• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wanted some of the marvel fun bucks and missed why people see marvel films. It's actually really simple. Also Zach Snyder.

I genuinely think Zack Snyder has that sort of immature teenager mindset on what makes things meaningful and poignant. For instance, I read an interview from him from 2008 where he felt Batman Begins was not dark enough and should've been much darker. He thought if he was the director, Bruce would've been raped in the prison at the beginning of the movie. I'm just glad Christopher Nolan was the director and not Zack Snyder.

http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder

Zack Snyder said:
Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go. I believe that pop culture is just, like, so ready for Watchmen. We tried so hard to ride that wave between satire and reality, and all the things that make you still care about the character, but you don’t miss the commentary about them. Nite-Owl is Batman. The guy has a fricking cave under his house! No doubt a fanboy will look at the movie and not get it. ”He looks just like Batman!” Precisely. When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, ”It’s like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That’s crazy!” And I’m like, ”Yeah, but that’s the point!” With their comic, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were saying, ”Superheroes are kinda funky, aren’t they?” We build upon that with a movie that acknowledges that superhero movies have affected pop culture.

As for BvS (spoilers in the link), this was his idea of "fun":

Scizzy

My God. I had a long flight today so I finally settled in and watched HitDan: Marrakesh. I knew how it was going to end, but I was not ready. I was not ready. A true masterpiece.

As for BvS (spoilers in the link), this was his idea of "fun":

THAT was a named character too?? Sheesh.

The only part of the BvS I kind of liked was the Batman-in-the-desert with the superman soldier guys, but during it I literally said out loud "This is the first interesting thing I've seen so I'm sure it's a dream sequence of some sort" and then of course it was. And a weird thing happened right after that which probably mattered to some fans of the comics or something but was baffling in its awfulness to a casual viewer like myself.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Will I enjoy Inside if I never liked Limbo very much...at all?

Furi reminds me off No More Heroes 2. Just a bunch of weird boss fights one after the other. Looks neat.

Hmm, so I'm playing Tales of Zestiria on PC at the moment and whenever I quit the game through the menu it plays the Metal Gear Solid "Alert!" sound effect.

Adnor

Banned
I must say, I've never believed in meditation and stuff like that, but after that Bombcast a few weeks ago when Dan and Drew talked about it and how it has helped them I'm actually pretty curious to try it, especially because this year I had a big ass problem with anxiety attacks that made me suspend a year in collegue.

Is that book, 10% Happier, a good place to start reading about it? Also, how's Dan's book?

I must say, I've never believed in meditation and stuff like that, but after that Bombcast a few weeks ago when Dan and Drew talked about it and how it has helped them I'm actually pretty curious to try it, especially because this year I had a big ass problem with anxiety attacks that made me suspend a year in collegue.

Is that book, 10% Happier, a good place to start reading about it? Also, how's Dan's book?

Meditation may be a tool for dealing with anxiety but, like many things, might not always be effective.

On the basis of this overview's results, MBSR (mindfulness-based stress reduction) appears to have equivocal effects on symptoms of anxiety and depression. The benefits of MBSR were most evident when there was no active control group, suggesting that the symptomatic improvements might have been due to nonspecific variables rather than the effect of mindfulness intervention per se. Better controlled studies found no evidence for the efficacy of MBSR

Here's one that talks specifically about college students.

We found that meditation can reduce anxiety and negative affect while increasing hope in a non-clinical population. Our results suggest that the weekly longer meditation focused on both attentional and loving kindness aspects of mindfulness helped to reduce anxiety and negative affect and improve hope. The shorter meditation sessions showed some evidence of mitigating normal increases in anxiety and negative affect over the course of the semester.

However one very important issue is that this was a study done on students who volunteered, meaning there could have been some preconceived bias that meditation would work for them. Not to say it won't work! Just an important note in the study.

Holy crap, I managed to get Play of the Game as Mercy off an objective double revive and team heal to win in the dying seconds of a round (and now I'm getting a bunch of PSN friend requests lol)

Adnor

Banned
Meditation may be a tool for dealing with anxiety but, like many things, might not always be effective.

Here's one that talks specifically about college students.

However one very important issue is that this was a study done on students who volunteered, meaning there could have been some preconceived bias that meditation would work for them. Not to say it won't work! Just an important note in the study.

Thanks for the information! Will read it later. I'm taking medication now too, but I want to add more things to help.

ha
CmelmkCVIAA3ge6.jpg:small

More
Cmew48QVUAAAtcQ.jpg:small

I just watched Batman v Superman expecting it to be nowhere near as bad as people made out but it was terrible.

Fuck Superman. Can we not just go back to pumping resources into making Batman villains cool as fuck?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So on slightly related to some posters in this thread topic, just discovered that charisma.com is finally on google music.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shaolin vs Wutang game they played on UPF is 50% off during the Steam sale.

That's about how much I'll pay since the subject matter is awesome even if the game looks so-so.

God I want Sleeping Dogs 2. Or Rockstar to make a 70s Kung Fu movie

So I tried an order of those fried mac and cheese things from Burger King. Just... don't.

It's like shitty mac and cheese, with the weakest artificial cheese flavor imaginable, fried quickly and coated in a mix of something that's mostly fake orange color.
Yeah, they look like shit. Glad I did not pick some up.

#FE QL is so good.

I went from despising the game to having a respect for it. In a way, I can see how it's supposed to be SMT x FE. Not the one I was looking for, but the end result is pretty cool nonetheless.

...I miss Austin a little bit right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, despise it?

It's the only game that made me want to buy a Wii U. The only one.

Been looking at used ones on ebay or wait and see how it performs on Cemu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom