• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

When I looked that podcast up it honestly seemed like some pretty innocent motivational stuff. Probably pretty dumb like most of that kind of thing are, but nothing more than that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I was okay with ads until the Bombcast started doing them for some podcast that sounded totally like some gross PUA thing. Dog whistles everywhere.
I thought it sounded like a garbage podcast that I'm happy is giving them money. Honestly, they could pretty much advertise anything outside of straight up games and I would be alright with it.

Tubobutts

When I looked that podcast up it honestly seemed like some pretty innocent motivational stuff. Probably pretty dumb like most of that kind of thing is, but nothing more than that.
I don't like the sound of this motivational stuff. Sounds like being up to something.

And also the ads in general haven't been as entertaining as they've been in the past. Which I get isn't the point of ads, but still.

Myggen

I don't like the sound of this motivational stuff. Sounds like being up to something.

And also the ads in general haven't been as entertaining as they've been in the past. Which I get isn't the point of ads, but still.

I think the Bombcast ads are entertaining. The Beastcast ads have been pretty bad since day 1.

But listening to a lot of podcasts has made me appreciate the ads on the GB podcasts. There's so much stuff out there of people just reading a script, saying they personally LOVE all the products etc.

5XALukt.png
---

I was surprised that this wasn't a Dan Ryckert joint.

Listening to Midge Ure's cover of Man Who Sold the World and it's making me miss the days when I was excited by MGSV.

The lead up to the release and playing the game was fantastic, shame for the story stuff though but I enjoyed some of the aspects of it.

Alex sounded heartbroken, and I'm legit shook at the idea that he would start looking elsewhere because CBSi doesn't sound like it's supporting them sufficiently.

I still haven't listened to that one, savoring it. Will listen probably tomorrow.

Meneses

I always listen to the ads, sometimes there are funny bits in there even though the best combo (Brett + Small Business Man) is no longer there.

That "motivational" podcast definitely left me a bit uncomfortable, for some reason it sounds a bit skeezy. Maybe it's totally harmless but that's not the impression it leaves me. It makes me think of a "Tom Cruise in Magnolia" type of thing.

Teddified

Watching as much Giant Bomb as I do, I have adopted Jeff's way of saying "hold on" when reloading a gun in front of enemies. Though I'm not really saying it just thinking it.

BearPawB

Banned
i've just never bothered to look up how to subscribe to the premium feed in overcast.

i just hit the "forward 30 seconds" button like i do in every other podcast

Volotaire

---

I was surprised that this wasn't a Dan Ryckert joint.

The lead up to the release and playing the game was fantastic, shame for the story stuff though but I enjoyed some of the aspects of it.

I still haven't listened to that one, savoring it. Will listen probably tomorrow.

I hope Carmack talks about his expereince. It would be pretty interesting. Also, I know that Brad interviewed Carmack a while ago, but it would be cool to get Carmack on one of their E3 style developer shows.

Megasoum

Banned
Thanks! Doing decently well. I had two herniated discs that needed to get operated on. There's still some nerve pain and the surgery pain, but for the first time in over a year I'm not in agony most of the day. Its wonderful.

That's great!

I actually have an appointement tomorrow afternoon with my doc to talk to her about a bump I have on my stomach which is most propably an ernia too.

I fully expect to get a surgery in the couple of months because of that. It doesn't hurt or anything right now... It's just weird looking.

Congrats!

Thank you!

That's great!

I actually have an appointement tomorrow afternoon with my doc to talk to her about a bump I have on my stomach which is most propably an ernia too.

I fully expect to get a surgery in the couple of months because of that. It doesn't hurt or anything right now... It's just weird looking.

Thanks! Hope it all works out for you 🙂

Sooo.....are there any games coming out in the next few weeks?
I feel like there's nothing.

That new game from the Braid guy comes out soon doesn't it? Monster Hunter generations is out in July too.

Thanks! Doing decently well. I had two herniated discs that needed to get operated on. There's still some nerve pain and the surgery pain, but for the first time in over a year I'm not in agony most of the day. Its wonderful.

A buddy of mine who I worked with in high school suffered the same injury lifting some boxes (cast iron cookware can be fucking heavy) and I remember how debilitating it was, so that's great!

Speaking of new releases, I'm curious to see what kind of reception The Technomancer gets. Mars War Logs was pretty bad but at least had a few decent ideas, so I could see it being solid.

Wunder

Maybe Jeff's crazy theory on Overwatch rubberbanding isn't so chemtrails-y. Had around where, we were 0% to 99% in overtime, to where a guy on their team kept gloating in chat. But we somehow came back and beat them. That guy ended up leaving before the next round.

This happens way too often to be a coincidence. I also doubt they were trying to "hide" that, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Obvious how? There's literally no mechanic I can think of that they can 'tweak' during one part of the game that gives a rubberband-y effect. The overtime bar does not somehow know there's going to be a guy just about to touch it and lasts half a second longer than it's supposed to. You don't somehow gain a movement speed boost in the last 10 seconds of the game. The fact that anybody needs to justify a close game with 'rubberband' mechanics is absurd.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That new game from the Braid guy comes out soon doesn't it? Monster Hunter generations is out in July too.

The Witness? That came out in january

Oh, you mean the Limbo people? Forgot about that.

Obvious how? There's literally no mechanic I can think of that they can 'tweak' during one part of the game that gives a rubberband-y effect. The overtime bar does not somehow know there's going to be a guy just about to touch it and lasts half a second longer than it's supposed to. You don't somehow gain a movement speed boost in the last 10 seconds of the game. The fact that anybody needs to justify a close game with 'rubberband' mechanics is absurd.

Obvious in that almost one in three games (at least it feels like that) I've played are about to end 99-0 and then somehow my or the other team turn it around. I have never seen so many, huge swings in games that often.

BearPawB

Banned
The Witness? That came out in january

Oh, you mean the Limbo people? Forgot about that.

Obvious in that almost one in three games (at least it feels like that) I've played are about to end 99-0 and then somehow my or the other team turn it around. I have never seen so many, huge swings in games that often.

It's just how the game works though.
The game isn't hiding anything from you.
There are no comeback mechanics in that game. (besides overtime).

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, that's why I said that I don't think that they are trying to hide it ;)
It's obvious to me that the game is built around enabling those huge swings.

If I had to describe what it felt like, without any actual facts to back it up, the percentage increases faster for the losing team. As well as reduced time to capture a point. Could be in my head. I don't know.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thought so, but the voices keep telling me to shut up and play as Mei.

I mean if you actually want to shut people out of rushing to activate overtime an icewall or two is great for watching reinhardts charge into the objective only to be milliseconds too late.

Mr. F

Banned
Anyone listen to friends at the table? Thought it would be a good time to get into it with the new lack of Austin podcast presence, but the first ep is kind of been a hard listen.

Basically wondering if counter weight picks up a bit more or if it maintain the pace of the first ep. I can appreciate it for what it is, but it feels kind of hard to pay attention to when there's gaps of silence as they figure out rules and character stuff.

Jabronium

Anyone listen to friends at the table? Thought it would be a good time to get into it with the new lack of Austin podcast presence, but the first ep is kind of been a hard listen.

Basically wondering if counter weight picks up a bit more or if it maintain the pace of the first ep. I can appreciate it for what it is, but it feels kind of hard to pay attention to when there's gaps of silence as they figure out rules and character stuff.

The first few eps of season 1 are kinda rough, as I recall. It does get better but I didn't finish that season on account of really not liking some player decisions. I suppose I should give it another shot.

Counter/WEIGHT is really good with a few rough patches. Highly recommended. It picks up after the character creation stuff. Somewhere around ep 10-12 they change rule systems and go back to an Apocalypse World hack which they all seem a bit more comfortable with.

Cyros

The first few eps of season 1 are kinda rough, as I recall. It does get better but I didn't finish that season on account of really not liking some player decisions. I suppose I should give it another shot.

Counter/WEIGHT is really good with a few rough patches. Highly recommended. It picks up after the character creation stuff. Somewhere around ep 10-12 they change rule systems and go back to an Apocalypse World hack which they all seem a bit more comfortable with.

I only listened to the first two or three episodes of the Dungeon World game they played, but I've listened to all of Counter Weight (it's where I came in). I really enjoy how Austin brings in all these different Rpg systems to make the world work. I will say I didn't care for the Holiday special episodes and ended up skipping them.

Also, Counter Weight has Lazer Ted.
https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/746035172710055936

Scizzy

It definitely picks up a lot around episode 10 or so once they tweak the system a bit. I'll admit I was terrible at grasping the world building, but it eventually builds up a lot of momentum.

Edited because I misunderstood the question.

Jintor

they change game systems a bunch but once they get back into their hacked up *World system everything starts to flow a lot better since they intuitiely understand that system. The ones where they do a new game system usually kinda are confusing as hell though. The exception maybe is the one where just Jack and Austin play a game basically about creating a religion.

Speaking of *World, I've been getting a hankering to play a game, which is really bad timing because I'm about to move continents. I wonder if I can set something up for, like, in two months when I'm back near a PC on the reg.

Apologies to the DungeonGAF game which kinda just fell apart.

Jintor

I think there's an apocolypse world superheroes hack I might be interested in doing... hmmm...

The main reason I put Cass = Aria is I literally forgot his name for a few moments which indicated to me I barely remembered what he did besides be a cool fish guy sometimes. Aria was cool conceptually but the execution I think wasn't so hot except when it tied back to her former life as a pop idol in some direct way (i.e. the holographic concert or using the fireworks built into the Brilliance in creative ways)

AuDy was the standout by far for me.

Fantastapotamus

I was lukewarm on Limbo but Brad said at MS's E3 conference talk-over that he was impressed by Inside. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I feel like Limbo got a lot of praise because it was one of the first big "Indie" games. I played it a couple years later and I still don't quite get what people see in it. Yes, it's kinda weird to see the deaths but the puzzles aren't great and there's not much else in the game.
If Limbo came out today I doubt it would get nearly as much praise.

Lijik

Limbo is a game that starts off strong and becomes increasingly dull the further you get from the opening forest area.

Still cant believe a game that starts off with such a strong sense of identity ends in a generic factory doing box puzzles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom