• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Book Club-gaf? I remember posting in something like it but I can't remember the title. I think Jintor and I were like the only two posting about science books, specifically about the space race.

Tagyhag

I kept fast-forwarding through this UPF thinking "Is SF over now? Now? Oh God only 15 minutes left and it's still going"

So disappointing.

Since there are no video people this week, hope they do upf again.
1iwXsw4.gif

Finally saw Dawn of Justice. What a garbage film! I can't even figure out what they were going for, but they missed it.

It's so bad. I watched the 3 hour ultimate cut and found it a complete mess from a pacing and editing POV, but apparently the original is even worse in that regard, which is hard to believe. It's just so incredibly dull. And don't even get me started on what they did to Batman as a character, jesus.

I'm still "friends" with several dead friends on FB. it's kind of weird to occasionally see them tagged or get birthday notifications.

I should probably unfriend them, but it feels weird.

Earlier this week I was playing a game on the 360 and it told me I had beaten the score of a friend that died in January.

They wanted some of the marvel fun bucks and missed why people see marvel films. It's actually really simple. Also Zach Snyder.
Snyder must have had a killer contract, because otherwise I just don't see why they'd keep letting him churn this shit out.
It's so bad. I watched the 3 hour ultimate cut and found it a complete mess from a pacing and editing POV, but apparently the original is even worse in that regard, which is hard to believe. It's just so incredibly dull. And don't even get me started on what they did to Batman as a character, jesus.
The version I saw was the 3-hour cut as well. There's just... so much in it, but it all rings hollow. I do admit though that I enjoyed Batman not giving a shit and murdering dudes.

The version I saw was the 3-hour cut as well. There's just... so much in it, but it all rings hollow. I do admit though that I enjoyed Batman not giving a shit and murdering dudes.

Completely undermining the character's own morals and making him really no better than Superman's murderspree that was the whole catalyst for wanting to take down Superman in the first place.

It's actually much cooler of a character where he manages to not murder the entirety of the criminal underworld.

Its a little worse then Civil War and that gets a tounge bath.

I'll admit that Civil War wasn't the strongest Marvel movie (especially considering the source material) but come on now.

Civil War wasn't fantastic (although I did like it), but it makes Batman v Superman look like a high budget student film written by a freshman.
Completely undermining the character's own morals and making him really no better than Superman's murderspree that was the whole catalyst for wanting to take down Superman in the first place.

It's actually much cooler of a character where he manages to not murder the entirety of the criminal underworld.
You're totally right, but in a shit film remaining true to those aspects of the character is totally trivial. Wouldn't have made it a better movie.

I would've been okay with it if it was at all explored, but nothing comes of it. Even after his supposed "redemptive" moment (fucking LOL at that too) he just keeps on killin' dudes like it aint no thang, and he's painted as a big hero in the end even though he's totally awful. It's just one more thing that rings hollow, like it was just done because they thought that'd make it darker and edgier. Snyder has the exact sensibilities of a 15 year old DBZ AMV maker.

Strax

you are out of your mind

I'll admit that Civil War wasn't the strongest Marvel movie but come on now.

BvS is a 6 and Civil War is a 6.5 on a pure filmmaking level. People living outside the nerd bubble that have not stake in this Marvel vs. DC bullshit like them both. People wanted to hate BvS before it came out and it had to be on The Dark Knight level to get decent reviews. If DC put out a movie that was on par with Ant-Man shit would've been put in the same class as Ed Wood films. The marketing and how the press talk about those two movies will one day be case study in how much influence marketing can have on people.

Jintor

Is there a Book Club-gaf? I remember posting in something like it but I can't remember the title. I think Jintor and I were like the only two posting about science books, specifically about the space race.

There's a book club every month in it, usually called readgaf or book gaf I think

BvS is a 6 and Civil War is a 6.5 on a pure filmmaking level. People living outside the nerd bubble that have not stake in this Marvel vs. DC bullshit like them both. People wanted to hate BvS before it came out and it had to be on The Dark Knight level to get decent reviews. If DC put out a movie that was on par with Ant-Man shit would've been put in the same class as Ed Wood films. The marketing and how the press talk about those two movies will one day be case study in how much influence marketing can have on people.

Alt take: there actually is no grand Marvel vs DC conspiracy outside of a few lunatics and Marvel just makes pretty good movies and BvS is a turd.

But what do I know.

BearPawB

Banned

i stand by my previous statement that you are out of your mind.

And I actually like some of Snyders other work.

BvS is pure dog shit.

I'd say Star Wars 7 is a better example. Quite like the film, but boy, a month or three there the Star Wars marketing was everywhere. Which makes me think if EA made a good Battlefront, it would've been massive.

Zaph

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Most of my friends aren't in a 'nerd bubble' and I don't think I've ever heard of BvS spoken of positively. Then again, it wasn't spoken of much at all. Boy did that film come and go extremely fast compared to its hype.

All the marvel movies always come across as the most vapid summer blockbusters to me.
Yet oddly enough are often the least vapid blockbusters in these last few years of big budget failures.

All the marvel movies always come across as the most vapid summer blockbusters to me.

I think people who say this don't watch enough vapid summer blockbusters. Most Marvel movies aren't completely reinventing the wheel but they're better than 95% of the big-budget shit we've been fed for years and continue to get (The Gods of Egypts and Ben-Hur remakes of the world.

Civil War was one of the better ones though for sure because if you thought that was shit then boy, I don't know what you'd think about Thor 2 or Iron Man 2.

As for Snyder, he hasn't done a good thing in years. His best work is that Dawn of the Dead remake, Watchmen, that owl movie and 300(even that not many people like but I do).

Zaph

As for Snyder, he hasn't done a good thing in years. His best work is that Dawn of the Dead remake, Watchmen, that owl movie and 300(even that not many people like but I do).
300 is legit. Probably doesn't hold up well, but anyone who watched that on release and didn't enjoy themselves is a liar. A liar!

BearPawB

Banned
BvS could've had no trailers and still made 500 millz

Yeah, so then how does your argument that the "bad marketing" affected the movie hold any water at all?

300 is legit. Probably doesn't hold up well, but anyone who watched that on release and didn't enjoy themselves is a liar. A liar!

When it came out i really liked it.

it is REALLY hard to go back to.

Ill go out on the limb and say i'm probably the only one who doesn't entirely hate Sucker Punch (fuck me I think Steampunk Nazi Robots are cool)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think people who say this don't watch enough vapid summer blockbusters. Most Marvel movies aren't completely reinventing the wheel but they're better than 95% of the big-budget shit we've been fed for years and continue to get (The Gods of Egypts and Ben-Hur remakes of the world.

I mean i don't watch them either because they just look like vapid summer blockbusters.

I somewhat enjoy the few I've watched but there's always a sheen to their production that makes anything but the broad strokes immediately forgettable to me.

BvS could've had no trailers and still made 500 millz

I think you're really working backwards from assumptions because this doesn't make sense. Companies don't spend $$$ on marketing because it doesn't work. That movie withered after the first 2 weeks because of word of mouth. Because it's a bad movie.

Strax

Yeah, so then how does your argument that the "bad marketing" affected the movie hold any water at all?

Because it had a big part in making a movie that should've made a billi not to make a billi and left no big shocks for the public to see. If they've kept Doomsday out of trailers and in the "rumor" section of websites nerds (I mean in a good way) would've lost their shit and hyped this movie to heaven.

I also think this isn't the place for this discussion unless the guys talk about it so I'll stop posting about it in this thread.

Can't wait for demo derby.

The "nerds" are a very small subset of movie goers. Movies don't make billions by appealing to nerds. They make billions when they appeal to everyone

Nerd culture is hot, its never been bigger. If your hardcore fans aren't talking in a good way about your movie why would Dick and Jane see it? Fanboys liking Marvel movies is the only reason we have a MCU. The people who are writing reviews and talking about movies are total DC/Marvel fans and they love you, you are set. If they hate you, you won't make as much money.

I mean i don't watch them either because they just look like vapid summer blockbusters.

I somewhat enjoy the few I've watched but there's always a sheen to their production that makes anything but the broad strokes immediately forgettable to me.

Yeah, I'll agree that they have a shiny sameness to them, probably just as a result of that well-oiled Disney machine.

Y'all need to see Swiss Army Man. Easily the best movie based around fart/boner jokes that I've ever seen.

BearPawB

Banned
Because it had a big part in making a movie that should've made a billi not to make a billi and left no big shocks for the public to see. If they've kept Doomsday out of trailers and in the "rumor" section of websites nerds (I mean in a good way) would've lost their shit and hyped this movie to heaven.

The "nerds" are a very small subset of movie goers. Movies don't make billions by appealing to nerds. They make billions when they appeal to everyone

Yeah, I'll agree that they have a shiny sameness to them, probably just as a result of that well-oiled Disney machine.

Y'all need to see Swiss Army Man. Easily the best movie based around fart/boner jokes that I've ever seen.

Dude, the last five minutes of that movie had me laughing as hard as I have ever laughed at a movie. Everything about the last part of that movie is so perfect

Dude, the last five minutes of that movie had me laughing as hard as I have ever laughed at a movie. Everything about the last part of that movie is so perfect

The
dad inexplicably shifting from being enraged to giving a smiling nod
was fucking hilarious. And that last smile from Manny. SO good. And I might have a new favorite montage song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom