• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Whoever is in charge of the recent survey is good people!

BC0zn0p.png

Does anyone else hate when Brad says YUEGH instead of yea? He does it way more than he used to.

I hate the "letter of the law not spirit of the law" and the various derivatives of it he's been using lately more than anything else. I think he said it four times in various different content released last week. At least I've learned to not use the phrase in conversation. It can be difficult to understand Brad's intent when he uses it, I imagine it's the same the few times I've used it.

oti

Banned
Jeff went from "I'm thinking about switching to Android" to telling Jason "get an iPhone" lol. I've seen that quite a lot of times in people, they change their opinions rapidly when it comes to phones. It's just a stupid phone. Get whatever you want. Too bad phones and tablets have been super boring for a couple of years now. I can't share Brad's enthusiasm anymore. Some apps run smoother, but you end up using the same 5 apps anyway in the end.

Jeff spitting some hard truths about the PS pro

Jeff talking about the Pro as if everyone is down with building a PC. Which is a stupid premise to begin with. But the difference in price between a PS4 Pro and a PC kills his argument anyway. His opinion is skewed. Love listening to him but the market doesn't share his views.

ev0

So are they working from home on mondays? Did Jeff mention this in the bombcast or in the Jartime?

So this is supposed to result in more content? An extra Jeff stream? What else? It's confusing. Because now they dont go into work on Monday, Tues is now taken up by the podcast.

Start recoding quicklooks on Wed now? Do we expect Brad to start writing a column or something?

I hate the "letter of the law not spirit of the law" and the various derivatives of it he's been using lately more than anything else. I think he said it four times in various different content released last week. At least I've learned to not use the phrase in conversation. It can be difficult to understand Brad's intent when he uses it, I imagine it's the same the few times I've used it.

I LOVE that phrase. I used it in casual conversion yesterday in fact. I want to use it more often.

Jeff talking about the Pro as if everyone is down with building a PC. Which is a stupid premise to begin with. But the difference in price between a PS4 Pro and a PC kills his argument anyway. His opinion is skewed. Love listening to him but the market doesn't share his views.

But if you're dropping many K's on a TV, why not get a device that can actually play games at that resolution?

Curufinwe

That reminds me of when people use "nonplussed" in an apparent attempt to sound fancy, and it's impossible to discern the intended meaning from the context.

If you're unimpressed, just say unimpressed. Don't use a word of latin origin that actually means bewildered.

Mr. F

Banned
The survey is interesting timing considering the recent voicing of concern with premium value. Pretty exciting if they take the feedback to heart, I tried to be constructive in mine.

kiguel182

I complained about the lack of premium content vs free content but the site is obviously still a 10 for me.

It was weird to rate them lower on amount of content since subscribing to them is such a no brainer but well, it is what it is.

blakep267

So this is supposed to result in more content? An extra Jeff stream? What else? It's confusing. Because now they dont go into work on Monday, Tues is now taken up by the podcast.

Start recoding quicklooks on Wed now? Do we expect Brad to start writing a column or something?
Well they could as Brad did yesterday stream games more on twitch and YouTube, which is essentially a one man quick look of you will

oti

Banned
But if you're dropping many K's on a TV, why not get a device that can actually play games at that resolution?

Sure, he's not wrong. But how many people are willing to drop over 2k for a TV and a PC just like that? His argument is basically "if you really care about this stuff then you want the best thing ever and Sony isn't providing that for $400 so why even bother?".

I complained about the lack of premium content vs free content but the site is obviously still a 10 for me.

It was weird to rate them lower on amount of content since subscribing to them is such a no brainer but well, it is what it is.

See? That's what I meant a few days ago about GB and Premium stuff.

Tbh I am pretty bad about being objective when it comes to GB. I do thing it's not enough premium content and that they should do more. But it's the only outlet I would ever pay money for (which o do for 3 years now). It's part of video games for me.

hamchan

Jeff's argument for PC over the PS4 Pro comes from someone who considers video games a huge part of their life and is willing to spend a large amount of money on the hobby. I'm like that too. Most people aren't like that.

Curufinwe

All the usual reasons you can read a thousand times in a hundred GAF threads: Exclusives, ease of use, friends, up front price, etc. PC gaming just isn't as attractive an option to the average gamer as it is to a professional videogamesman like Jeff Gertsmann.

