• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

ArjanN

Been slowly working my way back through the Deadly Premonition ER. Now there is another deeply flawed game. That still has way more redeeming and interesting elements to it than Shenmue.

Suppose that's not really a fair comparison given that it came a decade later though.

Eh, at least in Shenmue's case it was pioneering a lot of this stuff, while Deadly Premonition is at least as clunky and came out a decade later.

FStop7

Banned
Jeff's hot take on Persona 5:

"It's out next year. I'll play it then, maybe, I dunno."

I kind of feel bad for them given that they're going to be absolutely bombarded with Persona 5 comments/questions/demands for the next couple of years regardless of what they decide to do.

FStop7

Banned
To be fair I'm pretty sure neither of those two are actually his family.

They're not blood relatives but they're surrogates, they might as well be his grandmother and brother.

Ryo is kind of a dickhead. He's sort of called out on it a bit more in Shenmue II. Not openly, but his hubris and assumptions are challenged.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
As someone whose three best friends live in SF, I can state that I consider the Bay Area an awesome place in every respect except one. It has some of the best food in the world, acres of beautiful parks and beaches, convenient to use public transportation, easy access to wine country/national parks, an active sports culture, great weather, fantastic museums, exceptional local beers, a wide selection of music/cultural events, and an active but not insane night life. I visit often and love it every time. That said, the price of housing is a moral and practical nightmare, pushing thousands into homelessness, creating a public mental health crisis, making the city increasingly inaccessible to members of the middle class, and transforming much of it into a playground for the elite at the expense of longtime residents. But there are a ton of great things about the city that simply have no appeal to Jeff/Dan and it's one of the greatest places in the world if , you know, you ignore the massive inequality at the heart of the city.

Incidentally, I was shocked a few weeks ago when Dan said on the Bombcast he'd only been to Oakland a couple times. It's a cool city that he'd probably prefer to SF.
Cross-reference that list with the interests of the crew and and you know exactly who does and doesn't like San Francisco. It fits really well.

dan2026

Its hard to watch GB play games sometimes.

You'd think that years of playing would of conditioned them better.
And yet Vinny can stare straight at a staircase or item and not see it.

Its sort of frustrating.

Salarians

10467866_1454646968195440_1491527934_n.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
I kind of feel bad for them given that they're going to be absolutely bombarded with Persona 5 comments/questions/demands for the next couple of years regardless of what they decide to do.
Oh man, how terrible. People who loved your content so much are asking you if more might be coming. How awful.

Guys any Persona 5 content with Jeff is just going to be a repeat of the Persona 3 Portable Quick Look, where everyone gets hyped up for how amazing it will be and then it's a huge bummer as Jeff spends the entire time going "This isn't Persona 4, I don't like Persona, just Persona 4" in response to every little thing.

FluxWaveZ

Guys any Persona 5 content with Jeff is just going to be a repeat of the Persona 3 Portable Quick Look, where everyone gets hyped up for how amazing it will be and then it's a huge bummer as Jeff spends the entire time going "This isn't Persona 4, I don't like Persona, just Persona 4" in response to every little thing.

Jeff and Vinny's reaction to Persona 5's opening would/will be really great, though.

Out of all the things in the Shenmue ER, the part where Ryo looks at a bank statement and his money counter shoots up as he groans that he still doesn't have enough money for a plane ticket, and three grown adults shouted in confusion as what just happened and why did his money change and whether it went up or down and what the paper thing he was looking at was, is the part that had me in disbelief.

I got to that part.

How Ryos eyes widen(As if surprised) and says 'whelp there goes hong kong' and his money quadruples

I too was confued. I had to watch that part twice.

I swear to God if I get spoiled on Persona 5 before February...

Putting the release dates this far apart sucks.

Or The Last of Us.

I still haven't been spoiled on The Last Of Us, but MAN is that game awful to play. I'm really considering just reading the spoilers and giving up on it. The last time I think I was spoiled on a game significantly without me knowing that spoilers were coming was probably Killer 7. When I beat it, the twist seemed super obvious, but I'll never really know because I knew it beforehand.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jeff talking about how over he is of stuff like killzone and god of war because of how old it felt and then saying he's dying to play gears

bruh

FStop7

Banned
I still haven't been spoiled on The Last Of Us, but MAN is that game awful to play. I'm really considering just reading the spoilers and giving up on it. The last time I think I was spoiled on a game significantly without me knowing that spoilers were coming was probably Killer 7. When I beat it, the twist seemed super obvious, but I'll never really know because I knew it beforehand.

I enjoy watching Naughty Dog games. I felt fully entertained by the stories of TLoU and Uncharted 4 when I watched them played through on Twitch, but I never finished either of them for myself.

jeff talking about how over he is of stuff like killzone and god of war because of how old it felt and then saying he's dying to play gears

bruh

Dat Gears 3 horde mode. I don't even care about the campaign or the PvP. Just give me more of that sweet horde mode.

Top Bottom