• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Patryn

I think if Sony would've just said "we let developers decide what to do with the power" it would've been a much better argument. Tomb Raider is straight up getting two new 1080p modes on the Pro.
You don't need 4K, HDR or even a new TV to enjoy that.

But isn't part of the point of the Pro to help their TV division?

Volotaire

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-throwback-deus-ex/2300-4676/

They mostly hang around the statue of liberty level.

I'd love to see someone from the office play more of it but it seems like Dave and Patrick are the only ones who spent a lot of time with it back in the day, so I suppose everyone would complain about them playing it wrong when they don't save Paul or something.

I loved this quicklook. More quicklook throwbacks please!

(I guess they are now replaced by UPF segments and playdates)

I think if Sony would've just said "we let developers decide what to do with the power" it would've been a much better argument. Tomb Raider is straight up getting two new 1080p modes on the Pro.

But Sony does exactly that. It's going to upscale to 4k on 4k TV's no matter what.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's definitely the reason to throw those two buzzwords around, but at the same time they don't have a UHD BD drive. So I guess it only goes so far.

But Sony does exactly that. It's going to upscale to 4k on 4k TV's no matter what.
Yeah, but I'm specifically not talking about 4K TVs. They have not mentioned at all what people with 1080p TVs get out of a Pro unless you did the digging yourself. Turns out you can get a lot out of it.
And those two Tomb Raider modes are not what's on 4K TVs, there's another mode for that.

I feel like the people who are avid gamers but don't "want to be bothered with the hassles PC" are a weird kind of lazy. I haven't run into a game this generation that didn't run fine on first launch out of Steam or GOG. With Big Picture it's practically like using a console anyway.

For some people maybe it is an economics thing, idk. If only Steam Machines hadn't fallen flat on their faces out of the gate.

Yeah, but I'm specifically not talking about 4K TVs. They have not mentioned at all what people with 1080p TVs get out of a Pro unless you did the digging yourself. Turns out you can get a lot out of it.
And those two Tomb Raider modes are not what's on 4K TVs, there's another mode for that.

I agree, their messaging around that could be way better. They had like a minute of talk for 1080p TV owners at their press conference.

To me, the smartest thing is to give the PS4 Pro to the technical review sites ASAP.

hamchan

Death is not likely. More that the lines between PC and console will blur. So console as you know it may "die" but in reality it just evolves with the demands of the market.

Pretty much. Microsoft is already treating the PC like their third, highest tier alternative for Xbox One games.

I don't think Sony would do that since they don't benefit from supporting PC as much as MS but by the next gen I could see PS Now expanded to start streaming current, new games, and PC users fall under that umbrella of people they want on that service.

Basically I expect PC to eventually get all the games.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I still don't believe it. The most succesful console this generation was the most classic-like of them all. Not too expensive, not too powerful, pretty much no gimmicks and we're at what now? 45 million sold?

PS4 was certainly the best argument for consoles staying the same in terms of online requirements. But for hardware and architecture it's not. The consoles of this gen have been built with parts that are closer to standard PC components. The ease of porting has become less of a burden on the programmers, particularly with Unity. These areas will keep pushing the console space toward a more-PC-like future, even if the system remains closed from a traditional PC ecosystem.

The PS4 Pro is the best argument for consoles becoming more like a PC. Incremental upgrades and giving the consumer choices in quality of display...

Having options that prioritize refresh rate or graphics has been a mostly PC feature. If this becomes the norm, that only pushes consoles further to a PC-like system. In, truth, this is a win for everyone and should become standard regardless of system.

Santar

Is it just me who thinks that the entire video pipeline at Giant Bomb is maybe unnecessarily overly produced?
I mean we have here a website the employs at least 7 people and they can't even stick to a schedule on basically anything except the bombcast and UPF?

Like having one guy man the camera during the bombcast recording just seems like a waste to me. I'd much more prefer to have a static shot where we see all the guys all the time. Makes it easier to see everybodys reactions too instead of just focusing on who's talking.

It just seems a little odd when you step back and look at it, that when you have so many people you can't produce more content at a regular interval.
It would be incredibly interesting to know what exactly is holding things up so much.

oti

Banned

Define "help". I'm sure Sony thinks 4K is the future and that eventually every TV will be 4K. 8K is ways off and content creation for 4K has just begun. As is, the PS4 Pro is already helping their TV division but it was more important to offer the console for the same price as the Non-Pro. That's the hook they're using.

I honestly don't feel like 4K Blu-rays are important or will ever be important in a meaningful way but if that changes Sony will be there to offer another Pro, or the PS5 or a standalone player. For now it's more important to expand the way they can make money with their strongest brand and see whether the market is ready for a mid-cycle hardware refresh.

The timing is awkward but the refresh is the right thing to do in order to keep Momentum going. For now.

Strax

No matter how impressive Shenmue was at the time there is no excuse for Ryo and the people in the city/town not knowing anything about the city/town

No matter how impressive Shenmue was at the time there is no excuse for Ryo and the people in the city/town not knowing anything about the city/town

But it kinda makes me excited for Shemue 3 on how he handles it in 2018 or when ever that comes out. We have a lot of blue prints for these kinda games now.

Is it just me who thinks that the entire video pipeline at Giant Bomb is maybe unnecessarily overly produced?
I mean we have here a website the employs at least 7 people and they can't even stick to a schedule on basically anything except the bombcast and UPF?

Like having one guy man the camera during the bombcast recording just seems like a waste to me. I'd much more prefer to have a static shot where we see all the guys all the time. Makes it easier to see everybodys reactions too instead of just focusing on who's talking.

It just seems a little odd when you step back and look at it, that when you have so many people you can't produce more content at a regular interval.
It would be incredibly interesting to know what exactly is holding things up so much.

Sometimes the only reason to keep watching UPF is to see what Jason or Drew do in the control room.

I don't know how else you would film the bombcast tbh. They are cutting in live ads and music.

Curufinwe

But it kinda makes me excited for Shemue 3 on how he handles it in 2018 or when ever that comes out. We have a lot of blue prints for these kinda games now.

This is my first real experience with Shenmue, and it makes me feel like 3 could be quite good even on a limited budget. There was a lot of shit aimed at the kickstarter, but I feel like it should be an easier experience to get right than a Mighty No. 9 that depends on the core gameplay being great.

2884402-cp_turingtest_ql.00_32_31_37.still001.jpg

Quick Look: The Turing Test
Are you human? A machine? Both?! Neitherrrrr?! Don't worry, you'll probably still enjoy this fun puzzle game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Shenmue is a weird one because the game has some interesting ideas, but since the localization is so laughably abysmal, it's easy to ignore those ideas.

The idea of a subtitled shenmue 1 and 2 is far more appealing to me, hope it happens.

I feel like the people who are avid gamers but don't "want to be bothered with the hassles PC" are a weird kind of lazy. I haven't run into a game this generation that didn't run fine on first launch out of Steam or GOG. With Big Picture it's practically like using a console anyway.

For some people maybe it is an economics thing, idk. If only Steam Machines hadn't fallen flat on their faces out of the gate.

I think it's more about the building, troubleshooting and maintenance of the PC that scares people off. Someone like my brother just wants to pop a game in, play it, and turn the console off when he's done. He doesn't want to mess with driver updates or changing settings, and if something were to go wrong on his computer he'd just find it super frustrating. If something goes wrong on a console he reboots it and if it continues he contacts Microsoft. When his console gets out of date he buys the new one. He doesn't have to research graphics cards or CPUs or any of that. He's a fairly avid gamer too.

FStop7

Banned
They've been uploading samples of the different premium shows to youtube during the sale - something they should have been doing from the launch of premium imo
(now hopefully this will lead to more videos for actual members...)

Check out all of these premium series you can wonder what happened to once you subscribe!

Strax

I think I'll stay out the ER thread. Any complained about the game is met with a brick wall of "Nope, you are wrong".

derFeef

I think I'll stay out the ER thread. Any complained about the game is met with a brick wall of "Nope, you are wrong".

Well that sounds about right for any OT on gaming side.
I gave up posting issues I have with DeusEx because the same poster came in every time saying I was playing the game wrong and I should think outside the box or something...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Jeff talking about the Pro as if everyone is down with building a PC. Which is a stupid premise to begin with. But the difference in price between a PS4 Pro and a PC kills his argument anyway. His opinion is skewed. Love listening to him but the market doesn't share his views.

Jeff also completely discounts the main reason I still stick with my PS4 and that is: The ecosystem with all my friends (which to be honest is a madness reason to exist when you think about it).

I have a monster PC but I can't play Battlefield or whatever with my friends on my PC so I have a PS4 and will swap that out to get a Pro via Gamestop to continue that line. The proposition of most of my friends upgrading PCs just won't happen.
I also have an Xbox One S for the same reason. Even though I have a PC not 3 meters away from the consoles hooked up the very same TV that can run most of the same games at typically twice the resolution and double the frame rate.

The way the Xbox ecosystem is now on PC as well is absolutely fantastic. Now, if only Xbox One hadn't been an unmitigated disaster at launch and most of my friends were still in Microsoft's camp this would no longer be an issue...

chekhonte

What's up with the premium podcasts? They've been averaging one every 1.5 months this entire year compared to 2 a month in the past. It's getting hard to justify having a premium membership.

Strax

What's up with the premium podcasts? They've been averaging one every 1.5 months this entire year compared to 2 a month in the past. It's getting hard to justify having a premium membership.

I was thinking about that during the survey.
Did they ask if we wanted "more premium podcasts" or "new premium podcasts"?
Because that kind of confused me.

chekhonte

Yeah, I guessed that new premium podcasts meant means a brand new podcast of it's type , for example if they made a nascar podcast or something and more podcasts just means the same podcasts just more regularly.

Jintor

i can't decide if i love nuclear throne or hate it. it's fun but going through the desert every fucking time just to get instant murdered on the ice world boss is really beginning to grate on me

demidar

i can't decide if i love nuclear throne or hate it. it's fun but going through the desert every fucking time just to get instant murdered on the ice world boss is really beginning to grate on me

There's only some similarities, but I greatly enjoyed Enter the Gungeon over Nuclear Throne. The crazy weapons, enemy variety and passive item effects ala Binding of Isaac agreed with me much more.

And yeah, the first 2 worlds of NT is so boring.

Jintor

i feel like i theoretically like roguelikes but every time i play them, unless they actually have a cheat/roguelite mechanic where you can eventually just kind of accumulate power over deaths (Rogue Legacy for instance), I don't actually get any real sense of satisfaction from them because it just feels so god damn random. I know some people really enjoy that because then the beating them is so much sweeter, but for me it seems to just sour me faster.

chekhonte

i feel like i theoretically like roguelikes but every time i play them, unless they actually have a cheat/roguelite mechanic where you can eventually just kind of accumulate power over deaths (Rogue Legacy for instance), I don't actually get any real sense of satisfaction from them because it just feels so god damn random. I know some people really enjoy that because then the beating them is so much sweeter, but for me it seems to just sour me faster.

I'm in the same boat. Hitting those hard plateaus over and over just gets too frustrating.

Where's the Quicklook of ReCore they did 2 days ago? Where's a Quicklook of Pacman? Where are Quicklooks of Dead Rising and Bioshock, assuming they even plan to cover those? None of these things are even on the Coming Soon schedule. Jeff saying they'd do a Quicklook of Pacman when they get their hands on a code for the console version is pretty lame. Just buy the game and Quicklook it - it's out!

If they're not even covering the obvious stuff, how can we hope for anything extra?

I haven't been following this thread so can anyone tell me how the newest Endurance Run is going over? I am still on the 5th episode and it just got boring to me. When Vinny finally said "This game sucks" that was kind of it for me. I will probably end up watching it all in the end, but as far as it being the only consistent content we're getting, that's not doing it for me.

ev0

Where's the Quicklook of ReCore they did 2 days ago? Where's a Quicklook of Pacman? Where are Quicklooks of Dead Rising and Bioshock, assuming they even plan to cover those? None of these things are even on the Coming Soon schedule. Jeff saying they'd do a Quicklook of Pacman when they get their hands on a code for the console version is pretty lame. Just buy the game and Quicklook it - it's out!

If they're not even covering the obvious stuff, how can we hope for anything extra?

They arent even going into the office on Mondays anymore (work from home?)
That'll surely solve your issues.

Regarding Premium Podcasts I agree. It doesn't help wrasslin is kinda crap now for those who liked the powerbombcast. The timing of the survey is interesting, filled it out to the best of my ability. While I do want more premium content for my money- I kind of just want more content? I feel like I'm just supporting the dudes because I want to- and I get what I get. However the value is lessening.

Strax

The premium podcasts have really dried up in 2016

Yeah, and the time since the last Powerbombcast has maybe been the most interesting time in WWE in years imo. Indie darlings are champions, women wrestling has never been better, New Day will either be broken up or become the longest running tag-team champions in the next 3 months, Cruiserweight Classic has been great and Cruiserweights are coming to RAW. Even Heath Slater is over.

Regarding Premium Podcasts I agree. It doesn't help wrasslin is kinda crap now for those who liked the powerbombcast.

WWE is much better now then it has been the entire time Powerbombcast has been around imo

I haven't been following this thread so can anyone tell me how the newest Endurance Run is going over? I am still on the 5th episode and it just got boring to me. When Vinny finally said "This game sucks" that was kind of it for me. I will probably end up watching it all in the end, but as far as it being the only consistent content we're getting, that's not doing it for me.

You really should keep watching, it's peak Vinny. Keep it in the background like a podcast.

Bowlie

Banned

dude, Jeff said they were planning on doing a Pacman QL/thinking of checking out Dead Rising and Bioshock yesterday, give them at least a few days to even record those things.

If QLs are your concern, they did 4 of those last week, and 5 the week before that. And that ReCore stream wasn't a Quick Look.

---

Many here thought the sixth episode of ER was great.

ev0

WWE is much better now then it has been the entire time Powerbombcast has been around imo

I'll agree to that. Lots of things changed. I guess it doesn't help Jeff has completely lost his passion for it. Dan and Alex will watch no matter what

Top Bottom