• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

repeater

The cutscene they showed early on in the video felt like it was done by people who never get out of their office and when they do spend all their time online. I don't care, live however you want, but maybe find someone with a little bit more to say to write your characters and story.
I mean, that's probably a pretty apt characterization of the lives of many people in the Assassin's Creed factory, to be fair.
Knowing Drew, it's probably for charity or something.
Right, watching UPF now and Drew mentioned this briefly. Apparently it's for MS research, so a very worthy cause indeed -- Drew has a page about it where you can donate to support.

EDIT: Beaten.

Exactly.

In the words of a great scholar:
language is descriptive not prescriptive
(Well I actually have some minor reservations about that, but by and large it's wise.)

Maiorum

Eh, I think that's also slightly different, insomuch as Corvo as a character and Corvo's motivations aren't at odds with violence as a way to achieve them. The game is sorta trying to tell you "hey mass murder is bad" but nothing about Corvo is explicitly like "life is sacred and I must shed as little blood as possible"

The stuff in Watch Dogs 2 is jarring. Its at odds with both the character and the supposed narrative

Hmm, to that I would say that maybe I can live with that dichotomy, as harsh as it might be? I, selfishly, want to have my cake and eat it too- I want to fuck around with remote explosives on unsuspecting NPCs and whatnot while still having a narrative which doesn't see my protagonist become a complete asshole. The star examples used whenever this is brought up- GTA4 and Uncharted- never really bothered me much.

I would also argue that taking into consideration the realities of the way games are made, attempting to achieve congruity in games like these in which the gameplay sits apart from the plot (as opposed to a telltale game, for instance) is a losing battle. A different ending or even a handful of alternative scenes throughout the game is hardly going to suffice to reconcile the differences between gameplay and story.

IIRC Drew also had a fantastic camera look when Rorie said people with MS aren't much into bike riding. Confusing MS with scoliosis is peak Rorie.

Haven't watched UPF yet, but is something Rorie said wrong? My grandpa and an aunt both have MS. My grandpa lost the use of his legs long ago and my aunt usually needs the assistance if a cane to get around.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Haven't watched UPF yet, but is something Rorie said wrong? My grandpa and an aunt both have MS. My grandpa lost the use of his legs long ago and my aunt usually needs the assistance if a cane to get around.

He said his dad has very bad MS, and continued to ask "That's the thing where your spine bends right?"

Definitely was thinking of scoliosis. Drew's response was great, he used it to plug the charity and said If you'd like to educate Rorie about Multiple Sclerosis, you can donate at tinyurl.com/drewbikes

Xater

Checking Drew's Ride MS thing out confirms again that GB fans are generous when it comes to supporting charities. I can get behind that.

Not wrong, but Rorie was thinking about his dad with scoliosis when he said it, not MS. The context of their conversation adds to it. It came across as a super dark joke or comment at first.

repeater

Definitely was thinking of scoliosis. Drew's response was great, he used it to plug the charity and said If you'd like to educate Rorie about Multiple Sclerosis, you can donate at tinyurl.com/drewbikes
Drew is very quick on his feet in a conversation.

They should make it a stretchgoal of the charity to educate Rorie on other topics as well. Donations from this thread alone would guarantee a cure for MS within mere days.

jvalioli

I found the watchdogs 2 quick look a little unsettling, and someone who works for Google sent Jeff a question about it on his tumblr: http://jeff.zone/post/150849300101/long-time-listener-and-also-one-of-those-google

Its sort of like the weird situation where the guy was trying to reform as a criminal in GTA4, but did so by going around murdering hundreds of people.

In this, its a cringey story about the typical 'wake up sheeple' anonymous hackers taking on Facebook and Google, except instead of just DDOSing a website for ten minutes the guy suddenly pulls out an assault rifle and starts mowing down cops and civilians. Its sort of implying that whatever issues people might have around privacy and Facebook or the Google bus is worth resorting to blowing people up over.

Possibly if Ubisoft handle it right it could be ok, but I really can't see them doing that, and the hacker group comes across as exactly the kind of thing you see from 4chan and Lizard Squad and all that bullshit in real life.
The ask is me. I think the parody in Watch Dogs is actually fine; just was unhappy with Jeff's comment which seemed totally out of character. Seems his Tumblr followers don't like me though :)

justjim89

I didn't even know until those damn cynics at Giant Bomb started playing them that people don't like Mario Party. That's crazy. The N64 and early GC Mario Party games were some of my favorite games to play with friends and family growing up. I loved that series. It still boggles my mind that they dread it so much and whine and moan while playing it about how bad it is. Still looks fun to me.

Johndoey

Banned
I was excited when I thought Dishonored 2 was going to make the relationship between Emily and Corvo a major focus of the game (not for any particular reason mind you just hoping), but it looks like that's not happening.

repeater

I didn't even know until those damn cynics at Giant Bomb started playing them that people don't like Mario Party. That's crazy. The N64 and early GC Mario Party games were some of my favorite games to play with friends and family growing up. I loved that series. It still boggles my mind that they dread it so much and whine and moan while playing it about how bad it is. Still looks fun to me.
You a Shenmue fan or something?

Salarians

I was excited when I thought Dishonored 2 was going to make the relationship between Emily and Corvo a major focus of the game (not for any particular reason mind you just hoping), but it looks like that's not happening.
What's this about? Do you not really see the other after the opening or something? I haven't been keeping up.

justjim89

You a Shenmue fan or something?

No, because Mario Party is great and Shenmue is not. I'm not saying they're playing it wrong like those Shenmue chucklefucks do, but I don't see why they're having a bad time when they're playing it.

What's this about? Do you not really see the other after the opening or something? I haven't been keeping up.

After an opening scene, something happens and you have to choose Emily or Corvo, and Harvey Smith has said that the one you don't choose isn't seen for the rest of the game. Kind of a bummer, but I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Massively hyped for Dishonored 2. It's the sequel to the best game of the last generation, after all.

I'd like to see Mario Party on GBA one day. Something about translating Nintendo's polyginal games to sprites is neat. Never got a Smash Bros on GBA or DS, but the Jump Star games were close.

mattp

lol
i was literally about to post the total opposite:

until GB did the mario party streams, i had no idea anyone liked those games. besides little kids
i always thought they were pure garbage and assumed everyone else thought the same

repeater

lol
i was literally about to post the total opposite:

until GB did the mario party streams, i had no idea anyone liked those games. besides little kids
i always thought they were pure garbage and assumed everyone else thought the same
What do you mean "until GB did the streams"? Nothing in the MPP series has given you any reason whatsoever to revise your previous impression.

Salarians

After an opening scene, something happens and you have to choose Emily or Corvo, and Harvey Smith has said that the one you don't choose isn't seen for the rest of the game. Kind of a bummer, but I'm curious to see how it turns out.
I can understand why they would do that but it's still disappointing that they might not have many interactions. Ah well.

I loved playing 1-3 with my friends' house (3 brothers) when I had to stay over at their house for babysitting because my mom and dad were working. 3 was especially great.

Salarians

Kpwjd.gif

Edit:
Shenmue ER thread is the Mario Party of GAF threads

Top Bottom