• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Kinda Funny stepping shit up huh?

https://twitter.com/KindaFunnyVids/status/767777345046319104

Makes me wonder about GB's corporate set-up.

You know, this kind of stuff bums me out to compare to where GB is at. Considering how long they've been with CBSi I would have hoped that they would have stepped up their presentation game a bit. I know the slapdash/grunginess is partway intentional and they make do, but the modern studio being a grey box, the podcast studio being a grey box with a poker table, and the Beast studio being a broom closet, it raises a lot of questions in my mind in terms of the support they're getting.

Like, I know they aren't nimble as they used to be now that they're beholden to budgetary restrictions and corporate red tape, but stuff like seeing Jeff's visibly pissed reaction on the bombcast last week at them not being able to get modern video cards while Gamespot has two 1080s was fucking depressing. I wish my subscriber money was more directly helping them out.

Thats the power of patreon I suppose

Wonder how that would work tho for GB.

Jeff said in the past (actually when he was a guest on Kinda Funny) that if Giant Bomb didn't exist until now, they would've gone the Patreon route. They were early enough in the "personality based video game website" trend and lasted long enough to be acquired. Kinda Funny, though, has more than Patreon. They have a strategic partnership with Rooster Teeth (but are still 100% independent) and are smart with sponsorships and hosting gigs, which are other big sources of revenue. Giant Bomb doesn't seem all that interested in stuff like that. Even if they were, I think it would feel weird.

we all know that the subscriber money is lining fat cat Jeff Gerstmanns pockets

i4ztzvfcpguwwdvo6b.gif

chogidogs

I'm not sure anyone cares enough about it to even get that far so I'm not sure it'll apply. But for people that were really excited for it the game just seems like a slap in the face.

Yup. I maxed out the suit, multitool, and recently, my ship and I have no more motivation to play. I'll probably come back when they add new stuff but still...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff said in the past (actually when he was a guest on Kinda Funny) that if Giant Bomb didn't exist until now, they would've gone the Patreon route. They were early enough in the "personality based video game website" trend and lasted long enough to be acquired. Kinda Funny, though, has more than Patreon. They have a strategic partnership with Rooster Teeth (but are still 100% independent) and are smart with sponsorships and hosting gigs, which are other big sources of revenue. Giant Bomb doesn't seem all that interesting in stuff like that. Even if they were, I think it would feel weird.

Right. GB still attempts to act like a "news" site. They have editorial bents and do reviews and stuff. Jeff takes that editorial position stuff seriously. Kinda Funny are happy to walk over to the publisher side and host events and be completely biased when they need to. They are doing it smartly and not just "selling out" but they aren't staying 100% unbiased all the time.

hamchan

You know, this kind of stuff bums me out to compare to where GB is at. Considering how long they've been with CBSi I would have hoped that they would have stepped up their presentation game a bit. I know the slapdash/grunginess is partway intentional and they make do, but the modern studio being a grey box, the podcast studio being a grey box with a poker table, and the Beast studio being a broom closet, it raises a lot of questions in my mind in terms of the support they're getting.

Like, I know they aren't nimble as they used to be now that they're beholden to budgetary restrictions and corporate red tape, but stuff like seeing Jeff's visibly pissed reaction on the bombcast last week at them not being able to get modern video cards while Gamespot has two 1080s was fucking depressing. I wish my subscriber money was more directly helping them out.

It's ok I'm sure the fans will end up sending them dozens of 1080s in the mail.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I maxed out the suit, multitool, and recently, my ship and I have no more motivation to play. I'll probably come back when they add new stuff but still...
I'm actually a little concerned about adding new stuff to the game. It doesn't look that easy the way their generation works. Remember that the whole universe was different before the day-1-patch, too.

Will every single specimen and every named planet get wiped everytime they add stuff like space stations?

popo

Imagine if Jeff didn't have to get budgets approved by CBS

Go can't get video cards anymore let alone giant led screens

Been there, done that, ran out of money, sold the company.

Also, since Gamespot reviews video cards, I doubt they paid for either of those 1080s.

Jeff will have a budget for all these things. It was his choice to setup a satellite office and split the budget between the two.

GameSpot got a similar studio and managed to decorate it, unlikely to be a money or corporate issue.

chogidogs

I'm actually a little concerned about adding new stuff to the game. It doesn't look that easy the way their generation works. Remember that the whole universe was different before the day-1-patch, too.

Will every single specien and every named planet get wiped everytime they add stuff like space stations?

Hopefully I can execute my plan of camping planets near the core. And base build the shit out of those so visitors will be welcomed by a barrage of lazers and angry robots.

That's how it looks in my head, so of course I'll be disappointed again.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just create "Giant Bomb Hard Look", a segment to look at new hardware and you will never have too few graphics cards ever again. Maybe invite Bakalar sometimes to rate them.

I don't think anyone is wanting GB to become Kinda Funny or anything in terms of output or editorial voice but it just made me think what the guys could do in that environment.

I suppose being split between two cities immediately makes it a non-starter. Double the costs etc.

I know they joke about youtubers and stuff making stuff look easy but it *does* just seem like such a struggle for them to adapt or change anything in their presentation etc. Stuff takes so long to come to fruition sometimes, and I dunno, my suspicion is a lot of the roadblock there is the CBSi thing.

I don't think anyone is wanting GB to become Kinda Funny or anything in terms of output or editorial voice but it just made me think what the guys could do in that environment.

I suppose being split between two cities immediately makes it a non-starter. Double the costs etc.

I know they joke about youtubers and stuff making stuff look easy but it *does* just seem like such a struggle for them to adapt or change anything in their presentation etc. Stuff takes so long to come to fruition sometimes, and I dunno, my suspicion is a lot of the roadblock there is the CBSi thing.

Well, Kinda Funny hasn't shown off their "Let's Play" set-up. The Kinda Funny Studio is great looking, but the stuff they've shown off so far isn't stuff that Giant Bomb (in it's current state) would utilize if they had a similar set-up. I believe Kinda Funny will show off their "Let's Play" set-up later today when they do some Deus Ex content. Their previous set up was they typical green screen set-up you see on most YouTube streamer streams.

Well, Kinda Funny hasn't shown off their "Let's Play" set-up. The Kinda Funny Studio is great looking, but the stuff they've shown off so far isn't stuff that Giant Bomb (in it's current state) would utilize if they had a similar set-up. I believe Kinda Funny will show off their "Let's Play" set-up later today when they do some Deus Ex content. Their previous set up was they typical green screen set-up you see on most YouTube streamer streams.

They're doing it now, same set-up, it's just picture in picture

Can someone explain to me why GB still doesn't upload in 1080p yet spends thousands of dollars on equipment? It's probably to do with them wanting to archive everything, right, but it's pretty hard to justify when I spend money as a premium sub and Joe Youtuber over there is uploading 1080p60 like nbd, and GB is still putting out ghetto quality game footage.

Can someone explain to me why GB still doesn't upload in 1080p yet spends thousands of dollars on equipment? It's probably to do with them wanting to archive everything, right, but it's pretty hard to justify when I spend money as a premium sub and Joe Youtuber over there is uploading 1080p60 like nbd, and GB is still putting out ghetto quality game footage.

Joe Youtuber doesn't have hosting costs tbf.

Every time I've seen it come up, their answer is "we'd rather focus on better bit rate than higher resolution" or something to that effect. I don't think they view the storage cost as worthwhile.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's not about hosting. Equipment capable of 1080p video is still really expensive. They have a much more elaborate setup than your average Youtuber.

popo

They use high end professional equipment that only does 720. They would need to replace most of it to do 1080.

Youtubers generally use off the shelf consumer gear and don't pay for their own bandwidth.

That said, so called HD on YouTube often looks terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom