• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Jesus Trials looks like complete trash. If anything I'm kind of hoping this counts for a few nails in the coffin of the lol 80s/90s trend. So boring.

edit; and this tape glitch effect every 3 seconds is insane.

The weirdest part was going stupid overboard on the 80s stuff but then using an odd Gorillaz x Venture Brothers art style for the characters.

Nishastra

Banned
wait, what? I didn't listen to the beastcast, is this an actual concern?
No. I don't know where this idea came from. Austin wasn't "looking elsewhere". This isn't him going to Kotaku to be another writer or something, he's heading up a new site.

It's a real opportunity that would be tough to pass up.

wait, what? I didn't listen to the beastcast, is this an actual concern?

kind of ridiculous how accurate that is

No, but I've been around enough co-workers who sounded just like Alex sounded during the goodbyes who would follow a colleague out not too much longer after.

FStop7

Banned
Man, Kojima is really going all in on Iceland for Death Stranding. The environment looks like Iceland, the music in the trailer is from Iceland, he came location scouting and took pictures here and keeps talking about one icelandic writer on twitter.

I hope the game is set here.

I feel like he watched the first 5 minutes of Prometheus and started screaming "YES THIS IS IT!"

Can someone explain to me why this whole "let us choose what gender link is" thing is suddenly so prevalent? I can't recall seeing anything like it before, and all of a sudden it's in every single Zelda thread.

No, but I've been around enough co-workers who sounded just like Alex sounded during the goodbyes who would follow a colleague out not too much longer after.

I think you're projecting a bit.

FStop7

Banned
I just witnessed a TV ad featuring a cowboy flying around in a helicopter herding cattle set to a dramatic M83 song. The cowboy then lands the helicopter and removes her bandana to reveal she's Cate Blanchett. Then the music swells and she starts vaping!

THIS IS A REAL THING THAT HAPPENED.

Can someone explain to me why this whole "let us choose what gender link is" thing is suddenly so prevalent? I can't recall seeing anything like it before, and all of a sudden it's in every single Zelda thread.

Seems like a combination of the hype from the early rumors, Aonuma's unfortunate response, and your run-of-the-mill Internet video game hostility. But yeah, an awful lot of talk about something that was never officially announced.

Zaph

Seems like a combination of the hype from the early rumors, Aonuma's unfortunate response, and your run-of-the-mill Internet video game hostility. But yeah, an awful lot of talk about something that was never officially announced.

Especially considering Zelda is made by a quiet, conservative Japanese company who hasn't really ever given a fuck about Western opinions before.

As well intentioned as it is, I think the disappointment is down to some people not realising they're in a bubble inside a very large gaming industry.

Volotaire

I think you're projecting a bit.

latest

Never forget female mascot (BS Zelda Ancient Stone of Tablets and BS Legend of Zelda)

I want to say most of the rumors stemmed from early artwork showing Link with strong feminine features.

TraBuch

Banned
Episode 5 of the DP ER and Brad just did the most Brad thing ever. Sitting there aiming at a zombie that's aiming a glowing shotgun at his face and he just watches.

I just witnessed a TV ad featuring a cowboy flying around in a helicopter herding cattle set to a dramatic M83 song. The cowboy then lands the helicopter and removes her bandana to reveal she's Cate Blanchett. Then the music swells and she starts vaping!

THIS IS A REAL THING THAT HAPPENED.

PcJTgI2.gif

Megasoum

Banned
Wow I'm legit impressed by Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

Yeah sure it's clearly a Black Flag spinoff but I actually like the fact that it's a bit of a slim down experience compared to 4. They removed some of the extra layers of clutter that AC4 had (like managing your gang and sending them on mission constantly for example).

The maps (it's split in 2 maps instead of one big one) are probably smaller overall than the previous Caribbean map but they don't hesitate to send you to "one of" places around the world for specific missions.

The story is nothing incredible but I mean... It's an AC story so the bar is low and I like what they are doing with it so far.

Anyway, it's really nothing revolutionary but I enjoy it more than Syndicate....Syndicate is a good game for sure and some mechanical stuff they introduced with the next gen games are missed in Rogue (the parkour going down for example) but I really couldn't care less for the London setting or the two protags. Also I missed the boat.

Teddified

Wow I'm legit impressed by Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

Yeah sure it's clearly a Black Flag spinoff but I actually like the fact that it's a bit of a slim down experience compared to 4. They removed some of the extra layers of clutter that AC4 had (like managing your gang and sending them on mission constantly for example.

I swear Rogue has a Cormac Fleet that's close to the thing from black flag. You might just not have unlocked it yet.

After years of it being UPF filler I think I might finally buy Quake 1 on Steam.

I guess you gotta use a source port to get anything decent out of it though?

With Austin gone, there's no longer anyone there to suppress Vinny's ruthless capitalist tendencies. :/
Somebody has to stop him!
Ah, thanks!
The question is more "Why are you listening to the premium version of the podcast?"
The ads stopped being funny or entertaining to me a long time ago. Are they good again? Because that one was not.

hamchan

I'd say it started with the first hints of Linkle in Hyrule Warriors. Once you put the idea out there it ain't going away.

That she turns out to not actually be the Hero of Time in that game made people question, "Why not?".

Maybe Jeff's crazy theory on Overwatch rubberbanding isn't so chemtrails-y. Had around where, we were 0% to 99% in overtime, to where a guy on their team kept gloating in chat. But we somehow came back and beat them. That guy ended up leaving before the next round.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maybe Jeff's crazy theory on Overwatch rubberbanding isn't so chemtrails-y. Had around where, we were 0% to 99% in overtime, to where a guy on their team kept gloating in chat. But we somehow came back and beat them. That guy ended up leaving before the next round.

This happens way too often to be a coincidence. I also doubt they were trying to "hide" that, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Nothing is being fudged, that's just how contesting and overtime work in Overwatch. Everything is right there in the UI, no rubber banding behind the scenes.

I think it's more that a lot of pub players don't give a shit about trying to control the objective until they're about five seconds from losing, at which point everyone bum-rushes the point/payload and then the roles are switched. I'm about 100 games in now and starting to get burnt out on people going rogue -- I don't mind bad players at all (and honestly, I'm probably one of them) as long as they're making a decent try at winning the game and not just racking up kills.

repeater

I'd say it started with the first hints of Linkle in Hyrule Warriors. Once you put the idea out there it ain't going away.

That she turns out to not actually be the Hero of Time in that game made people question, "Why not?".
And, indeed, why the hell not? Link is such a total blank slate that you could easily add a gender option. Does he even overtly romance Zelda in most of the games? (I mean, I don't mind if femLink could do that too, but I can -- sadly -- see why Nintendo would draw a line there.)

Tubobutts

I was okay with ads until the Bombcast started doing them for some podcast that sounded totally like some gross PUA thing. Dog whistles everywhere.
Yeah those have been making me consider switching to the premium version.

And I have no problem with a female Link as long as they don't fucking call her Linkle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom