• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jintor

this episode of the ER is incredible, vinny just losing it at funky asshole, them momentarily thinking they got tossed out for failing the stealth system until tomorrow, this completely weird combini attendant, even them getting confused by the fact that someone was boiling a kettle on a space heater

Strax

San Fran is banning grills, while we can't even get most of the country to admit guns may lead to people being shot.

America, y'all.

What about grillz?

6-500x500.jpg

Salarians

FFXII HD is more appealing to me than most games coming out in the next six months 🤔

Edit:
Tomato Convenience Store has the best employees

Edit:
Ryo's diet is 100% capsule toys

Spaghetti

its actually incredible how bad the qte fights in Shenmue are
What's actually bad about them, in your opinion?

I'm only asking because they usually give you a second chance to get it right, have a clear marker about what you're supposed to press, only use the face buttons, and use sound cues for added measure.

Like, mechanically, that's pretty sound for a QTE from 1999. Some of the camera cuts and animations can get janky, though.

-----

EDIT: Yo what the fuck San Fran. Why are they banning grills?

Spaghetti

i mean all qte fights are bad so whatever
The thought process was to create more elaborate scenes that could be played easily, so it's successful in that respect.

There's nothing directly offensive about QTEs, it's just I guess we're way beyond saturation point and the shine has worn off the mechanic now. It's kind of playing it safe these days to include QTEs, really. Easy way to pull off set pieces too difficult to create using the existing game mechanics.

Jintor

Imho qtes divert your attention during scenes flagged to the player as non interactive to no substantial benefit. I appreciate they try to make the action more dynamic especially for 1999 but in my view the cost outweighs the benefit.

I don't mind say platinum qtes as part of game moves which only provide bonus scores if you mash, but their cutscene instant death ones for instance are obnoxious.

Spaghetti

Imho qtes divert your attention during scenes flagged to the player as non interactive to no substantial benefit. I appreciate they try to make the action more dynamic especially for 1999 but in my view the cost outweighs the benefit.

I don't mind say platinum qtes as part of game moves which only provide bonus scores if you mash, but their cutscene instant death ones for instance are obnoxious.
I don't think anybody's really solved the problem of playing elaborate sequences that deviate from what you can do in the core mechanics without including a QTE, yet.

Maybe the way forward is being more dynamic with the QTE sequences so you can flip in and out of regular gameplay depending on how well/poor you do.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my knowledge about SF is from Giant Bomb, but don't they have a huge drought? Maybe that's why they're banning the thing that might, you know, start fires.

Zebetite

Banned
So Vinny's gonna be visiting SF for a month in February and him and Jeff are gonna secretly record a full Persona 5 ER over a two week period, right? RIGHT?!

P5 is going to be way too long to pre-record an ER. They mentioned during the PAX panel that a game as relatively short as Shenmue was starting to cut into their time.

The best bet TBH is GBE doing a Metal Gear Scanlon format (couple episodes a week, longer videos) thing out of it, because Vinny and Alex are both clearly excited for the game and Vinny has no chance of playing it at home. It'd be a learning experience for Dan, too! But I'd still say it's a super slim chance. More likely than not is a QL, maybe a play date, and some talk on the podcasts. There's so much expectation surrounding the game amidst the GB fandom that it'd seem too easy to give us what we want (while also not being easy at all because it'd be a huge time sink).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my knowledge about SF is from Giant Bomb, but don't they have a huge drought? Maybe that's why they're banning the thing that might, you know, start fires.

The entire state of California has a drought. Banning grills will not affect the number of fires in a completely urban city. My guess is that some fool on the city council thinks this will help stop global warming. San Francisco loves to be the "leader" in climate matters.

Meneses

Man, i'm super hyped for Persona 5 but having just finished re-watching the P4 ER (which is definitely top-tier content), I don't think a Persona 5 ER would be as interesting.

A lot has changed since then (including the duders themselves) and I think this one would be more about "that looks super cool" and less about "wtf is going on! What is this game?! Yeahh let's get it oooooon".

It would be a different tone and probably less entertaining.

It's not really a surprise but The Last Guardian is looking pretty rough.

I hope it has enough about it to get through the 2008 textures and 2003 controls.

Also not sure how much it costs GB to do Pax East & West but I'd be down with them skipping both and going to TGS next year.

Top Bottom