• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why, but I think it's funny that there's games blatantly ripping off Farm Simulator.

Like it's amazing that we've gotten to the point that those games are successful and big enough that others are making games with logos and text that look almost exactly like theirs

It's crazy how new games from the makers of Limbo and Braid are releasing or have released this year for the first time since those games came out.

It's crazy how new games from the makers of Limbo and Braid are releasing or have released this year for the first time since those games came out.

And they're both good from most accounts, despite how much the indie game landscape has changed since their first game. I think that's pretty impressive.

No way am I watching the QL for Inside until I've beaten the game. Brad Spoilermaker is incapable of not spoiling things. The worst part is, he doesn't seem to get why other people would find the things he spoils, to be spoilers.

Great now people are posting [sic[so sic]]marked spoilers in this thread. Time to bail. I don't trust people to not "accidently" screw up spoiler tagging.

jaina

Brad just said
"unsettling imagery"
in the Inside QL, which made me go from 'maybe' to 'no', for now. Last 5 minutes of the QL show a difference to Limbo, btw.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
As soon as I heard Brad talking about Inside coyly during E3 and refusing to mention things about it, I was sure he had a 5 star review pending for it. No surprise there, the man knows what he likes and that is it.

And they're both good from most accounts, despite how much the indie game landscape has changed since their first game. I think that's pretty impressive.

Definitely. It's like the progenitors of modern indy gaming have come back to prove that they're still relevant.

Edit: That Inside QL seemed very unspoilery to me. It looks great, though if Limbo rubbed you the wrong way, I don't think more of that with better puzzle mechanics would do a lot for you.

Peru

I don't know why, but I think it's funny that there's games blatantly ripping off Farm Simulator.

Like it's amazing that we've gotten to the point that those games are successful and big enough that others are making games with logos and text that look almost exactly like theirs

Well Farm Simulator and all those games originally ripped off Microsoft Flight Simulator's packaging

1522354-msfs95boxart.jpg

Definitely. It's like the progenitors of modern indy gaming have come back to prove that they're still relevant.

Edit: That Inside QL seemed very unspoilery to me. It looks great, though if Limbo rubbed you the wrong way, I don't think more of that with better puzzle mechanics would do a lot for you.

I'm questioning if I should look into Inside since Limbo wasn't to my taste. Everything points to Limbo 2, for better or worse.

I was looking at QLCrew today (amazing site) and looking at the list of names I realised we are by far in the weakest era of the site in terms of personalities. It's still really good but a few years ago we had on content...

Jeff, Patrick, Vinny, Ryan, Drew, Dave, Alex and Will.

That's a line-up that probably won't be topped. Austin, Jason and Dan just can't fill those shoes.

Pull in Danny and Mary and you would get a lot closer!

Not hating, just pretty amazing all those guys were in the same place at same time.

It happened at 1Up and Gamespot too back in the day so it could happen again.

I was looking at QLCrew today (amazing site) and looking at the list of names I realised we are by far in the weakest era of the site in terms of personalities. It's still really good but a few years ago we had on content...

That's a line-up that probably won't be topped. Austin, Jason and Dan just can't fill those shoes.

Not hating, just pretty amazing all those guys were in the same place at same time.

I disagree, before Austin left I felt like that was the strongest GB lineup, had the best amount of quality content. Everyone seemed like they were running at their best and both offices have their own dynamic that makes it feel more fresh. Plus Jeff B, can't forget about Jeff B.

I'll take Austin over any of those who are gone any day (except Ryan, RIP buddy :( )

But right now it's slim pickings with Austin gone. Also, I wish Jeff was on more quick looks these days. Maybe it's just my perception but I feel like he doesn't do that many anymore.

I'd take Austin over all the departed staff (except for Ryan obviously). I actually thought things were in a really great place up until Austin leaving, probably the best lineup of staff and shows they've had ever. Just the Beastcast alone (with the rise of Camera-Ready Alex) elevates things a huge amount

Austin leaving throws things for a loop, but I really dig change-mode Giant Bomb, so I'm sure it'll work out.

GBEast was exceptional with Austin. Wonderful chemistry between the three+one of them. I'll concede that GBWest could use a shakeup. Everybody works well together but it's not on the level of, say, I'd watch an Austin+Vinny or Vinny+Jeff or Ryan+Jeff quicklook regardless of my interest in the game.

I think West needs one more person who can talk about games the same way Jeff, Brad, Austin, and Alex can. Dan brings the funny and Drew and Jason are fun additions, but Brad and Jeff definitely carry a lot of the news and industry discussions. It's a role I thought Patrick was really great at filling on the Bombcast.

GBEast was exceptional with Austin. Wonderful chemistry between the three+one of them. I'll concede that GBWest could use a shakeup. Everybody works well together but it's not on the level of, say, I'd watch an Austin+Vinny or Vinny+Jeff or Ryan+Jeff quicklook regardless of my interest in the game.

Strax

I disagree, before Austin left I felt like that was the strongest GB lineup, had the best amount of quality content. Everyone seemed like they were running at their best and both offices have their own dynamic that makes it feel more fresh. Plus Jeff B, can't forget about Jeff B.

100% agree

Seventy70

Nah, they're cool, but they are very much GameSpot people. I feel like in order to be a GB, member, you have to be a very independent person and those two are "follow the crowd" type of people. Nothing wrong with that though.
I agree. This past year GBE produced excellent content. There was Contradiction, Until Dawn, Castlevanias, Life is Strange, Project BEAST, and Phantasmagoria 2. Now that I think about it, I can't remember anything that happened on the West this year. If anything the West needs a shakeup. Personally, I feel like Dan is becoming more grating to the point where I try to avoid anything he's in. He's a cool guy, but he needs to tone down the "say something intentionally stupid in order to get a reaction" shtick. It's getting old real fast.

justjim89

Yeah, I'll agree that the past year of Giant Bomb is the best it's ever been. Dan and Jason coming in brought Drew out of his shell, then Austin came into GBEast and that whole part of the site came into its own. Giant Bomb the past two years has been on a consistent uphill trend, and I'm curious to see who they bring into GBEast to fill Austin's shoes.

justjim89

A demo for the System Shock reboot goes up today. It'd be cool if we got a video of it or impressions from Brad, that looks pretty sick.

Edit: Strax, you may jest, but I do still love me some Zero Punctuation.

I'm hoping they have another Demo Derby/Game tapes this week. It's been like 15 months since the last one.

~~~
On a sidenote, has GAF been laggy for anyone else? When I click to go to the topic select or to post reply, it kinda lags/hangs. It's not my internet, because in the same time I can open Yahoo, Twitter, and FB and they'll all load faster >_>;

The problem with Austin leaving is that he had a very unique range of interests that will be very hard to replicate. Someone who can speak intelligently on grand strategy but can still get giddy and childish over DBZ and Gundam. Missing someone for Vinny to talk DBZ or Warhammer to is a big gaping hole that will be tough to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom