• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should all future fighting game quick looks be done under the watchful eye of Science? Or will that muddy the RoF board too much?
basically i just want more RoF

we all know that the subscriber money is lining fat cat Jeff Gerstmanns pockets

We fucking made you Gerstmann, you better fucking appreciate us.

this image should have had dan saying "check the tape!" instead

I was trying to stay more in tone with the game but this idea isn't a bad one as well.

Xm7ppkm.jpg

I finished doom. That is a very cool game.

Doom 2: Hell on Earth plz

For a second I thought you finished the original Doom, which is also a damn fine game.

A damn good stream.

I know they said they wouldn't do but they should really do it.
chjNzhYl.jpg

I just want this to happen to see Drew's reaction to the final boss and his cutscene.

This gbeast vid worth the watch or should I just finish mgscanlon 2 tonights?

I'm late probably but you should watch that GBEAST vid.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
everything i have seen of the last couple of Deus Ex games has seemed incredibly dull and I really don't understand the hype.
There's really only been one before this one. You had a lot of freedom on how to approach the game and it set up a great moody world. A quick video won't really do it justice, since you only see one way to play it. And too often it's the "gun everything down" one when GB plays it.

sounds like the most generic criticism. just needs a 'misses the mark'
No, the look of the new KoF is textbook "bland". It's ridiculous how much charme they lost going from XIII to XIV.

derFeef

I remember the first gameplay demos of the previous Deus Ex and people got angry how boring and bland it looks. All of them ate crow when it came out. Same with this one. This is a game that does not demo well, just like Dishonored and some other games similar to this.

demidar

No, the looks of the new KoF is textbook "bland". It's ridiculous how much charme they lost going from XIII to XIV.

I wish there was Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- Revelator levels of animation and polish on KoF14, but that would clearly crater SNK.

Xater

Should I buy Rimworld?

Yes, it's pretty cool.

It's also Dwarf Fortress for the rest of us. So if you always wanted to play that but were put off by how it looks and controls you should definitely get Rimworld.

And before Dwarf Fortress players scold me on how much deeper their games is, I know. I'm just never ever going to properly enjoy that the way the game works.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yes, it's pretty cool.

It's also Dwarf Fortress for the rest of us. So if you always wanted to play that but were put off by how it looks and controls you should definitely get Rimworld.

And before Dwarf Fortress players scold me on how much deeper their games is, I know. I'm just never ever going to properly enjoy that the way the game works.

Good to hear.
How...hmm..."stressfull" is the game? Like, is it okay to just mess around for a couple of minutes without running out of ressources 10 minutes later because of that? That's my biggest concern so far, cause RTS games easily stress me out for some reason.

Xater

Good to hear.
How...hmm..."stressfull" is the game? Like, is it okay to just mess around for a couple of minutes without running out of ressources 10 minutes later because of that? That's my biggest concern so far, cause RTS games easily stress me out for some reason.

If you pick a nice starting location you will be set for a while. Also you have some great difficulty options where you can set up things to your liking if you just want to dick around and learn the game.

Fantastapotamus

That sounds pretty good. I think I'll risk it. Worst case scenario I can still return it if I don't like it at all. Steam refunds are pretty great.

Edit: Catching up o Quicklooks. Vinny making Dan waste his turn in Worms by asking him to scroll to the left was just amazing. Finally somebody who exploits Dan's weakness

Patryn

Now I know I don't post in this thread a lot anymore, but you people seem like a good group to ask this.

I'm trying to give the Witcher series another honest try, and so I've returned to the Witcher 2 (I want to try to finish it before going to the Witcher 3).

I'm fairly early on (in Chapter 1, just visited Loredo's mansion) and I have these two questions:

- Does the plot pick up later on? I know the Witcher is heralded for its writing, but thus far it doesn't seem that amazing. It's grittier, and people swear a lot more and talk about sex, but I haven't really seen that much amazing stuff yet. But I know I'm still way early.

- Does the combat get more interesting? I'm playing on normal, so this may be just a result of that, but it all seems to just devolve into cast Quen, roll, swing, roll, cast Quen again. I avoid Daggers and Bombs because the targeting feels clumsy, so I'm handicapping myself a bit there I acknowledge. I think I'm just a little worried because it doesn't seem like there are more abilities that come down the line. What I have now is what there is, and I can see it getting old really fast...

