• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

justjim89

Poor Patrick

anyway, plenty of good Youtubers exist. You just need to watch the good ones.

This. Gopher, Super Bunnyhop, Errant Signal, and Noah Gervais all offer more substantial, nuanced and detailed criticism of games than anyone at GB has really ever done.

Fobwashed

For me PAX can be summed up as my whole twitter feed yelling "LOOK HOW MUCH I'M HAVING SOOOOO MUCH FUN AT THIS PARTY WHERE YOU'RE NOT AT" for a week.

A bit like when you're the only person that doesn't drink at a party.

The panels go from "fucking terrible" to "ok" at best. Then we don't have content on the site for a couple of days leading up to the event and a couple of days the next week where the whole staff is sick and tired.

The main draw of PAX for me is it's a great way to meet your online friends in person and hang out. Then the panels. The games are just a nice backdrop =P

Poor Patrick

anyway, plenty of good Youtubers exist. You just need to watch the good ones.

I actually found a neat channel the other day. And I actually like their gimmick, as I'm always looking for the type of video game videos they happen to produce. Basically, all they do are commentary-free let's plays, that lets the games speak for themselves. Sometimes I just want to see what a game is without the player talking over it. I liked the name too, as it represents the lack of voice over. It's called ShhNowI'mPlaying. I watched a playlist of theirs where they built a city in Cities: Skylines.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The main draw of PAX for me is it's a great way to meet your online friends in person and hang out. Then the panels. The games are just a nice backdrop =P
Now he feels even more like he's missing a party, good job.

For real, though. Actually going to PAX looks like fun, I never doubted that.

justjim89

I mean, don't they also put out maybe one video each week at most?

That's a fair point. I suppose Gopher is more of an outlier since he does mostly Let's Play's and mod tutorials, but the other three I mentioned typically hit all the big games or interesting discussions around them.

Meguro

Banned
I will say that Austins Battlefield: Hardline Review is perhaps the most interesting videogame review I have ever read though he obviously wrote that before his time at GB.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope they do another stream where they rate games from the Giant Bomb game jam that just ended. That was such a great one the first time with three professionals in thee jusry. Shame they didn't do it again for the last one.

I like quite a few YouTube gaming channels. Run Button ( friends of Austin), chip and ironicus, geek remix and voidburger.

YouTube can be good, just gotta get through the trash.

When Youtubers are simply entertainers and doing Let's Plays etc I'm fine with them but when they start with actual reviews or news I find it harder to trust them. There's too much advertised content going around and before it became standard to actual mark their videos, a few too many couldn't understand the uproar when people found out they were being paid to advertise a game. Jesse Cox was one I stopped watching when he became really obnoxious to his viewers who called him out on it.

Nerokis

Dan killed Ori, I'm sure he will be happy to slit this game's cute little throat as well.

lmao

I don't remember this, so I guess I didn't listen to all the GOTY stuff last year. As much as I love Brad, hearing him squirm as he realized what Dan had done was too good. "You can't actually do that," he says, even when he knew it had already been done. What a twist, especially with Brad's reputation for strong arming to get what he wants.

Sakwoff

There is only one No Man's Sky rant on Youtube that is worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

(Hbomb is generally fantastic. Nobody's better at making fun of right-wing fuckboys.)

Generally that's the thing with Youtube... steer clear of the big stuff. That's mostly depressing lowest common denominator shit. There are some really good people doing fantastic work though.

Yeah, I love Hbomb and that video, but going of the thread of it yesterday, it's not the best one to start people on. The whole thread was people taking it at face value

oti

Banned

(Hbomb is generally fantastic. Nobody's better at making fun of right-wing fuckboys.)

Generally that's the thing with Youtube... steer clear of the big stuff. That's mostly depressing lowest common denominator shit. There are some really good people doing fantastic work though.

86790-what-the-fuck-is-that-gif-Imgu-Cn5F.gif

LiK

Oh man, just watched the E3 Lost Footage and it was fantastic. The surprise
Jeff Green
at the end was great.

oti

Banned
My favourite GOTY moment was Austin calling out Brad on his WAR ON CUTE GRAFIX.

*link to a shitty YouTube video with some shitty angry YouTube personality being angry about video games RANT*

Rainmaker

Banned
Hey, I know not many of you will be watching but can someone give me the time for the GB PAX panel? I'm on mobile and can't see the schedule.

No_Style

I would like a Quick Look or some shenanigans to rewatch during this drought. Bonus points for Sausalito GB videos.

oti

Banned
Listening to the Fallout 4 fight from GOTY last year and man. Its real disappointing to hear Brad and Austin defend that mess of a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1SZgRL1n4o

I mean shit. Even Bethesda admit Fallout 4 was a bit of a misstep now.

Definitely. That's the kind of esoteric "but we know about game development you guys you're wrong" that I didn't expect out of GB. At least Jeff was keeping it real throughout. And he was right, again.

Definitely. That's the kind of esoteric "but we know about game development you guys you're wrong" that I didn't expect out of GB. At least Jeff was keeping it real throughout. And he was right, again.

Its when Brad goes "well they would have to start taking steps back with their open world systems if they want less bugs" comment that got me.

Because Fallout 4 was already a GIANT step back in terms of open world-ness from Skyrim and Fallout 3 / New Vegas. The world was noticeably smaller. You had less quests. The quests themselves more limited limited in design and had fewer options with hour you handled them. The speech system was gutted.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Making some annoying on purpose still makes it annoying.

It's like when games try to be funny "Now it's time to kill 100 chickens eh? Cause games do that? And it's super annoying, we know that lol.....but seriously, kill 100 chickens now. It's ironic though!"

Top Bottom