• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jintor

well maybe if the game added a time pressure to the it instead of giving you significant amounts of time to dawdle before the next thing happens

at some point i realised all i was doing was driving from point a to point b and killing things and not feeling challenged in any way, and even when i did die it was not significant because i'd just reset the last mission

also i didn't give a shit about any of the characters and the MC instead of being a smarky wiseass like frank or a stoic badass like chuck was just some dumb kid whose default reaction to everything was "WOAH WOAH WOAH CHILL OUT"

I really loved DR3. All 3 are fantastic games and I played 2+3 on co-op mode. I can't imagine playing a DR game without co-op now. Having 4 player co-op for DR4 is going to be a ton of fun.

also i didn't give a shit about any of the characters and the MC instead of being a smarky wiseass like frank or a stoic badass like chuck was just some dumb kid whose default reaction to everything was "WOAH WOAH WOAH CHILL OUT"

Probably talked about this before, but replaying the original has gotten me even more bummed about Frank's portrayal in Off the Record. Dude went from a well-meaning if cocksure and naive everyman to a stereotypical action movie protagonist, sunglasses and one-liners included. That'd be fine if it was done through character development, but it just felt more like the people behind DR2 have no idea why people like Frank West (see also: how the DR4 version of him is unrecognizable).

At some point I feel like dead rising is trying waaaaaaay too hard to be silly.

It's the Saints Row thing. Somewhere down the line the devs got in on the joke, which led to the comedy being forced instead of occurring naturally.

jgminto

3 doesn't feel like a Dead Rising game, the original Dead Rising had a great design approach similar to an arcade or older console game where the gameplay loop is built around consistantly completing and improving but on a much more ambitious scale than those games. 3 is an open world game full of inconvenient road blocks, it's no longer about that improvement loop but instead the focus is strapping a thing to another thing and making something you'd use in a Saint's Row game to blow stuff up.

I always find it weird they talk about restarting the Dead Rising games as being such a big component of them.

I know it's possible to do that and has its benefits, but I've played every Dead Rising game straight through from start to finish with one character. It's not too hard to manage your time and do it that way.

Not saying I'm a pr0 gam3r it's just interesting to me that the GB guys never really see that as an option.

derFeef

I always find it weird they talk about restarting the Dead Rising games as being such a big component of them.

I know it's possible to do that and has its benefits, but I've played every Dead Rising game straight through from start to finish with one character. It's not too hard to manage your time and do it that way.

Not saying I'm a pr0 gam3r it's just interesting to me that the GB guys never really see that as an option.
If they are like me, then goofing around and trying stuff out takes too much time and then it's just an option to restart if you want to finish it "the right way".

2884396-vf_shenmue_er_10.jpg
Endurance Run: Shenmue - Part 10
We make some new friends as we head off on our plan to get beaten up to avenge our dad.

derFeef

I watched that Yakuza 6 video. When and how can I paly this? Ridiculous. Also it looks like Shenmue... the guys should play that.

Meguro

Banned
"It would be great if you had an actual compass".

Is this a blindfolded speedrun?

I'm not one to say they are playing Shenmue wrong or anything but COME ON.
It's right there. I haven't touched Shenmue in my life and I immediately noticed it.

Xater

They are also doing that. They ported the first game and they are doing a sequel that is also hitting consoles.

Ok. Still don't know how the original will be received on consoles. I am curious to see it though.

I watched that Yakuza 6 video. When and how can I paly this? Ridiculous. Also it looks like Shenmue... the guys should play that.

It's better than Shenmue because you can just ignore all the tedious bullshit. Also you get to fight all the time.

I'm not one to say they are playing Shenmue wrong or anything but COME ON.
It's right there. I haven't touched Shenmue in my life and I immediately noticed it.

People getting angry about whole ten seconds between Alex wishing they had a compass and Dan pointing out they have one. Classic GB.

Meguro

Banned
Yeah, sorry. I was stop and go watching the episode. My mistake.

I think I would like Shenmue more if they actually made an effort to make the characters you talk to....actual characters?
All they are to me is a collection of bad and funny accents.

Salarians

Yeah, sorry. I was stop and go watching the episode. My mistake.

