• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

pizzacat

Banned
Drew at his highest mean level in the Demo Derby.

"Establish that hair cut"

Most people, given the box office.
Let's talk about that box office classic grown ups 2 then

Shit I can say the hobbit series and those movies sucked each time I was dragged to it

So are they working from home on mondays? Did Jeff mention this in the bombcast or in the Jartime?

This is an elaborate ploy by Brad to play more Dota.

I complained about the lack of premium fnord vs free fnord but the site is obviously still a 10 for me.

It was weird to rate them lower on amount of fnord since subscribing to them is such a no brainer but well, it is what it is.

I've always said that the subscription wasn't to watch the premium output, but to pay for everything. /ragingidealist

Went to see if the podcast is up (I have class during live stream) and was greeted with a survey request. Decided to take it. Looks like they want feedback on the amount of Premium stuff they've been putting out, and what parts of the site they could improve to increase "value" in membership.

There's also this:
gnuVdC5.png

Edit: welp, I Myggen'd

BearPawB

Banned
I hope they are able to turn this data around pretty quickly.

But I think it was not a very well designed survey. Like who wouldn't want better production quality or more frequent content?

So they are going to get 1000s of surveys saying the same obvious thing "I want more content that is better"

The actual typed responses are going to be the most important part

Curufinwe

I don't really understand why exclusive games must release in the holiday season. Sorry Jeff, I disagree on that point.

Nobody bought Bloodborne in March or Uncharted in May. That's why Sony gave up on console gaming. If only they had someone with a good understanding of the market like Jeff to advise them.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
There is a new Snacktaku article on Kotaku. When does Jeff start the lawsuit machine? I'm sure the new Univision overlords are happy to bow down to legal pressure.

Curufinwe

Of course there's logic to his argument. Heck, I built my first PC after the PS4 and Xbox One reveals being underwhelming. And the current PS4 hardware is already old and not every developer can pull off Uncharted 4. So it makes sense. It's a bummer that the hardware isn't THAT much better but it's "just" 400 and it comes out this November. This is what will make the Pro a success. I get Jeff's argument that this isn't enough for the max. enthusiast consumer out there but those guys are CGINO (console gamers in name only ... lol, I'm coining this right now) anyway.

See-gee-eye-nos? I like it.

Nobody bought Bloodborne in March or Uncharted in May. That's why Sony gave up on console gaming. If only they had someone with a good understanding of the market like Jeff to advise them.

Jeff had a lot of really smart stuff to say, but when it came to the Sony stuff I was kinda baffled, felt like I was watching Colin :D

Heads up, all five Battlefield 4 map packs are free on PS4/XB1/PC (in addition to the three permanently free map packs). No need for a season pass (three years later)! I don't recall them doing this with Battlefield 3, so this is pretty cool.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Those cheeky bastards. Dropping that survey right during the ER.
Now I have to say they make at least 5-10 hours of free content each week.

"A lot of people's main goal in life is actually to visit the playboy mansion"

That will never fail to crack me up

Strax

Let's talk about that box office classic grown ups 2 then

Shit I can say the hobbit series and those movies sucked each time I was dragged to it

Well, those six movies are all in the top 40 of the highest grossing films of all time and have 37 Academy Awards nominations and 17 wins.

Clearly they are liked and respected.

Hopefully the survey helps them figure out what premium subscribers want.

I hope it's the same thing that I want!

After last night's discussion I had to be honest and say in one of the written boxes that I hope they treat the new hire applicants with a bit more respect. Just my two cents.

Fantastapotamus

For some reason I've been kinda worried about GB the last couple of days. You look at their Youtube page and their videos really don't get a lot of hits (I think Jeff once said they get about the same amount on the site? I might have dreamed that up though).

So it's a happy coincidence that somebody actually asked Jeff about it on Tumblr (and no, that was not me)
http://jeff.zone/post/150372779706/is-the-longer-premium-sale-and-the-lower-price

Danny I know you're reading this, you've reached your international documentary goal so it's time that you travel to Russia so that someone can finally figure out what the fuck was up with Cargo! The Quest for Gravity

No joke, a video about Ice Pick Lodge would be in-fucking-credible (or super boring). Those guys make the weirdest games. Knock knock, Cargo, that weird Artsy game and Pathologic. Super interesting dev as far as I'm concerned but pretty much under the radar of everybody. I'd love to see what those guys think and do all day.

I wish they let us elaborate on how their video player could/should be improved.

they want to be big on youtube

half of gb-gaf on suicide watch

The more on YouTube, the better (for me, at least). I really wish they could somehow use YouTube tech for premium streams that would still allow it to be locked behind a GB premium subscription and would not have a URL that could be share by unscrupulous characters (i.e. it wouldn't be an unlisted video). Flash would be completely gone on Giant Bomb.

Fantastapotamus

A sandwich is not a hamburger what the fuck is this question even

In regards to the survey, I'm bummed there wasn't just a catch-all "Any extra thoughts?" question at the end, as I had written out a big thing on the satisfaction question and scrapped it thinking there would be something at the end I could collect my thoughts on. Essentially, I personally don't give a shit about videos being premium or not. I absolutely want them to make more content, but it's a bummer they lock (what feels like from the inside) so much of it away behind the paywall.

I'm assuming I'm not the norm, but I pay the fee to Giantbomb to support them, not to have exclusive access to the videos. I mean, I don't even listen to the premium feed of the podcast, because the ads don't bother me, and ultimately I'm too lazy to change my feeds on my devices anyways. Maybe they could implement ads like the podcast on the longer video stuff like UPF's if it means non-subscribers get to watch? Obviously, other people would disagree, but if every piece of content they made was available to everyone starting tomorrow, then so be it. I'd still pay my membership.

Hell, I'm chipping in $5 to Danny every month now, and I'll probably never regularly access the perks given to me because of that, I just want more long-form video content from the guy.

That's great but a loooot of people wouldn't be as generous as you. The premium fees are what keeps them going, turning them into a voluntary donation would be a super risky move. Plus CBS probably wouldn't be too happy either which could lead to them getting way less budget.

KillerAJD

In regards to the survey, I'm bummed there wasn't just a catch-all "Any extra thoughts?" question at the end, as I had written out a big thing on the satisfaction question and scrapped it thinking there would be something at the end I could collect my thoughts on. Essentially, I personally don't give a shit about videos being premium or not. I absolutely want them to make more content, but it's a bummer they lock (what feels like from the inside) so much of it away behind the paywall.

I'm assuming I'm not the norm, but I pay the fee to Giantbomb to support them, not to have exclusive access to the videos. I mean, I don't even listen to the premium feed of the podcast, because the ads don't bother me, and ultimately I'm too lazy to change my feeds on my devices anyways. Maybe they could implement ads like the podcast on the longer video stuff like UPF's if it means non-subscribers get to watch? Obviously, other people would disagree, but if every piece of content they made was available to everyone starting tomorrow, then so be it. I'd still pay my membership.

Hell, I'm chipping in $5 to Danny every month now, and I'll probably never regularly access the perks given to me because of that, I just want more long-form video content from the guy.

That's great but a loooot of people wouldn't be as generous as you. The premium fees are what keeps them going, turning them into a voluntary donation would be a super risky move. Plus CBS probably wouldn't be too happy either which could lead to them getting way less budget.
Oh, for sure, just a bummer is all I guess, haha.

My main complaint is consistency. Just have a schedule for premium content that I can come to expect week after week. The live bombcast is a good start.

I'm all for random off the cuff streams, but content that I can expect to be there on a weekly, or even bimonthly basis, will go a long way to helping me to feel like I'm getting value on my subscription.

they want to be big on youtube

half of gb-gaf on suicide watch

Incoming..

Quick Looks renamed Lets Play
Random TV show recap videos
Daily video game news rap ups by conventionally attractive white women whos entire job is to create a 3 minute news video every day even if there is no news.
Video Reviews
Jaded Jeffs video corner where he is angry about stuff
Achievement guides
Brad starts marketing some DOTA gambling site he may or may not actually own.
Dan uploads videos that look like matches from RAW but once you click it, it will actually just be him giving a review of the match.

(there is totally more they could be doing with Youtube to branch out a little. Some videos do really well on there. Mario Party Party for example should be on there. People are just making 2 hour long "best of" videos for each one anyway and those videos get a lot of views)

My main complaint is consistency. Just have a schedule for premium content that I can come to expect week after week. The live bombcast is a good start.

I'm all for random off the cuff streams, but content that I can expect to be there on a weekly, or even bimonthly basis, will go a long way to helping me to feel like I'm getting value on my subscription.
I would agree with this a bit.
Having the ER go up every day is really nice, I know there's something there for me to watch when I go home and while I cook.
Likewise, it's always a bit disappointing when there isn't a Playdate on a Friday evening after work, it really works out better for me in Europe than UPF does.

KingKong

I can't believe I'm the only one that sees the obvious: Jeff is pissed off at Austin for leaving for his own site and is determined to crush him

mhanna49

Neo Member
Thoughts on GB from mobile: I want more consistency in premium video content or at least more communication about what is planned regarding video features. The video player needs to be improved and the site needs to be reorganized so past content is easily accessible. Jeff said something about wanting to be spontaneous or flexible regarding videos. I'd like to see them dump UPF one week and just do something spontaneous. Ban Brad from Dota 2 and old first person shooters on UPF and have him do a video feature with those games or something else he is passionate about. I liked the streams where Jeff would bring in some obscure console and play the old games. Oh yeah and what happened to the old games show? That was alright then it just kind of fizzled out.

Top Bottom