The DF guys were pretty impressed with how Pro games looked on good 4K TVs despite the games at the Meeting not running at native 4K.

All these free premium videos are the start of Giant Bomb's transition to being full on youtubers. Why else would they start working from home?

This is exactly why it stuns me that they picked SF and NY as the places to work, the two most expensive places to live in the US (yes I know they work at the CBS offices).

For the content they produce, they could literally do what they do from anywhere else in the country.

They've recorded quicklooks after the bombcast. I remember Dan recorded 2 QLs after recording the bombcast, then had an AMA on reddit.

I kind of followed Jeff's thinking that someone bought a PS4 at launch. But halfway through that console's life, the PS4 graphics can't match the PC, so people spend $300-$400 on a graphics card for the PC and will end up buying PC games instead of PS4 games.

Sony now has an option where people can spend $400 on a PS4 Pro and stick to buying PS4 games. However, Jeff's reasoning is that the upgrade to PS4 Pro just isn't worth it when you already have a PS4, since the graphical upgrades aren't worth the $400.

I'm thinking that if you can pull a Dan and can sell the original PS4 for $200-$250, it might be worth it. Also, just buying a graphics card might not help if you end up needing to buy a new motherboard/CPU and new monitor for freesync/gsync (I was in this boat last year). Shit ended up being much more expensive than what I thought was just buying a new graphics card.

Here's my "bold" prediction:

I think that GB is trying to hire multiple new people in the near future. I base this on the fact that I can't remember the last time a premium sale was mentioned so many times and haven't really seen them make past stuff free. I think they're trying to boost their numbers so they can go to Les Moonves and say "Look, we can afford multiple new hires."

I also say this because Vinny recently mentioned wanting to foster the "new generation" of GB. I just think the guys have some goals in mind and they need to sell more premium memberships to justify them.

edit: spelling

oti

Banned
They've recorded quicklooks after the bombcast. I remember Dan recorded 2 QLs after recording the bombcast, then had an AMA on reddit.

I kind of followed Jeff's thinking that someone bought a PS4 at launch. But halfway through that console's life, the PS4 graphics can't match the PC, so people spend $300-$400 on a graphics card for the PC and will end up buying PC games instead of PS4 games.

Sony now has an option where people can spend $400 on a PS4 Pro and stick to buying PS4 games. However, Jeff's reasoning is that the upgrade to PS4 Pro just isn't worth it when you already have a PS4, since the graphical upgrades aren't worth the $400.

I'm thinking that if you can pull a Dan and can sell the original PS4 for $200-$250, it might be worth it. Also, just buying a graphics card might not help if you end up needing to buy a new motherboard/CPU and new monitor for freesync/gsync (I was in this boat last year). Shit ended up being much more expensive than what I thought was just buying a new graphics card.

Of course there's logic to his argument. Heck, I built my first PC after the PS4 and Xbox One reveals being underwhelming. And the current PS4 hardware is already old and not every developer can pull off Uncharted 4. So it makes sense. It's a bummer that the hardware isn't THAT much better but it's "just" 400 and it comes out this November. This is what will make the Pro a success. I get Jeff's argument that this isn't enough for the max. enthusiast consumer out there but those guys are CGINO (console gamers in name only ... lol, I'm coining this right now) anyway.

Here's my "bold" prediction:

I think that GB is trying to hire multiple new people in the near future. I base this on the fact that I can't remember the last time a premium sale was mentioned so many times and haven't really seen them make past stuff free. I think they're trying to boos their numbers so they can go to Les Moonves and say "Look, we can afford multiple new hires."

I also say this because Vinny recently mentioned wanting to foster the "new generation" of GB. I just think the guys have some goals in mind and they need to sell more premium memberships to justify them.
They should get an extra video dude for east

There seems to be a regular assumption that all people need to do is buy a graphics card.

PCs are alien, ugly things that I have no space for and that even if I did would require a 3 week negotiation with my better half.

It would be years ago that I last owned a tower.

I don't care about being at the bleeding edge but a dedicated gaming console that runs games well is still totally the thing I want. Unfortunately the Pro seems a bit half baked and the PS4/Xbox One are underpowered. There's a middle ground between "cares about power" and "uses it for DVDs" that isn't being catered for that well right now.

The two companies seemed way too scared to put out something decent this gen for fear the console market was over.

GuyKazama

They have the equipment, experience, talent, access, and staff to produce long-form Danny-quality investigative videos. There's enough of them to continue to produce QLs as well.

Instead, they seem to be moving to their view of the typical youtuber, which is reacting to a video game in their living room with the lights off. That or random poorly-planned livestreams.

I think this is a dated view of youtubers -- Game Grumps, Game Sack, Gaming Historian, and many others created well-produced videos on a regular basis. It is also a waste of their resources. If nothing else, it would be nice to see them follow through on a feature for once at a regular pace. I'd subscribe again if I believed for a second they will complete SOTN in the calendar year.

Ashby

They have the equipment, experience, talent, access, and staff to produce long-form Danny-quality investigative videos. There's enough of them to continue to produce QLs as well.

Instead, they seem to be moving to their view of the typical youtuber, which is reacting to a video game in their living room with the lights off. That or random poorly-planned livestreams.

I think this is a dated view of youtubers -- Game Grumps, Game Sack, Gaming Historian, and many others created well-produced videos on a regular basis.
It is also a waste of their resources. If nothing else, it would be nice to see them follow through on a feature for once at a regular pace. I'd subscribe again if I believed for a second they will complete SOTN in the calendar year.

I've had similar thoughts but having it all laid out like this makes GB's situation seem down right dire (btw I met Norm of Gaming Historian just this past weekend and got a live preview of his next episode, great guy!)

There seems to be a regular assumption that all people need to do is buy a graphics card.

PCs are alien, ugly things that I have no space for and that even if I did would require a 3 week negotiation with my better half.

Yeah, from my personal experience it's more about convenience than price. I play PC games a majority of the time, but my wife, best friends, and my brother play on consoles. One of their main reasons is that they can literally hit 1 button and be playing the game. I know that Steam and automatic driver downloads make everything simple, but it's still more complicated than putting the disc in and it working, period. Also me and my friends play multiplayer games on consoles because we're getting older and we're too slow on M/KB to be competitive, but we can hold our own when everyone is using a controller. Plus being able to sit back on a couch is a MAJOR plus after a day of work/raising kids.

oti

Banned

I think this is a dated view of youtubers -- Game Grumps, Game Sack, Gaming Historian, and many others created well-produced videos on a regular basis. It is also a waste of their resources. If nothing else, it would be nice to see them follow through on a feature for once at a regular pace. I'd subscribe again if I believed for a second they will complete SOTN in the calendar year.

I have zero interest in investigative GB content. GB to me is entertainment. As far as investigative video game journalism goes (which isn't far at all, it's quite narrow since this is an entertainment media we're talking about) I don't see GB in that mold. Sure, landing a couple of scoops is terrific for their traffic and could lead to more subs but that's just a by-product of having terrific relations to developers and other sources.

Also don't forget that QL are older than your current genre of Let's Plays and YouTube gameplay videos. Being unprofessional has always been GB's shtick. It's just that nowadays unprofessional media pushes professional media out of the Zeitgeist. The landscape has drastically changed around them but GB has always been this way.

BearPawB

Banned
They have the equipment, experience, talent, access, and staff to produce long-form Danny-quality investigative videos.

I don't think any of them want to do long form Danny-quality investigative videos

Also how do i access the survey? i accidentally clicked past it earlier

It always tickled me that Jeff has never seen the Lord of the Rings films, but he still hates them. I can totally see how the "fandom" that surrounded the series would put people off, but they're touchstones of modern cinema! At least give it a try!

I've seen them and still hate them. sooo

Filled out the survey.

I totally get that it's unlikely that they'll ever have a set schedule like "Demo derby every second tuesday" or something, but I think it would make a lot of people happy if they could just commit to something semi-concrete like "1 demo derby, 1 game tapes, one TOGS/RoF, etc" per month. we're at a point where no premium content but UPF is a promise.

GuyKazama

I don't think any of them want to do long form Danny-quality investigative videos

The last time we got a well-edited video series that wasn't a skit was probably e3 2013. Compare that to their regular output, and it shows how far a little more effort can go.

pizzacat

Banned
It always tickled me that Jeff has never seen the Lord of the Rings films, but he still hates them. I can totally see how the "fandom" that surrounded the series would put people off, but they're touchstones of modern cinema! At least give it a try!
Because it's like 27 hours long and fantasy who wants that

Top Bottom