• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Chuck

Still without luck
The only complaint I have with him is his super obvious hatred of anything Apple and desire to bring it up whenever he can. It's annoying.
But that's all made great when his android shit breaks during things like jackbox.

Deeku

i like 2d platformers mostly for 2d art and just that aesthetically flat perspective in general. kinda indifferent about the associated mechanics, but definitely still like a good metroidvania

2.5d platformers can fuck off tho!

repeater

The only complaint I have with him is his super obvious hatred of anything Apple and desire to bring it up whenever he can. It's annoying.
I mean, it could be annoying but by now it's become such a thing that it's usually just incredibly funny when it happens.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I liked the AI discussion in the Alone with You QL cause I just had a similar discussion with a friend.
I remember watching Interstellar and kept thinking "Alright, when is this robot going to kill everybody...any minute now......."

pizzacat

Banned
I liked the AI discussion in the Alone with You QL cause I just had a similar discussion with a friend.
I remember watching Interstellar and kept thinking "Alright, when is this robot going to kill everybody...any minute now......."
I haven't laughed as hard as I did when the robot went in walk mode during the ocean planet in a theater in a long time

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Those robots were so weird. At which point in the future will this ironing board design trump everything else?

Tagyhag

And Undertale got knocked off best music.

Last year was full of mistakes.

I feel like that was more of Austin and Vinny just not fighting enough for it.

Like for example, Jeff's argument against it was "I'm tired of 8bit music" and Undertale has tons of music that's not 8bit but they failed to mention a single one.

I might be late to the party, but why did they rename Panamanian to League of Heels? Are they trying to divorce the show from PAX? Maybe PAX pressured them so they wouldn't be associated? Sorry, I have pretty much stopped following Paxamania for the last year...

Meguro

Banned
Next time I'll buy more sub time I'll time it so it exactly runs out when PAX begins and then resub when it ends.

Meguro

Banned
Really though, it's kinda funny that we're lamenting the fact that a big gaming event is going on and the duders are going there.

There used to be a time where them going to events led to fun content but alas.

oti

Banned
Really though, it's kinda funny that we're lamenting the fact that a big gaming event is going on and the duders are going there.

There used to be a time where them going to events led to fun content but alas.

I get why they're doing it, it makes sense for them to be doing it, but it prevents them from doing what I want and pay them to do. Create content.

Especially for me as a European PAX is just awful all around.

Xater

I get why they're doing it, it makes sense for them to be doing it, but it prevents them from doing what I want and pay them to do. Create content.

Especially for me as a European PAX is just awful all around.

And on top of that they go to multiple ones of these.

Megasoum

Banned
For me PAX can be summed up as my whole twitter feed yelling "LOOK HOW MUCH I'M HAVING SOOOOO MUCH FUN AT THIS PARTY WHERE YOU'RE NOT AT" for a week.

A bit like when you're the only person that doesn't drink at a party.

The panels go from "fucking terrible" to "ok" at best. Then we don't have content on the site for a couple of days leading up to the event and a couple of days the next week where the whole staff is sick and tired.

oti

Banned
For me PAX can be summed up as my whole twitter feed yelling "LOOK HOW MUCH I'M HAVING SOOOOO MUCH FUN AT THIS PARTY WHERE YOU'RE NOT AT" for a week.

A bit like when you're the only person that doesn't drink at a party.

The panels go from "fucking terrible" to "ok" at best. Then we don't have content on the site for a couple of days leading up to the event and a couple of days the next week where the whole staff is sick and tired.

At least the holiday season is upon us with plenty of games and potentially two live streams with the PSVR and PS4 Neo launch.

Dineren

Banned
I'm not a fan of PAX, but they clearly enjoy it so I'm not going to get upset about it. Of course it helps that I just started the P4 endurance run.

I wonder if after the Sony press conference next week they'll have Alex call in to the post-show. He's going to it, I think. It would suck for Alex if he gets the PAX Plague and then needs to go to the conference.

oti

Banned
What is the value of going to PAX outside of having fun? Is it good for advertising or something?

Advertising and subscriber retention. I'm sure some members even feel entitled to visit a panel for paying their fee. It makes sense to strengthen this bond between the viewer and the content provider but A) nowadays EVERYONE does that and B) Giant Bomb feels like it's gradually moving away from their paid business model (to me anyway).

Anjin M

What is the value of going to PAX outside of having fun? Is it good for advertising or something?

They like interacting with their fans. It's like the unfulfilled idea of the road show from the early days. They are locked up in the office talking into cameras every day. It must be nice to get out and meet the people that are actually watching. I would go to one of these myself if I could afford it.

Advertising and subscriber retention. I'm sure some members even feel entitled to visit a panel for paying their fee. It makes sense to strengthen this bond between the viewer and the content provider but A) nowadays EVERYONE does that and B) Giant Bomb feels like it's gradually moving away from their paid business model (to me anyway).

Wat?

oti

Banned

Their biggest streams are free. Most of their content is free. They don't have a set schedule for premium content. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there but to me most of their effort goes into gaining more free (YouTube) subscribers. Which makes sense. I'm not criticizing them for that.

Gjerven

Their biggest streams are free. Most of their content is free. They don't have a set schedule for premium content. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there but to me most of their effort goes into gaining more free (YouTube) subscribers. Which makes sense. I'm not criticizing them for that.

You should listen to the latest mixlr. Starts about 10:25. Talks a little about youtube, premium, future...

Strax

They are biggest because they are free. Demo Derby and Game Tapes would be huuuuge on Youtube.

Has anyone been watching that Pokemon let's play that Griffin McElroy's been doing? I've been enjoying it way more than I would have thought as someone who doesn't generally like solo videos.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They are biggest because they are free. Demo Derby and Game Tapes would be huuuuge on Youtube.

Do they release like one or two of those as teasers on YouTube like "subscribe to get more of this"? I supported my first Patreon because a duo I liked posted videos from a series I wanted to see more of

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I always thought they should make them availably for everyone at a later point in time. Would be great advertisement to go premium

Lunar FC

That's why I always thought they should make them availably for everyone at a later point in time. Would be great advertisement to go premium

I might as well just drop my sub at that point. That's the only good premium content going rn.

Do they release like one or two of those as teasers on YouTube like "subscribe to get more of this"? I supported my first Patreon because a duo I liked posted videos from a series I wanted to see more of

I know the first MGScanlon episode was free...idk if the first Game tapes/Demo derby were free?

justjim89

I'm not sure that google name searches is what Max Tamkin is looking for the most.

Probably the kind of thing he should've thought of before raping a lady. Or passive-aggressively threatening to sue the lady who accused him of rape.

What a scumbag.

Youtubers really are awful, awful people.

Patrick's not that bad ;p

But seriously, I assume you mean people who are only known as YouTubers, not people like Patrick or the Kinda Funny guys who were already well known prior to their channels being started.

Top Bottom