• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Are all Americans obsessed with tipping or is it just GAF? Reminds me of the Brit obsession with class.

It's a normal thing in America and it's especially important if you work in the food service industry or you know someone who does. My dad was a waiter all my life so I'm pretty passionate about it when I'm debating with Gaffers about it. Non-Americans just don't understand that that's how they earn a living here as a waiter. So when I read/hear people not giving a few bucks for good service, it triggers me. I'm glad my dad is retired now. My dad and my relatives are very good tippers as a result. I've learned to be a good tipper too.

People give money to people they like on the internet. Same shit.

hamchan

I don't need to tip in Australia because we actually have decent wages and good living standards here, with all of it integrated into our prices (which are admittedly high).

Though if I go to America I'll tip, because I think people get really upset with you if you don't.

Xater

I don't need to tip in Australia because we actually have decent wages and good living standards here, with all of it integrated into our prices (which are admittedly high).

Though if I go to America I'll tip, because I think people get really upset with you if you don't.

Same here. I only tip if my service was really good.

Man, I have one really horrible experience at a place because of a misconception. It was this old Italian woman in spring break territory in FL(I say this only because she was probably used to some dumb kids not tipping and tired of it). Me and a few friends were going out to eat for lunch and a buddy had cash to pay for the bill but only had like 30 cents extra to tip, so everyone else on their bills tipped more to compensate. The chick looked at his bill saw the small tip and flipped her shit. Didn't even care for the explanation of the rest of us tipping more to compensate.

Meneses

Here in Portugal it's considered good form to leave a (normally small) tip at a restaurant or café, delivery people, maybe sometimes to taxi drivers.

But it's not a requirement.

It definitely baffles me how America still employs that system that allows companies to shift the onus of payment towards customers and get away with shitty wages. The customer shouldn't be the one "paying" the worker. The employer should.

Here in Portugal it's considered good form to leave a (normally small) tip at a restaurant or café, delivery people, maybe sometimes to taxi drivers.

It definitely baffles me how America still employs that system that allows companies to shift the onus of payment towards customers and get away with shitty wages. The customer shouldn't be the one "paying" the worker. The employer should.

Many servers wouldn't even want it changed though. My wife was a waiter through college and then started teaching and she was pretty depressed when she realized she was making more as a waiter than she did when she started teaching.

I'll tip about 10-15% in a restaurant for good service but that's about it. I'm so glad I live in a country where it really is just a nice gesture and not expected. If I ever go to America I would tip but it would simply be to avoid hassle, not because I wanted to.

LiK

yea, it boggles my mind that they still use such a shitty system. only a handful of restaurants have adopted the same method of hourly wages like some other countries. the silverlining is if you happen to work in a good restaurant with a lot of good customers, it's actually a good living. but that's the norm for any job where you get good tippers.

Guys, has the crew played both Jackbox games at points? trying to decide which to pick up for a weekend away with friends and I know they've played 1, but can't remember if they've played 2.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
San Francisco will look even worse when he returns. It can't be too long until he cannot take it anymore

killroy87

San Francisco will look even worse when he returns. It can't be too long until he cannot take it anymore

I'm very, very confident he won't stay in SF for much longer. This whole trip is too random and weird, it's clearly a test for a permanent move. He's too happy in NY.

Heart of Stone is the first one so it's level is probably lower. It's also quicker, and the end of Blood and Wine feels like a real ending so definitely play it last.

definitely start with hearts of stone, otherwise it will be disappointing after B&W.

Hearts of Stone has some excellent writing and character stuff, but it's nowhere near the level of Blood and Wine.

Cool cool, it's decided then. I'm really looking forward to getting back into Witcher 3 but knowing I'm not committed for 100 hours.

bjork

I'm very, very confident he won't stay in SF for much longer. This whole trip is too random and weird, it's clearly a test for a permanent move. He's too happy in NY.

I'm available to take his place. I like C64 games so me and Jeff could be homies, I'll back Brad on no wrassle talk, and I like to live vicariously through Drew's out-of-doors exploits.

People who write "get a real job" on the tip line of the receipt have a special place in hell, I hope.

yea, it boggles my mind that they still use such a shitty system. only a handful of restaurants have adopted the same method of hourly wages like some other countries. the silverlining is if you happen to work in a good restaurant with a lot of good customers, it's actually a good living. but that's the norm for any job where you get good tippers.

I mean, it's just like any other fucked up system in the US: the group that doesn't want the change has a shitload of money and pull in the government system and the other side doesn't, so shitty wages live on.

Curufinwe

I'm tipping when I go to America next month cos living on less than (an already shitty) minimum wage would suck.

Is 15% the standard?

20% is more of the standard these days.

When I got to America in 2003 tipping felt a bit weird, but I can only think of one case in 13 years where I got bad service and I'm happy to tip 20%+ at restaurants. I've never waited tables but it seems like a tough job even when the customers aren't being jerks.

kiguel182

I'm Portuguese and I've never seen anyone tip except maybe at a restaurant. We have minimum wages for a reason.

If someone tips is more out of courtesy than a requirement for sure. And it's something more like "keep the change" instead of 20 something per cent of the price you already payed.

Tagyhag

Whoa, just saw that someone modded Destruction Derby tracks into Wreckfest.

5694206A0396A7C21A6CBA98B5B56DF42E70541D

Oh God, I remember this unholy place.

Would love to see more of Wreckfest played in UPF or someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom