• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Watching more of the Mighty No 9 quick look Brad and Dan failing to think of more than like 4 kickstarter games is honestly pretty embarassing.

Darkest Dungeon, FTL, Banner Saga, Shadowrun, Volgarr, Risk of Rain, just to name some games Giant Bomb, you know, played a whole bunch of.

Did they forget SUPERHOT was a Kickstarter too? I haven't watched it yet.

BearPawB

Banned
Watching more of the Mighty No 9 quick look Brad and Dan failing to think of more than like 4 kickstarter games is honestly pretty embarassing.

Darkest Dungeon, FTL, Banner Saga, Shadowrun, Volgarr, Risk of Rain, just to name some games Giant Bomb, you know, played a whole bunch of.

i didn't know banner saga, shadownrun , volgarr or risk of rain were kickstarters.
And i played all of those games.

I can see that, under the gun. I sometimes have trouble coming up with things on the spot that if you ask me 10 minutes later, I can just rattle them off. Also, speaking for myself, I tend to forget that a lot of games come from kickstarter when they're succesful. You mostly remember the failures or the ones you backed yourself, aside from a few high-profile ones.

Bacon

I don't really see why that's embarrassing

Myggen

That's EMBARASSING!!

I can see that, under the gun. I sometimes have trouble coming up with things on the spot that if you ask me 10 minutes later, I can just rattle them off. Also, speaking for myself, I tend to forget that a lot of games come from kickstarter when they're succesful. You mostly remember the failures or the ones you backed yourself, aside from a few high-profile ones.

Yeah, a Kickstarter producing a competent game will rarely make news -- you hear waaaaay more talk about the failures. When you combine that with the often lengthy development times of Kickstarter games, it's easy to forget they originated there even if you heard the initial Kickstarter announcement.

It's pretty easy to forget what games have been Kickstarted. oh wait nevermind this page is already full of people calling you out on your bogus shit

daveo42

Banned
How did they not know Kentucky Route Zero was a kickstarter? Pathetic.

The only people who even remember KR0 are crazy because of the time difference between releases. And yes, I'm crazy and anticipating the eventaul release of ep 4. Any day...any day...

Lunar FC

The only people who even remember KR0 are crazy because of the time difference between releases. And yes, I'm crazy and anticipating the eventaul release of ep 4. Any day...any day...

I feel you bruh. I only learned it was a kickstarter like a year ago. Crazy to see how different the final product was to what they pitched.

You guys look a little embarrassing with your dog piling.

This is what gb-gaf is best at. Tough love. :)

ArjanN

I don't really see why that's embarrassing

Well, they work at a site that's literally a video game database for one.

I mean, I get that sometimes it's hard to name a bunch of stuff off the top of your head, but I find it annoying to see some people (not them specifically) ready to write off Kickstarter as a whole just because of a couple of dissapointing projects while totally glossing over the tons of great stuff that came out of kickstarter in the last couple of years.

The best artstyle.

i didn't know banner saga, shadownrun , volgarr or risk of rain were kickstarters.
And i played all of those games.

image.php

Myggen

Jeff on Dan being in a game.

He asked about it awhile ago. I thought long and hard about it, since it’s a pretty weird thing that I was initially very against. But times have changed and, overall, the audience has been way more accepting of this sort of thing. So I started thinking about why it is that I had such a knee-jerk reaction to it and couldn’t come up with any great reasons to prevent him from doing it without also clamping down on everyone else’s external stuff in the process. I’m not interested in being one of these bosses that says stuff like “DON’T EVER STREAM VIDEO GAMES UNLESS YOU’RE STREAMING THEM ON OUR OFFICIAL CHANNELS” or “DON’T DO ANY GUEST APPEARANCES ON OTHER PODCASTS WITHOUT CLEARING THEM ALL THROUGH ME” or anything heavy-handed like that. Times have changed, those are sort of ridiculous stances to take.

So while it’s not something that I’d probably do, I didn’t necessarily want to stand in Dan’s way if it’s something he really wanted to go out and do… provided that they aren’t trading on Giant Bomb’s good name in the process (which, given the way the developers announced this thing, is something I should have been more explicit about beforehand. Lesson learned, I guess). In that sense, it’s not unlike anyone else’s external ventures, like me with my old band stuff, Danny O’Dwyer’s YouTube channel, all that PAX wrestling stuff some of us have gotten into, or Dan’s books.

Obviously, since this is game, it’s a bit different than that. We won’t be covering the game. We… probably wouldn’t have covered it anyway since it appears to be a re-release, but this more or less cements it. Maybe that puts us in a weird spot, but I figured I’d at least let him give it a shot and see how it goes. I’d rather wiggle around, try a few things out, and get some stuff wrong than just stay on the same unyielding track because “that’s how we’ve always done things around here.” Personally I’d put it somewhere between “the time I rapped on-stage at the press conference where Konami announced Def Jam Rapstar” and “the time I signed a release form and got captured for potential use as a crowd member in one of THQ’s WWE games” on the “is this OK or nah” scale. We’ll see!

Myggen

Honestly I don't even really see the problem with covering the game as long as you're upfront about your involvement.

Jeff is probably a lot more strict about that kind of thing than most people would be. But I agree, especially since this is just an editor doing something in his free time and not GB as such contributing to a game, I wouldn`t have any issue with them covering it as long as they`re upfront about it (and maybe someone else than Dan covers it!). But as Jeff says, they probably wouldn`t have covered this version of the game either way.

edit This reminds me of this Game Informer video of GI editors trying to kill Dan`s character in LA Noir.

Megasoum

Banned
Jeff is probably a lot more strict about that kind of thing than most people would be. But I agree, especially since this is just an editor doing something in his free time and not GB as such contributing to a game, I wouldn`t have any issue with them covering it as long as they`re upfront about it (and maybe someone else than Dan covers it!). But as Jeff says, they probably wouldn`t have covered this version of the game either way.

Depends on what kind of coverage too.

A quicklook with a disclaimer up front would probably be fine but an actual review would be a bit weird.

Rainmaker

Banned
As a long time fan I totally trust them if they were to cover it but from the outside looking in that sort of thing will always look bad to me. I think it's a bit disturbing how lenient everyone is on this sort of thing nowadays. It just seems like the right move to not cover it. I've always respected the way GB handles this sort of stuff, especially Jeff.

Mr. F

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom