• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

repeater

One of the scariest things about human psychology is how easy we get accustomed to and accept injustice and evil.

Jeff is using "drive-atar" without a hint of mockery in this Forza QL :(

More people are using the Vive than I thought. There are 300,000 owners of The Lab on Steam Spy.

That's pretty good for what essentially is experimental hardware.

Man I really don't know about Watch Dogs 2 - they appear to have solved the 'dull repetitive city' issue, but I'm not feeling the switch from 'dull, completely soulless protag/story' to 'lame internet humour protag/story'. I'll probably enjoy the open world aspect then hit yet another cringe cut scene and be 'nope'.

I just don't trust Ubisoft to put up anything even approaching a consistent and well thought out narrative.

More people are using the Vive than I thought. There are 300,000 owners of The Lab on Steam Spy.

The Lab is free and you don't need to own a Vive to install it, which marks it as "owned". The player count (170k) is more accurate since it's likely everyone who owns a headset will try it, but you can also play it on an Oculus Rift. And of course you can loan a headset etc.

From what I understant Tilt Brush has been bundled with all Vives since release and it has 130k owners.

oti

Banned
Man I really don't know about Watch Dogs 2 - they appear to have solved the 'dull repetitive city' issue, but I'm not feeling the switch from 'dull, completely soulless protag/story' to 'lame internet humour protag/story'. I'll probably enjoy the open world aspect then hit yet another cringe cut scene and be 'nope'.

I just don't trust Ubisoft to put up anything even approaching a consistent and well thought out narrative.

I like where this is going. The whole HAXXOR setup is dumb and they embrace it.

Xater

I like where this is going. The whole HAXXOR setup is dumb and they embrace it.

I'm still not super into their new approach, but it's certainly better than whatever they did in the first one. Still gonna wait for reviews to see if the hacking stuff is actually meaningful this time around as well. I just want to hack and stealth my way around and preferably use almost no guns at all.

repeater

Yeah, Denmark is no dong country! Norway is, come on Dan, don't you know you geography or your anatomy!
The shame might partially be mine here, I think I might have misquoted Dan and replaced Norway with Denmark. (Maybe?) Let the record show that at least Dan wasn't wrong about the geography.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

That might be an outlier, every other VR exclusive game I looked up had miserable sales/owner numbers

eot

Banned

The cutscene they showed early on in the video felt like it was done by people who never get out of their office and when they do spend all their time online. I don't care, live however you want, but maybe find someone with a little bit more to say to write your characters and story.

pronk420

I found the watchdogs 2 quick look a little unsettling, and someone who works for Google sent Jeff a question about it on his tumblr: http://jeff.zone/post/150849300101/long-time-listener-and-also-one-of-those-google

Its sort of like the weird situation where the guy was trying to reform as a criminal in GTA4, but did so by going around murdering hundreds of people.

In this, its a cringey story about the typical 'wake up sheeple' anonymous hackers taking on Facebook and Google, except instead of just DDOSing a website for ten minutes the guy suddenly pulls out an assault rifle and starts mowing down cops and civilians. Its sort of implying that whatever issues people might have around privacy and Facebook or the Google bus is worth resorting to blowing people up over.

Possibly if Ubisoft handle it right it could be ok, but I really can't see them doing that, and the hacker group comes across as exactly the kind of thing you see from 4chan and Lizard Squad and all that bullshit in real life.

Sou Da

I found the watchdogs 2 quick look a little unsettling, and someone who works for Google sent Jeff a question about it on his tumblr: http://jeff.zone/post/150849300101/long-time-listener-and-also-one-of-those-google

Its sort of like the weird situation where the guy was trying to reform as a criminal in GTA4, but did so by going around murdering hundreds of people.

In this, its a cringey story about the typical 'wake up sheeple' anonymous hackers taking on Facebook and Google, except instead of just DDOSing a website for ten minutes the guy suddenly pulls out an assault rifle and starts mowing down cops and civilians. Its sort of implying that whatever issues people might have around privacy and Facebook or the Google bus is worth resorting to blowing people up over.

Possibly if Ubisoft handle it right it could be ok, but I really can't see them doing that, and the hacker group comes across as exactly the kind of thing you see from 4chan and Lizard Squad and all that bullshit in real life.

Yeah, It's why I'm glad there's an option to go non-lethal but I'd wish that was the only way to play the game. It feels like the lethal route there because they didn't think the game would sell without it, it doesn't mesh with the story at all.

Here's hoping for story consequences if you go around shooting people.

Xater

Yeah, It's why I'm glad there's an option to go non-lethal but I'd wish that was the only way to play the game. It feels like the lethal route there because they didn't think the game would sell without it, it doesn't mesh with the story at all.

Here's hoping for story consequences if you go around shooting people.

I bet there won't. Ubisoft is just absolutely tone deaf when it comes to stuff like this.

MC: "The big corporations are invading your privacy and stealing your information!"
Also MC: *casually invades privacy of, and steals information from, every pedestrian he passes*

Sou Da

I bet there won't. Ubisoft is just absolutely tone deaf when it comes to stuff like this.
Probably
ha

I'm sure there are others, but Dishonored is the only game coming to mind that really changes the world if you go on murder sprees. Most games just don't even acknowledge you did it.
I'm not expecting a series of world state changes for murdering civilians but if there's some ending B where you'd get arrested the I'll take it.

kiguel182

That's my main gripe with this game. If they wanted the option to use guns there should be consequences or else it just creates this weird setting where "cool" hacker kids are gunning down tons of people to free their privacy or something like that. It's bad design.

Maiorum

Dishonored had consequences if you chose to go the lethal route, and it was annoying as hell because it meant that you couldn't go to town with the fun toys at your disposal without getting the bad ending. I'm all for posing difficult choices to the player, but there's a point at which it gets unnecessarily restrictive and undermines the rest of your game, and for me, that point is when you start applying the moral code to every random grunt you encounter.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You would first have to erase any trace of any other game before you can give Shenmue that award.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That doesn't look like Shenmue's style at all though

Looks great!

You would first have to erase any trace of any other game before you can give Shenmue that award.

I can think of some

"Most unfed cat of the year"
"Best Tom of the year"
"Best game in which you look for sailors on the Dreamcast"
"Longest time to guess Fireball"
"Most chill fanbase of the year"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dishonored had consequences if you chose to go the lethal route, and it was annoying as hell because it meant that you couldn't go to town with the fun toys at your disposal without getting the bad ending. I'm all for posing difficult choices to the player, but there's a point at which it gets unnecessarily restrictive and undermines the rest of your game, and for me, that point is when you start applying the moral code to every random grunt you encounter.

Eh, I think that's also slightly different, insomuch as Corvo as a character and Corvo's motivations aren't at odds with violence as a way to achieve them. The game is sorta trying to tell you "hey mass murder is bad" but nothing about Corvo is explicitly like "life is sacred and I must shed as little blood as possible"

The stuff in Watch Dogs 2 is jarring. Its at odds with both the character and the supposed narrative

repeater

Knowing Drew, it's probably for charity or something.

is everyone just trolling dan with this one syllable fire nonsense
As someone who's studied some linguistics, with a non-trivial component of phonetics and phonology, Dan's reasoning from the spelling of the word to the pronounciation was painful to listen to.

EDIT: To be clear, "fire" can be pronounced with only one syllable.

Top Bottom