• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of ten games better than Limbo. But I mean, it inspired a legion of clones because it was so effective at what it did. Definitely a product of a time, but it's not fair to undersell its effectiveness just because we now have the benefit of hindsight.

Also, in Austin's last Beastcast, his callout to Neogaf's TitS mania is the best. Because it's true!

Mr. F

Banned
The first few eps of season 1 are kinda rough, as I recall. It does get better but I didn't finish that season on account of really not liking some player decisions. I suppose I should give it another shot.

Counter/WEIGHT is really good with a few rough patches. Highly recommended. It picks up after the character creation stuff. Somewhere around ep 10-12 they change rule systems and go back to an Apocalypse World hack which they all seem a bit more comfortable with.

It definitely picks up a lot around episode 10 or so once they tweak the system a bit. I'll admit I was terrible at grasping the world building, but it eventually builds up a lot of momentum.

Edited because I misunderstood the question.

Cool, good to know. Yeah I was having the same problem (re; grasping the world building) - between the monologues to establish the world and their riffing on it, was hard to keep up.

I'm guessing I should just stick it through and not just skip to ep 10, for story purposes...right?

Cyros

Cool, good to know. Yeah I was having the same problem (re; grasping the world building) - between the monologues to establish the world and their riffing on it, was hard to keep up.

I'm guessing I should just stick it through and not just skip to ep 10, for story purposes...right?

In addition to the ground game with the Chime, there are episodes with a different group who play out a faction game which has some effect on the Chime in the ground game. You may or may not care about that.

Mr. F

Banned
In addition to the ground game with the Chime, there are episodes with a different group who play out a faction game which has some effect on the Chime in the ground game. You may or may not care about that.

Huh, cool. I'll stick with it for a few and see how it goes. I've been listening at 1.5x to alleviate some of the dead air and breeze past some of the character building stuff where there seems to be a lot of confusion and talking through documents. I'm sure it'll get better once the actual campaign gets going

BTA

I fell behind on season 2 of FatT during the faction game right before the switch in games. Caught up when it was clear the finale was going to be soon and it was definitely easier to follow afterwards due to the changes they made. It might've helped that I was listening to the back 2/3 of the show in such a short amount of time, though. I love both seasons and everyone's great, and I'm excited to see what they're getting into for the next two seasons.

Also: I first played Limbo about a year ago. I can see why people were into it at the time but it did very little for me; it felt very repetitive and the platforming was weird (lots of jumping across to grab an edge when I thought the jump should make it to the other side, which constantly felt off). I'm probably waiting on this one but I'm hoping I'll be more into it.

Seventy70

I wish they would do Game Tapes more frequently. It's probably my favorite feature on the site right now. I feel nostalgic when they reminisce back to the GameSpot and early GB days.

BTA

I wish they would do Game Tapes more frequently. It's probably my favorite feature on the site right now. I feel nostalgic when they reminisce back to the GameSpot and early GB days.

It's definitely the feature I've been looking forward to the most these days.

Thank god for that. Youtube is filled with shows about games from pre-playstation/N64 era Of course Jeff has much more knowledge but I just can't relate.

YouTube is filled with footage of everything. No reason to shun the good stuff because of that.

May TOGS live forever.

Jabronium

I think there's an apocolypse world superheroes hack I might be interested in doing... hmmm...

The main reason I put Cass = Aria is I literally forgot his name for a few moments which indicated to me I barely remembered what he did besides be a cool fish guy sometimes. Aria was cool conceptually but the execution I think wasn't so hot except when it tied back to her former life as a pop idol in some direct way (i.e. the holographic concert or using the fireworks built into the Brilliance in creative ways)

AuDy was the standout by far for me.

Would the superhero game be on the forum here?

Fair enough on Cass, agreed on Aria. I felt like we kept being told she was a big deal without actually seeing why we should think so. Jack playing
Orth
during the holiday special was also great, I thought. The faction game had its moments but I found up being pretty meh on it overall.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I wasn't really interested in Asemblance but after seeing Brad and Dan hyping it up on Twitter I kinda want to know what it is.

Jintor

Would the superhero game be on the forum here?

dunno. Dungeon World worked okay but I really think the essence of rpg is in the back-and-forth conversation and that's difficult to do properly as part of a forum thread. I might use it to org something; FatT works across skype/timezones, so I don't see why that couldn't work if we could get it right.

dunno. Dungeon World worked okay but I really think the essence of rpg is in the back-and-forth conversation and that's difficult to do properly as part of a forum thread. I might use it to org something; FatT works across skype/timezones, so I don't see why that couldn't work if we could get it right.

I was thinking about this recently, maybe have a regular half hour to hour once or twice a week that we all hop into a chatroom at so there could be more conversation for the scenes that need it (obviously this in the stead of the solid 2+ hour chunk needed for a live session - if that's possible that's ideal)

I liked Limbo, it was short enough that I didn't feel it outstayed its welcome. Probably wouldn't play the exact same game more, so I'll have to see just how close to Limbo their new game is.

Xater

I feel like the first half hour of Limbo was incredible, and then the rest felt like a straightforward puzzle game.

I played for like 1,5 to 2 hours I think. Don't see myself every returning to that. Their new game seemingly being pretty similar puts it instantly on my "Do not care at all" list.

Xater

Brad could possibly play a JRPG, but no way in hell Dan would play any JRPG.

He already said he is open to trying them, because he ignored them for so long.

Also I can see Jason giving them a shot, problem for his is probably more time because of the baby.

Jabronium

I was thinking about this recently, maybe have a regular half hour to hour once or twice a week that we all hop into a chatroom at so there could be more conversation for the scenes that need it (obviously this in the stead of the solid 2+ hour chunk needed for a live session - if that's possible that's ideal)

Cool. I'd definitely be interested if/when recruitment starts.

Xater

Suggestion: Play stuff like Fiasco or Goblin Quest that can be done in a single session and doesn't require a DM.

iPhone people, do you use Safari as your browser? It's annoying me lately. When I switch to a tab with a GAF thread on it (like this thread), it rolls back the replies and sometimes randomly goes back a bunch of pages, so I end up having no idea where I left off to see new replies. Does Chrome work any better?

I regret switching to iPhone.

Rainmaker

Banned
iPhone people, do you use Safari as your browser? It's annoying me lately. When I switch to a tab with a GAF thread on it (like this thread), it rolls back the replies and sometimes randomly goes back a bunch of pages, so I end up having no idea where I left off to see new replies. Does Chrome work any better?

I regret switching to iPhone.

I've been having the same problem since a little before E3. It's incredibly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom