• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought The Force Awakens was pretty much as satisfying as it could've been.

It was heavy handed for sure but there were enough subtleties and little threads throughout that made me really want to see a sequel.

I thought all the complaining about the fight at the end being unrealistic totally missed the point of Kylo Ren and his inability to control emotion.

Johndoey

Banned
Episode 7 was just like Star Trek 09 for me this endlessly dull sit with characters I understood but didn't ever care about. I left both movies thinking like these are probably good, but I also never want to be subjected to them again.

Episode 7 was just like Star Trek 09 for me this endlessly dull sit with characters I understood but didn't ever care about. I left both movies thinking like these are probably good, but I also never want to be subjected to them again.

TFA was a fun nostalgia play but IMO it doesnt hold up on a second viewing.

Star Trek 09 at least tried to be a bit original and wasnt just 120 minutes of "hey wink wink remember this". It had some of that but it wasnt the entire movie. That was Into Darkness

I get that there are some things Dan should know and he probably shouldn't just declare he doesn't know something on Twitter, but I think we can get a little mean about it too. Not knowing GMT is perfectly reasonable for someone who doesn't interact with GMT.

To me, Episodes 1-3 are, ironically, what you would actually expect if Disney made Star Wars. Whereas 7 is what you would expect if the plot of the movie was crowd-sourced at a fan convention.

Teddified

It's almost a meme or something at this point, Dan will say he doesn't know something and people will come out of the woodwork to yell "DAN."

popo

I get that there are some things Dan should know and he probably shouldn't just declare he doesn't know something on Twitter, but I think we can get a little mean about it too. Not knowing GMT is perfectly reasonable for someone who doesn't interact with GMT.

Some is Dan being genuine. Most of the twitter ones are trolls. As has been pointed out, it would have been quicker to google on his phone than write the tweet, or turn to the person next to him and ask them. A tweet he knew would generate a response.

At the end of the Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens Quick Look, they discuss their trepidation for the young Han Solo movie. The reason I'm excited for it is the fact it is being directed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord (directors of 21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, and are also the creators of Fox's The Last Man on Earth), it's being written by Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of Star Wars Episodes V, VI, and VII and Raiders of the Lost Ark), and the guy they got to play young Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) had a breakout role in last year's Hail, Ceaser! (a Coen Brothers movie). Also, according to IMDb, he was actually "discovered" by none other than Steven Spielberg at the batmitzvah of a friend of Spielberg's daughter. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that the movie will be quite entertaining.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's not like Dan wants to know what "Hamilton" is. It's just an observation. That is kinda what Twitter is for. It's saying "Man, so many people seem to like this thing and I don't even know what it is!" and not "Hello internet, please tell me what this thing is, I really want to know"

jaina

I have an abandoned community OT of a game with shutdown servers, were I complain and post snarky remarks about you guys :)

I never thought I would feel validated by something Dan says, but it was nice to hear him echo what I've said (in this very thread) about Donnie Darko.

Remember when Twitter was bout posting from your toilet and alerting people that you were taking a shit

Now people want twitter to be about assertations and shit. Why are people freaking out that Dan is tweeting he doesnt know what Hamilton is. He tweets about taco bell all day, is it really a problem that he doesnt know what Hamilton is

It's not like Dan wants to know what "Hamilton" is. It's just an observation. That is kinda what Twitter is for. It's saying "Man, so many people seem to like this thing and I don't even know what it is!" and not "Hello internet, please tell me what this thing is, I really want to know"

That was the realization I had; I saw that tweet and was like "the fuck are you trying to accomplish by tweeting that, Dan" and then I realized that you could apply that same question to 99% of all tweets and there is no good answer for it and really we should just burn twitter to the ground, we'd all be better off

Megasoum

Banned
Wait... I just realized that the Demo Derby is coming out at 9PM on the East Coast... That's really dumb...

Os it the first time they release something at 6PM west coast time? What's the point?

I was looking forward to sit down to watch DD while eating my dinner.

BearPawB

Banned
That's the biggest thing.
Instead of just going "what is that?" and looking it up.
Dan shouts from the roof, I DON"T KNOW WHAT THIS IS HAHA

I don't know a lot of shit. I'm oblivious to a lot.
But if I want to know what something is, instead of making a tweet, i google it.

How much more interesting would Dan's tweets be if they were

"Just finally looked up what Hamilton was, that sounds really cool!"
"Wow, I just watched a 5 minute video on Brexit. I was surprised that...."

This got like 1000x more ranty then I meant it. Love Dan. Love who he is and what he does.
But if he wants me to believe in New Dan, I need to see more

Aaron

I thought The Force Awakens was pretty much as satisfying as it could've been.

It was heavy handed for sure but there were enough subtleties and little threads throughout that made me really want to see a sequel.

I thought all the complaining about the fight at the end being unrealistic totally missed the point of Kylo Ren and his inability to control emotion.
I thought it was a bad remake of A New Hope with worse characters and plot. Heck worse names for everything. I can't even remember what they're new empire faction was called. I just thought of them as Super Nazis. They couldn't have made Lady Luke or Lady Yoda more boring if they tried. While Darth Helmet had more dignity than New Vader.

It must really hit the nostalgia bone for some people. Because I thought it was pure garbage.

Looks like a good QL, been watching SGDQ so, saving up on GB content when games that don't interest me start running.

I thought it was a bad remake of A New Hope with worse characters and plot. Heck worse names for everything. I can't even remember what they're new empire faction was called. I just thought of them as Super Nazis. They couldn't have made Lady Luke or Lady Yoda more boring if they tried. While Darth Helmet had more dignity than New Vader.

It must really hit the nostalgia bone for some people. Because I thought it was pure garbage.

You should watch more movies if you thought TFA is pure garbage. At it's lowest, it's an ok/average film. I liked it quite abit though, then again I was wanting them to do anything that's better than the prequels in anyway, which they did.

BearPawB

Banned

:(

My hot take: A New Hope, despite being a classic, and one of my favorite movies. Is not necessarily a "great" movie either. It is full of already overdone tropes/macguffins. Luke is an awful character. New hope is every bit the dumb popcorn movie TFA was

Looks like a good QL, been watching SGDQ so, saving up on GB content when games that don't interest me start running.

I glanced at the schedule and the inclusion of a Bomberman 64 speedrun is exciting. Always wished there'd be a revival of that style of Bomberman, instead of the typical grid based one.

You should watch more movies if you thought TFA is pure garbage. At it's lowest, it's an ok/average film. I liked it quite abit though, then again I was wanting them to do anything that's better than the prequels in any way, which they did.
I've found that the more media I consume, the more critical reviews I read, and the more varied opinions I hear, the less prone to hyperbole I've become. Very few things are as bad or as good as people claim they are.

Khezu

Episode 1-3 were so bad they gave us the Plinkett reviews, and basically modern day RLM.

TFA is just kinda middle of the road serviceable blockbuster.

Call me when Sebulba gets his own spin off movie.

Meneses

Dan's feigned/proud ignorance shtick can be a bit much sometimes, but the good thing about social media in general and Twitter in particular is that you can just... not follow people. You don't have to consume every little thing they do.

Hell, at this point I think there's more duders that I don't follow than ones I do.

I've found that the more media I consume, the more critical reviews I read, and the more varied opinions I hear, the less prone to hyperbole I've become. Very few things are as bad or as good as people claim they are.

And too many times when there is something (typically a first sequel) that is clearly better than the original, people set themselves up for disappointment for a third movie (or game) because of how crazy they are about the second. Two examples I always go to are The Dark Knight Rises and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, neither are better than their predecessors, but man, do those movies/games get so much unwarranted hate.

Strax

Remember when Twitter was bout posting from your toilet and alerting people that you were taking a shit

Now people want twitter to be about assertations and shit. Why are people freaking out that Dan is tweeting he doesnt know what Hamilton is. He tweets about taco bell all day, is it really a problem that he doesnt know what Hamilton is

Twitter is going through the same shit Facebook did. Step by step.

1. Dumb shit because there were no unspoken rules. Posting dumb pictures and writing whatever.
2. A race towards being the funniest person on the site. Everybody has a funny quip (in their own mind).
3. A place people get their sports and political news.

Episode 1-3 were so bad they gave us the Plinkett reviews, and basically modern day RLM.

TFA is just kinda middle of the road serviceable blockbuster.

Call me when Sebulba gets his own spin off movie.

Favorite part about Sebulba is how people know of Sebulba. Ask somebody to name a prequel character and they start with Sebulba.

BearPawB

Banned
Twitter is going through the same shit Facebook did. Step by step.

1. Dumb shit because there were no unspoken rules. Posting dumb pictures and writing whatever.
2. A race towards being the funniest person on the site. Everybody has a funny quip (in their own mind).
3. A place people get their sports and political news.

Twitter and Facebook will always be different to me.

Facebook is friends and family. Which means i don't really look at it anymore.
Twitter is famous people/writers/journalists

Chuck

Still without luck
Link's update

dWN4xyq.png

It is a Bioshock avatar. I've always had a "bunny" avatar, and only change it to slight variations every once in a while. Gotta prevent that brand confusion.

I actually just put up the masquerade ball poster that you used to use as your avatar in my apartment. It looks slick and gets as many comments from non-gamers as people who know what it's from.

Favorite part about Sebulba is how people know of Sebulba. Ask somebody to name a prequel character and they start with Sebulba.

It's funny that for as awful as the characterization was in the prequel films, the first movie still somehow managed to create some weirdly enduring original characters. Sebulba, Maul, Jar-Jar, even arguably Boss Nass are all still on the outskirts of the public consciousness even 20 years later -- obviously not all for the right reasons, but it's interesting.

Link's update

http://i.imgur.com/dWN4xyq.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yes! So good. I appreciate your updates. I thought about you the other day when I watched a YouTube video about Link's Awakening that did a great job of showing one aspect of why it's so good.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AezAN2RcO8Y"]Don't watch it until you've beaten the game, though.[/URL]
[quote="Salty Catfish, post: 209147059"]I actually just put up the masquerade ball poster that you used to use as your avatar in my apartment. It looks slick and gets as many comments from non-gamers as people who know what it's from.[/QUOTE]

That's a great poster! It's evocative without being too "VIDEO GAMES!"

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/QMcY0.jpg"]I used to have a nice Bioshock art collection[/URL], but it's all back at my dad's house. Hopefully I'll get them someday.

Real Hero

:(

My hot take: A New Hope, despite being a classic, and one of my favorite movies. Is not necessarily a "great" movie either. It is full of already overdone tropes/macguffins. Luke is an awful character. New hope is every bit the dumb popcorn movie TFA was
A new hope is rooted in the mythological aspects and there's nothing really 'dumb popcorn' about it. I don't think TFA is a dumb popcorn movie either, just a bit of an empty one unlike a new hope. It at least presents a very interesting set up for ep 8.

Johndoey

Banned
I don't think any of the Star Wars movies are particularly good. Empire is just the best of the lot. Not to say the first three are awful or anything, but yeah.

Jabronium

A new hope is rooted in the mythological aspects and there's nothing really 'dumb popcorn' about it. I don't think TFA is a dumb popcorn movie either, just a bit of an empty one unlike a new hope. It at least presents a very interesting set up for ep 8.

Does it? At the end of TFA it's been thoroughly established that the protagonists are pretty much untouchable. Kylo got embarrassed, which completely undermines both him and Snoke. Great, Snoke is going to finish Kylo Ren's training, because he did such a good job with the first part. Not to mention the general Scooby-Doo level villainy of the First Order as a whole.

We're not given any reason to think that anyone or anything is a legitimate threat, much less challenge, to Finn, Poe, and Rey. Without challenges to face, fail against, learn from, and ultimately overcome, it made those three feel very, very flat to me. I have very little interest in watching their continuing adventures as a result.

But, different strokes and all that. Happy for those that did enjoy it. I've accepted that the new films probably just aren't going to be for me.

SAIL

ANH is flawed but this take is totally wrong. It didn't become a cultural sensation by being just a dumb popcorn movie. TFA doesn't *do* anything except reference ANH a lot, like, a lot. Everything is a reference to that movie. ANH was the distillation of the hero's journey, but the reason it worked is because it did the character work, and because it set up a universe, and had real stakes. TFA just goes "remember this from that other movie? It's like that again". That goes for Rey, it goes for the First Order / Resistance, Starkiller base, Han, the list goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom