• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, what a shitty thing to wake up to. Also, Dan not being aware of probably the biggest thing in global politics is kind of expected by me at this point.

Meguro

Banned
Last Beastcast with Austin, Brexit actually happening...
Tis' not a good day for me.
Hopefully there'll be a stream later on today to somewhat cheer me up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Are the news in the US such shit that so many people don't even know what Brexit means? It's not like the UK is probably their closest ally or anything

faridmon

This whole thing is unnerving to me. Not only did my Boss lost a huge chunk of his Pension trust fund because of the Pound Collapse, but it seems that awful human beings are celebrating for the fact that they just destroyed livelihood oo many people who work in the industrial, trading and leisure sectors.

At least he admits about not knowing anything about rather than outright mocking us for being upset. I'll give him a leeway for that.

EDIT: Just saw his tweet about joking about Brexit. Too soon and hurtful, Dan. Totally not cool :(

Mr. F

Banned
Dan's shtick is wearing me pretty thin lately. You have a close Irish colleague in your phone, get the low down before publicly going the willful ignorance route. June sucks.

fstop

Neo Member
Are the news in the US such shit that so many people don't even know what Brexit means? It's not like the UK is probably their closest ally or anything

I know this is a shit result, and I don't want to pile on, but there really isn't a reason for the US to...care. We "worry" about China, Russia, and N. Korea. The scariest thing about Brexit is that you lot just voted for Trump.

I mean Dan's the guy that said life is a lot easier if you don't care about politics. Probably not worth paying any attention to him when he's blatantly trolling.

faridmon

I know this is a shit result, and I don't want to pile on, but there really isn't a reason for the US to...care. We "worry" about China, Russia, and N. Korea. The scariest thing about Brexit is that you lot just voted for Trump.

You do know that the state of Britain and EU in general have a bigger effect economically and socially than those other countries, right?

China, Russia and N. Korea are all red hearings/conspiracy theories, while the stock market around the world is tanking (unless you are buying Yen)

Jintor

china/russia/n.k all show up as direct military threats and are easy to quantify in that sense. markets and finances are a goddamn mystery and are easier to... not ignore, but... I don't know. dismiss? wait for other people to tell you what's up?

Dan's shtick is wearing me pretty thin lately. You have a close Irish colleague in your phone, get the low down before publicly going the willful ignorance route. June sucks.
It's more that he's done the "everyone is talking about ____ and I don't know shit about it lol" bit multiple times already. it's a tired goof.

faridmon

china/russia/n.k all show up as direct military threats and are easy to quantify in that sense. markets and finances are a goddamn mystery and are easier to... not ignore, but... I don't know. dismiss? wait for other people to tell you what's up?

Fair enough.

But I feel the whole Political stance with those countries haven't even made a slight impact, and all we hear is just rumors and meek reports.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Please...US news cover Chinese and Russian politics now? That would be new.

There's also a lot more to it...nationalism in Europe on the rise, trade, NATO. All part of it. No one can tell me this isn't worth covering.

And I'm not from the UK btw.

justjim89

I don't understand why y'all are getting salty at Dan. He's not making fun of it, he's not saying it doesn't matter, he's saying he doesn't understand what it is. He posts as much to Twitter, which is a platform you choose to follow him on, and he catches shit for it. Hell, I didn't know anything about it until I watched the John Oliver segment on it last night, and I still don't entirely understand why specifically it's such a significant thing. The conservative party in England wants to make harsher immigration restrictions so they're leaving the EU? And this consequently is making the pound plummet in value, which fucks up the global economy? The only reason I even know the EU is a thing is from French class in high school and, like Dan, the extent of my knowledge of what they did is introduce the Euro and make travelling and trading between countries easier. The average American probably doesn't even know that much, because we don't really have a lot of reasons to.

I don't wanna listen to Austin's last Beastcast. I feel like if I ignore it, he'll stay at GB.

BearPawB

Banned
Guess what. Most Americans have no idea really what Brexit is, or why it may matter.

Most barely understand our own govevernment

I don't understand why y'all are getting salty at Dan. He's not making fun of it, he's not saying it doesn't matter, he's saying he doesn't understand what it is. He posts as much to Twitter, which is a platform you choose to follow him on, and he catches shit for it. Hell, I didn't know anything about it until I watched the John Oliver segment on it last night, and I still don't entirely understand why specifically it's such a significant thing. The conservative party in England wants to make harsher immigration restrictions so they're leaving the EU? And this consequently is making the pound plummet in value, which fucks up the global economy? The only reason I even know the EU is a thing is from French class in high school and, like Dan, the extent of my knowledge of what they did is introduce the Euro and make travelling and trading between countries easier. The average American probably doesn't even know that much, because we don't really have a lot of reasons to.

I don't wanna listen to Austin's last Beastcast. I feel like if I ignore it, he'll stay at GB.

Dan has trolled people multiple times on Twitter in a very similar way.

His first tweet was basically "lol why is you people mad becoz of a funny word" and then he went back to the well when he got bad reaction/people explaining why the situation is fucked up.

It was also about half an hour after it all happened and people were still processing.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme but let's not pretend it wasn't childish and completely lame.

justjim89

Guess what. Most Americans have no idea really what Brexit is, or why it may matter.

Most barely understand our own govevernment

Exactly. Most Americans couldn't tell you the difference between Congress and Senate, you expect them to know shit about Europe?

My news organization is whatever news related stuff creeps through all the smut subreddits I'm subscribed to on reddit. That's how I first heard about this UK stuff.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't really wanted another Trials since Evolution, and Blood Dragon keeps that streak going as well as making me suddenly not want a new Blood Dragon.

Megasoum

Banned
Watching an old random mailbag (the one where Brad photobombs Jeff).

Brad is watching the Apple keynote in the background and freaking out over the fact that Pandora is now ""multi-task aware". Man... I forgot how you used to not be able to listen to music while doing other thing on a phone...

Tubobutts

There's no Austin farewell stream on the schedule so I'm going to assume that means he's staying and nobody can convince me otherwise.

When will we see the beastxit?

It'll be two years once they enact the "leave" law, minimum. But there are leaders calling to hold off that enactment. IIRC.

The only reason I know anything about this shit is because I watch/listen to BBC and Al Jazeera for my news, I haven't heard of any other coverage which is kind of a terrifying prospect. It's going to be a wild and wacky week for the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom