• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What about Devil Daggers, though?

(I actually have the #1 on the leaderboard on my friends list, so I get reminded from time to time)

Mr. F

Banned
I'm getting an itch to go back and finish the witness, seeing the Xbox launch thread. At this rate though I'd probably be better off starting over right?

Those damned starbursts and Tetris blocks is where I fell off the first time...

I'm getting an itch to go back and finish the witness, seeing the Xbox launch thread. At this rate though I'd probably be better off starting over right?

Those damned starbursts and Tetris blocks is where I fell off the first time...

Each mechanic is pretty self contained to its own section of the island, so you shouldn't need to start the whole game over, probably just start at the first puzzles of the sections you got stumped at.

But if you lost the mood, then starting fresh is a great way to get back in the mindset.

justjim89

Shenmue continues to vex me. This is the whole game right? This is what you do? You talk to every poorly-voiced NPC in the whole town to ask them about a thing until you finally get more information and then ask every poorly-voiced NPC about the new thing? It looks like a chore.

Shenmue continues to vex me. This is the whole game right? This is what you do? You talk to every poorly-voiced NPC in the whole town to ask them about a thing until you finally get more information and then ask every poorly-voiced NPC about the new thing? It looks like a chore.

Yep. like I said, there's a few minigames left, but this is what Shenmue is.

neshcom

Banned
Yeah, I kind of can't believe this is just a big, slow point-and-click.

I love Alex's subtle Mosnter Factory references. Top to tip, they really light up my day.

MGSV fucked MG Scanlon. Light really hard.

I loved that series, but man MGSV was boring to watch. I think I should do a rewatch of 3 and 4.

There is a German group called Rocket Beans TV and they have a format "Royal Beef", which is basically for persons playing games for points and the winner get's an expensive steak. I would like that format for Giant Bomb.

Edit: Here's the first episode, "Windjammers". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-uJ0rKraA

Curufinwe

I loved that series, but man MGSV was boring to watch. I think I should do a rewatch of 3 and 4.

There is a German group called Rocket Beans TV and they have a format "Royal Beef", which is basically for persons playing games for points and the winner get's an expensive steak. I would like that format for Giant Bomb.

Edit: Here's the first episode, "Windjammers". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-uJ0rKraA

My main memories of MGScanlon V are of the consistently poor advice Dan gave about the game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a solo stream. So is this a regular thing now?

They should've just gone to MGR immediately to get the stink out

tumblr_ldy3nbxMHV1qzdf0go1_500.gif

I wonder if GB and Rocket Beans ever met at E3 or something. They are kind of similar.

ev0

My main memories of MGScanlon V are of the consistently poor advice Dan gave about the game.

Heh this is the closest I ever have come to "playing it wrong" rage.

The other is Brad still not seeing that "Tresspass" shows up on the Hitman minimap. But at this point its just hilarious.

FStop7

Banned
Using the silenced riot SMG for the whole game triggered the shit out of me

At this point I assume they do this stuff intentionally because of some audience engagement metric they get tells them it works.

"NOPE DON'T SEE IT ON THE MAP" with the word "RUSSIYA" staring them in the face was a bridge too far. That or the guy screaming "THIS IS FOR THE TATTOO PARLOR" they fight and then still going to the arcade at 3.

Scizzy

I just felt bad for Drew because he could have had a more fun experience with better advice or no advice.

It just wasn't Drew's kind of game. Dan had bad advice, but if Drew wasn't so inclined to mainline the game he would have found some better options.

Meneses

Yeah, the writing was on the wall regarding MGSV and its lack of eventful / funny stuff to make for interesting content, but playing through the whole game with shitty weapons and then just getting caught and shooting everyone made it worse.

However, there were still a few good moments there, and also when they would start talking about non-game stuff it felt like another podcast at times.

Mr. F

Banned
Each mechanic is pretty self contained to its own section of the island, so you shouldn't need to start the whole game over, probably just start at the first puzzles of the sections you got stumped at.

But if you lost the mood, then starting fresh is a great way to get back in the mindset.

I think my issue was being halfway through a bunch of different areas haha. I would guess I was a bit over half done the game, but I wouldn't mind starting fresh - I love the atmosphere and just chilling in that world.

The thing that made MGS hard to keep up with was the fact that even they seemed bored past a certain point. Watching the bits that pop up through the GB Best Ofs was good enough for me, by the end.

I can't seem to get the stream to work for more than a few seconds on my phone. I usually have no problem with the live stuff, but today it just won't work. I'm blaming iOS 10.

Strax

MGS 1-3 were fun because you always got a great and fun cutscene every hour or so while MGS 4 was boring and was basically a movie and MGS 5 had too much gameplay and not enough story, at least not in the form of 1-3.

MGSV was the best Far Cry game and simultaneously made me not care about games of that style anymore. Loved my time with it, but I don't want to play it or any game of that style for many years.

Top Bottom