I think I would like Shenmue more if they actually made an effort to make the characters you talk to....actual characters?
All they are to me is a collection of bad and funny accents.
I think this is why (at least partially) Vinny doesn't seem to be enjoying the game. Even Ryo is basically a nothing person.

It's amazing that we're on Disc 2 and there's still, like, no narrative. We haven't really learned anything of value about anyone. Even the core mystery has barely developed.

I guess this is what happens when you want a story that lasts 18 games or whatever the fuck.

Xater

It's amazing that we're on Disc 2 and there's still, like, no narrative. We haven't really learned anything of value about anyone. Even the core mystery has barely developed.

I guess this is what happens when you want a story that lasts 18 games or whatever the fuck.

I remember a lot more happening in the sequel.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I need to have a day where I just binge on Shenmue ER. I can't even keep up with QLs. I've given up on watching the podcast videos. Not enough time in the week for all this.

Meneses

You've learned that there is another mirror, and they seem to be important items - enough so that Ryo's father was killed for it.

You found out that there's a chinese organization occupying the old warehouse district and their leader has a debt towards Ryo's father and another person - related to the mysterious mirror.

I'd say it's developing, though their planned episodic structure does make those developments slower than we're used to.

Of course,
it will have to be put on hold while Ryo works to save up money for his capsules trip

LiK

I need to have a day where I just binge on Shenmue ER. I can't even keep up with QLs. I've given up on watching the podcast videos. Not enough time in the week for all this.

i don't even watch QLs as much anymore. i dunno why but most don't have that excitement like they used to.

i don't even watch QLs as much anymore. i dunno why but most don't have that excitement like they used to.

There are still some gems, but they're just a bit safe these days.

QLs used to feel fresh from the old type of games coverage, but ironically now they feel like a leftover from those days.

Spaghetti

Characters are definitely lacking in the original Shenmue. I've seen it written a lot that Yokosuka is really the "main character" above all else, and I wouldn't disagree. More effort went into creating a sense of place than the core cast.

II has a more robust and developed characters by a country mile.

LiK

There are still some gems, but they're just a bit safe these days.

QLs used to feel fresh from the old type of games coverage, but ironically now they feel like a leftover from those days.

the last one that really made me laugh was this year's Madden. that was a riot.

derFeef

For me, it has something to do with game releases and previews and such. You get too much infos and sometimes even the games before a QL comes out. Plus they play it pretty straight most of the times.

Meneses

And it took 10 hours to get there without any interesting characters or side stories in between.

Well,
if you're gonna take half that time running around getting lost and not paying attention, yeah it will take too long to get there. :p

And yeah, this game doesn't really have side quests like most modern games, but to be fair the very first side quest-thing they had (the old lady looking for a house) was set aside.

The concept for side activities in Shenmue is more geared towards the daily life and establishing that world as a real thing. I don't remember if there's actually any side quests that aren't connected to the plot.

Spaghetti

Well,
if you're gonna take half that time running around getting lost and not paying attention, yeah it will take too long to get there. :p

And yeah, this game doesn't really have side quests like most modern games, but to be fair the very first side quest-thing they had (the old lady looking for a house) was set aside.

The concept for side activities in Shenmue is more geared towards the daily life and establishing that world as a real thing. I don't remember if there's actually any side quests that aren't connected to the plot.
There are a couple, but they're mostly related to developing the relationship with Nozomi.

Most of the side contents aren't fully fledged sidequests, but events players may/may not trigger depending on how they go about the game. There are sub-plots going on, but aren't recorded in the journal so I guess the onus is on the player to remember and connect the threads to lend context to the world.

Case in point, Tom
announcing he has to go back to America near the end, because through the whole game he's been dropping hints he's going broke. Actually, he says it directly at one point when doing the sailor hunt. It also gives context why he moves to the harbour during the day for Disk 2/3, because he's selling nothing on Dobuita Street.

Kind of fucked up the game shows you the ending of that subplot without the context if you missed it, but it's still pretty cool when you've connected the dots through earlier conversations and his sudden appearance in the harbour.

I still watch all that they put out whenever I'm free. However, I've missed the last 3-4 video podcasts because I was busy so, had to listen to them instead in my free time. My favorite thing about QLs is getting an extended indepth impression/thoughts on whoever reviewed or played most of said game. You can't talk about one game for an hour during a podcast so QLs is where it's at for this thing.

Top Bottom