I don't hate the game (which is more than I could say before). It's.... alright. I was just expecting more.

I want to be able to be there with the rest of you talking about the injustice of GB ignoring the games, but thus far... yeah.

At first I thought this game design video was going to be a piss take - and Alex Zandra van Chestein was Alex's fake artsy game designer name - but I'm so glad it's serious! This is cool as hell.

Fantastapotamus

I don't like Witcher 2 that much (and Witcher 1 and 3 are among my favourite games of all time). I don't think the plot is that great and while it does pick up later on it's the weakest of the three games. Compared to the other two games Witcher 2 feels much more focused on the politics of the world and less on the personal story of Geralt and his friends which is the best part of the Witcher's story. It's not baaaaad but I barely remember anything about it tbh.
Combat pretty much stays the same, if you want it to. It's one of those cases were it makes more fun to change how you fight, but the most effective way is the one you mentioned. I played pretty much all of MGS V with the starting tranq gun, cause I never felt the need to change it, so I know what you mean.

Again, I think Witcher 2 is a good game, but it's sooooo much weaker than the other 2 entries. If you don't absolutely hate it, I would say you should keep going but don't force yourself to finish it. If you want to play Witcher 3, the game really isn't that necessary story-wise tbh. You will meet some characters again in Witcher 3, but there isn't really anything major happening in the game you absolutely need to see for yourself. Maybe read some wiki entries about the major characters and move on if you don't feel it.

patapuf

Now I know I don't post in this thread a lot anymore, but you people seem like a good group to ask this.

I'm trying to give the Witcher series another honest try, and so I've returned to the Witcher 2 (I want to try to finish it before going to the Witcher 3).

I'm fairly early on (in Chapter 1, just visited Loredo's mansion) and I have these two questions:

- Does the plot pick up later on? I know the Witcher is heralded for its writing, but thus far it doesn't seem that amazing. It's grittier, and people swear a lot more and talk about sex, but I haven't really seen that much amazing stuff yet. But I know I'm still way early.

- Does the combat get more interesting? I'm playing on normal, so this may be just a result of that, but it all seems to just devolve into cast Quen, roll, swing, roll, cast Quen again. I avoid Daggers and Bombs because the targeting feels clumsy, so I'm handicapping myself a bit there I acknowledge. I think I'm just a little worried because it doesn't seem like there are more abilities that come down the line. What I have now is what there is, and I can see it getting old really fast...

I don't hate the game (which is more than I could say before). It's.... alright. I was just expecting more.

I want to be able to be there with the rest of you talking about the injustice of GB ignoring the games, but thus far... yeah.

1). Yes, the plot does pick up. The Witcher 2 is set up like a political drama, they have to establish the factions and the stakes first. The payoff in the end is definetly worth it. At the end of the flotsam chapter you'll get a choice who will give you and entirely different middle chapter (different location etc.) and which will give you different perspectives on the conflict.

The Witcher 3 is a more traditional "epic" adventure compared to the more grounded political conflicts and intrigues of the witcher 2.

2) Combat: if you rely on quen and swordfighting only, the combat will never get more interesting. You get a few swordfighting moves but that's it.

Use bombs and signs and the apropriate trees for more interesting combat. Imo, you get more out of the combat if you learn how these things work.

The sword works, especially on normal, but it's not always the most efficient way to kill enemies and as you noted: it's also boring.

Giant Beast Academy starts out with anime reference. It's taking over.

What has Alex Zandra done work on? She pitched what she's currently doing but I couldn't hear what she's done.

popo

Man, whoever was complaining about the voice acting in Deus Ex a while back, you were not wrong. Jeff hates gravelly Geralt but Adam Jensen gets a pass?

Sleepy Dawgz 2 is too much to tease me with

Woofia 3?

Giant Beast Academy starts out with anime reference. It's taking over.

What has Alex Zandra done work on? She pitched what she's currently doing but I couldn't hear what she's done.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-chariot-the-royal-gadget-pack-dlc/2300-10703/

I always would have been a lot happier with the voice acting in Deus Ex if they just made his voice normal at the beginning of Human Revolution and then blamed the gravelliness on augments.

It always weirds me out to see the VAs doing lines (like Martinet speaking as Mario) so Elias' speaking is like, 2x as crazy because that's just his regular voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom