "underground/alternative" gaming press, and I would expect any potential future hires to come from that field rather than giving already established voices and new place to work.

Not gonna lie, when Patrick's move was announced I did have a little chuckle at Austin's first hire being an established, white editor already in full-time employment.

Looks like Giant Bomb rubbed off on him after all
bZW9fem.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom