• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Even though Prague is a big city with lots of sections, I really, really liked how diverse the locations were in HR. Completely different architecture and designs for each city around the world, and even the design of the non-open world sections really made things feel alive.
The cities weren't alive in HR, they looked like a closed-off box with everything standing still in its place, even cars weren't moving. I actually found it pretty off-putting, I thought you were supposed to be inside some sort of dome at first, but nope, that's the city square.

Xater

This is probably the worst decision you could ever make when it comes to watching anime. It would be better if you just didn't watch anime.

Attack on Titan is the only Anime I genuinely enjoyed in years. Most stuff is just horrid garbage these days. I heard about Berserk getting a new adaptation, but that apparently also turned into a dumpster fire.

Those quotes from the Titanfall 2 director...

200.gif

Attack on Titan is the only Anime I genuinely enjoyed in years. Most stuff is just horrid garbage these days. I heard about Berserk getting a new adaptation, but that apparently also turned into a dumpster fire.

Oh boy did it.

If you like AoT try Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. It's done now so it doesn't have the same problem that AoT does of dragging on, animated by the same company, and while it's kinda crap too it's not as bad.

Jeff will probably really like T2. Which is unfortunate.

Xater

They weren't really on the ball with the Titanfall 2 talk during the podcast. It seems like Bounty Hunt is replacing Attrition. Also I recently played some Titanfall 1 and Attrition is by far the most popular game mode followed by the campaign. The Pilot vs. Pilot mode is way lower on the totem pole, like 300 players compared to 1-2 thousand.

Oh boy did it.

If you like AoT try Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. It's done now so it doesn't have the same problem that AoT does of dragging on, animated by the same company, and while it's kinda crap too it's not as bad.

I am at this point probably just going to read AoT instead. I heard about Kabaneri and it's on Amazon Instant here. I already thought about checking that out.

Are Attack on Titan haters on the same boat as Death Note haters? Because I always see them hating on both possibly for being everywhere and too popular. I enjoyed both to be honest. Great OSTs too(DN's my favorite).

Xater

Are Attack on Titan haters on the same boat as Death Note haters? Because I always see them hating on both possibly for being everywhere and too popular. I enjoyed both to be honest. Great OSTs too(DN's my favorite).

Yeah Death Note was alright. There are some legitimate complaints you can have about the AoT anime I think. The production isn't amazing. The animation is really lacking in spots. They also rely to often on freeze frames. Otherwise, especially if you read it I think it's pretty great.

Mm... AoT gets hate because it never really answers anything and it's taken this weird direction with the plot which seems to be ignoring the whole Titan thing that everyone was concerned about at the start. Lots of internal conflict and backstabbing that's seemingly out of no where once you get passed the female Titan arc, and there's not enough resolution to the story. Just more and more things being stacked up. It's a shame because AoT started quite strong, in my opinion.

I wasn't really aware of the anime scene when Death Note was in its prime but if I had to guess, it's probably on the same lines? They both belong to the popular anime sections. I think because it's so popular, it has more eyes looking at it for faults, and the authors/production companies try to do more broad appeals that end up harming the anime. I like DN much more than AoT though.

Thinking about watching Parasite recently which reminds me of The Thing but I don't want to till it ends because I hate waiting for shit(hello AOT). Aside from that I enjoyed a ton of films, definitely watched way more anime films than series.

I can't speak to the anime but if it follows the manga closely at all, Parasyte is just great through and through.

Ah I see. I don't read manga so maybe that's why? All I know at the moment concerning AOT
is that there are titans in the wall
. Which is pretty fucked up and exciting.

and now be ready for them to never talk about that again

Yeah Death Note was alright. There are some legitimate complaints you can have about the AoT anime I think. The production isn't amazing. The animation is really lacking in spots. They also rely to often on freeze frames. Otherwise, especially if you read it I think it's pretty great.

Yeah. I usually prefer the shorter anime series to be honest. Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Lupin The Third: Woman Called Fujiko Mine, FMA: Brotherhood, Monster, Great Teacher Onizuka.etc

Thinking about watching Parasite recently which reminds me of The Thing but I don't want to till it ends because I hate waiting for shit(hello AOT). Aside from that I enjoyed a ton of films, definitely watched way more anime films than series.

Mm... AoT gets hate because it never really answers anything and it's taken this weird direction with the plot which seems to be ignoring the whole Titan thing that everyone was concerned about at the start. Lots of internal conflict and backstabbing that's seemingly out of no where once you get passed the female Titan arc, and there's not enough resolution to the story. Just more and more things being stacked up. It's a shame because AoT started quite strong, in my opinion.

I wasn't really aware of the anime scene when Death Note was in its prime but if I had to guess, it's probably on the same lines? They both belong to the popular anime sections. I think because it's so popular, it has more eyes looking at it for faults, and the authors/production companies try to do more broad appeals that end up harming the anime. I like DN much more than AoT though.

Ah I see. I don't read manga so maybe that's why? All I know at the moment concerning AOT
is that there are titans in the wall
. Which is pretty fucked up and exciting.

Death Note is good until it isn't. Its main problem was being far longer than the premise could reasonably sustain. I'm not really an anime guy though, I think Death Note is the last series I watched fully? That was like a decade ago.

Xater

Yeah. I usually prefer the shorter anime series to be honest. Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Lupin The Third: Woman Called Fujiko Mine, FMA: Brotherhood, Monster, Great Teacher Onizuka.etc

I saw the Parasite movies. (The ones with real actors) I enjoyed those. They of course condense the story quite a bit, but I didn't mind.

I saw the Parasite movies. (The ones with real actors) I enjoyed those. They of course condense the story quite a bit, but I didn't mind.

Interesting. Well, the show does look super interesting but I will probably dive in when it finishes, hopefully it's one of the shorter ones because any anime that exceeds 100 episodes is a complete no for me.

Death Note is good until it isn't. Its main problem was being far longer than the premise could reasonably sustain. I'm not really an anime guy though, I think Death Note is the last series I watched fully? That was like a decade ago.

I enjoyed it overall but you're not alone in thinking that the series falls flat when a major change happen and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I was fine with that though.

Yeah, this is pretty much my feeling towards it, too. The whole "battle of wits" thing can only sustain a storyline for so long and their attempted solution to that (the thing everyone hates about that series) ended up doing more harm than good.

Single Use Consumable DLC is probably one of the grossest things I've ever read about.

It feels like to attract non-anime fans you need two things: attractive premise and at least some aspect of impressive presentation. The two big blockbusters which seemed to get its hooks into the 'don't normally watch anime' people in my life were Attack on Titan and OnePunch Man. OPM has far better consistent execution than AoT, but I think AoT - being less jokey overall - has more character fans.

Just about anything has better characterization than OPM. I love the shit out of that anime but Saitama is the only person who gets any real information about their background (other than Fang maybe) and everyone else seems to have about five seconds of screen time to showcase their power before they're shuffled off into the fold. Genos is literally just Chiaotzu in a slightly cooler body.

Jintor

It feels like to attract non-anime fans you need two things: attractive premise and at least some aspect of impressive presentation. The two big blockbusters which seemed to get its hooks into the 'don't normally watch anime' people in my life were Attack on Titan and OnePunch Man. OPM has far better consistent execution than AoT, but I think AoT - being less jokey overall - has more character fans.

Anything you can elevator pitch in a sentence and that doesn't neccessarily trigger the "ANIME!" internal alarm many people have in their heads (avoid these words: little sister, tournament, -giant robot (maybe)-, idols, or high school) has a better shot, too, i think

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Watching this Madden QL, Alex said Brady didn't deflate the balls? Is that true? I barely pay attention to NFL so I haven't followed the whole ongoing thing but I remember people being really sure he was involved at the time.

Watching this Madden QL, Alex said Brady didn't deflate the balls? Is that true? I barely pay attention to NFL so I haven't followed the whole ongoing thing but I remember people being really sure he was involved at the time.

From what I know the evidence was murky at best and, at worst, he might have known some team assistants were deflating the balls and turned a blind eye rather than overseeing the entire thing.

justjim89

Death Note, just like Dexter, was good until about halfway through its run. Should've stopped there.

Attack on Titan is a fun show, but it gets so convoluted answering questions no one really asked.

Lately, I've been watching Hunter Hunter with friends. Absolutely loved it in the beginning through the exam part, but now it seems like every episode the show has to go 10 miles up its own ass to explain some new facet to the Nen, Ten, Zen, Ren magic bullshit that I don't care about.

Xater

Anything you can elevator pitch in a sentence and that doesn't neccessarily trigger the "ANIME!" internal alarm many people have in their heads (avoid these words: little sister, tournament, -giant robot (maybe)-, idols, or high school) has a better shot, too, i think

I can't tell you how tired I am of these tropes. Anime in general just being about teenagers annoys the hell out of me as well. Japan's love for that time of live is baffling.

Lunar FC

Never seen an overlay ad on the pitch during a soccer game.

Also don't know what crazy overlay graphics Vinny is talking about

I wont be able to make it through this.

Xater

Never seen an overlay ad on the pitch during a soccer game.

Also don't know what crazy overlay graphics Vinny is talking about

I wont be able to make it through this.

Yeah they are all past the sidelines. No idea what Dan is talking about. I don't recall ever seeing ads on the pitch.

after a certain point, SAO just turns into "come save this girl before I rape her!" (they do this like 3 times) and "my not-sister wants to bone me"

even setting aside how "problematic" that may be, because I can't be bothered to even care, it's incredibly lazy and shitty writing. defending that is defending some of the worst writing I've seen in any medium.

Scizzy

It's not even clear that the balls were deflated below the regulation pressure at all.

Jintor

Whatever lol. If you want to talk about something else talk about it. We've had the anime is a topic of discussion???? talk like twenty times now

Gurrry

Man Im hoping they do a quick look of the new game from the Myst creators called Obduction. Although I think Jeff has said in the past that he hated Myst... it still looks really cool and far more interactive than old Myst was.

Anyone else playing it?

Giant Bomb #24 - Nobody's Good

Sorry, our next OT has to be Dont Go Jason Waterfalls. If its not, we have failed.

Curufinwe

Those anime recommendations for Jeff on the Bombcast are terrible. He's not going to like any of that stuff.

Try something quick and funny, like Cromartie High School.

What is the game Drew talked about doing a quick look of with him and Brad in this bombcast? It was when they were discussing bound, said it was an ios game involving dancing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom