• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 hours 45 minutes to Demo Derby.

jzc9UkS.gif

BearPawB

Banned
ANH is flawed but this take is totally wrong. It didn't become a cultural sensation by being just a dumb popcorn movie. TFA doesn't *do* anything except reference ANH a lot, like, a lot. Everything is a reference to that movie. ANH was the distillation of the hero's journey, but the reason it worked is because it did the character work, and because it set up a universe, and had real stakes. TFA just goes "remember this from that other movie? It's like that again". That goes for Rey, it goes for the First Order / Resistance, Starkiller base, Han, the list goes on.

Half the fun of hot takes is that they can be completely wrong.

I will standby my statement that Luke is a lame character.

Also: there was a hell of a lot less competition then then there is now for our movie going money.

Half the fun of hot takes is that they can be completely wrong.

I will standby my statement that Luke is a lame character.

Also: there was a hell of a lot less competition then then there is now for our movie going money.

Sure, but it wouldn't have had the staying power it does if there was nothing to it. It's easy to take it for granted because it's so ubiquitous now, but that movie was mythical in scope. The whole universe it established in one movie, the characters, it's pretty staggering. You can think Luke sucks, that's an opinion I can't argue with, but it inarguably did more to establish Luke as a character than TFA does on anyone except maaaaybe Kylo. I guess my point is there's more to a movie's quality than just nuts and bolts of filmmaking. Star Wars may be a 4/5 or whatever but it gave us Darth Vader and "use the Force" and Obi-Wan and who could put a price on that?

In conclusion may the fourth of july be with you

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like how at the beginning of the QL Dan seems like the one driving and then like seven minutes in out of nowhere he just explodes "I hate these games!"

I like how at the beginning of the QL Dan seems like the one driving and then like seven minutes in out of nowhere he just explodes "I hate these games!"

That kinda surprised me since I thought Jeff was the only one who felt that way, but watching that QL I realized that I'm also totally over the Lego game formula. The Marvel Super Heroes one was cool but otherwise they're all so cookie-cutter.

Teddified

I still enjoy the Lego games, but I don't really play all of them. I mainly took a long break before I played Batman 3 and Marvel. Currently I'm planning on playing the latest marvel avengers one, but I'll probably wait for a bit longer for a bigger discount.

Also never really touched the LOTR ones and not really interested in any further Star Wars ones. Just ones based on comics now I suppose.

Joeku

That kinda surprised me since I thought Jeff was the only one who felt that way, but watching that QL I realized that I'm also totally over the Lego game formula. The Marvel Super Heroes one was cool but otherwise they're all so cookie-cutter.

I think the Marvel one is still the best. It being pretty recent surprised me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Force Awakens is the most medicore, safe movie I've ever seen. It is the God of War reboot of movies. It is the Quantum Break of movies. You know that line in the Plinkett review for Titanic where he calls it the Applebees of movies?

That's Force Awakens to a tee. It is such a god damn forgettable movie to me that it's amazing how much it came and went in my head. The legacy and 'legacy' of the main movies and prequels at least had something to talk about. As opposed to 'that Star Wars movie that was really a Star Wars movie.'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At least we can agree on one thing; TFA is better than the garbage Marvel puts out 5 times a year

I guess. I mean, I remember struggling through Avengers 2 because my brother wanted to see it and thinking, 'this whole thing is one giant toy commercial. like gi joe is more subtle than this' and i'm of the opinion that every joss whedon character personality is the same. Everyone is witty. Even Captain America who's supposed to be this clean, moral compass, golden boy also has all these quips. Everyone quips all the time.

It's like the WWE issue where every main face is John Cena. Every MCU hero and villain is Buffy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's like the WWE issue where every main face is John Cena. Every MCU hero and villain is Buffy.

I think that you've drilled down to the core of why I find the marvel stuff super forgettable.

I kinda enjoyed GotG but man I can't remember anything specific about it. Precisely because of that.

GotG is definitely my "what are you people talking about" movie. That thing is nothing outside of its casting and soundtrack. Even the jokes are lame.

For some reason I thought Inside released last week...
The Force Awakens was such a great movie.

It was a great blockbuster, but a mediocre Star Wars movie. Good cast and a fun romp but there was none of the previous entries' iconic flair; even the prequels had more memorable moments than TFA.

The biggest issues, for me at least, are that TFA's plot was too similar to previous entries, and the aesthetic felt like a Star Wars game where it's just rehashing everything that happened previously. Like, yeah, that's what you want, but the numbered movies are kinda, sorta supposed to push the envelope forward somehow. TFA's legacy is going to be the T-saber and an EU-tier villain.
GotG is definitely my "what are you people talking about" movie. That thing is nothing outside of its casting and soundtrack. Even the jokes are lame.

It's all about Groot. He retroactively redeemed everything about it, for me.

That Link's Awakening DX SGDQ speedrun was some crazy shit. Fooling the game into thinking a bat with zero HP is the final boss? How the hell do people find this stuff?

That Link's Awakening DX SGDQ speedrun was some crazy shit. Fooling the game into thinking a bat with zero HP is the final boss? How the hell do people find this stuff?

Some of that starts off from the TAS community, by looking how values change and experimenting with methods of manipulating those via the game. The ones that are reasonable enough to execute by hand find their way into any% runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom