• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I can't in all good conscience call Pokémon Go a good (or even fundamentally functional) game, but it's my favourite experience of the year by a mile.

Best Moment or Sequence: Wandering into a park near your house that you didn't know existed and coming across a big group of people all chatting and laughing about Pokémon.

Joeku

It should be Hitman over both of those though.

Look, I fucking love Hitman 2016 but there is a bunch of dumb bullshit surrounding the game that knocks it down from top spot.

Also I'm tired of everyone being Yuri Lowenthal. Yosuke's all up over that shit.

Look, I fucking love Hitman 2016 but there is a bunch of dumb bullshit surrounding the game that knocks it down from top spot.

Also I'm tired of everyone being Yuri Lowenthal. Yosuke's all up over that shit.

Hitman will likely end up being my personal GOTY unless Dishonored 2 blows me away but I kinda agree. A game with online only elements (a single player game at that), endless glitches and poor communication leading to episodic buyers being left out on content, I really don't think it deserves to awarded highly by a big website.

That said, it did lead to some of the best Giant Bomb content this year.

ArjanN

Not really. The fact it's episodic actually works in it's favor, and IMO the online requirement is also basically a non-issue in 2016.

I wouldn't put money on Paper Mario being discussed in depth in a Bombcast, never mind the GOTY discussions. It looks utterly stunning, but it's not going to get any traction.

Not really. The fact it's episodic actually works in it's favor, and IMO the online requirement is also basically a non-issue in 2016.

I can tell you for an absolute certainty that the last part's untrue.

It hasn't factored into their experiences all that much and probably shouldn't affect the rankings too much, but the online has caused me significant problems throughout the game's life.

I don't know if they'll play it with it releasing in December, but Gravity Rush 2 has a wonderful look to it.

Superhot, Abzu, Ratchet and Clank are nice looking games this year. There's a case to be made for Inside.

But we all know Rez Infinite will win.

oti

Banned
I don't know if they'll play it with it releasing in December, but Gravity Rush 2 has a wonderful look to it.

Superhot, Abzu, Ratchet and Clank are nice looking games this year. There's a case to be made for Inside.

But we all know Rez Infinite will win.

Superhot was 2016? Damn. I need to play this.

ArjanN

I hope Devil Daggers throws a random wrench into that whole thing if graphics is one category.

It won't. It'll win best styyyyyle or something, if they do make it all one category it'll be Doom or a similarly technically impressive looking game.

The best graphics discussion between DOOM and Paper Mario will be DELICIOUS.

There'll be 1 person tops at Giant Bomb who'll even be aware a Paper Mario came out.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/780114640713854976
CtOGHl2VYAAKnlh.jpg

all the Hitman maps have been a letdown since Sapienza tho

But the Elusives and contracts in each map have more than made up for that. I'm not conceding the maps are disappointing, but I'll say Bangkok was way smaller than I'd have hoped. I can't think of another game I've gotten more playtime out of this year.

I'm having a ton of trouble playing DOOM. I can tell it's a really good game, but it weirdly stresses me out to play and I just don't enjoy it that much. I really wish I could enjoy it more than I do. I was enjoying it more before I got to Hell.

I'm having a ton of trouble playing DOOM. I can tell it's a really good game, but it weirdly stresses me out to play and I just don't enjoy it that much. I really wish I could enjoy it more than I do. I was enjoying it more before I got to Hell.

I played it a level at a time. Couldn't really do more than that. I felt like the levels were the perfect length for a single play session.

It's been a good year for games, huh.

No genre-redefining masterpieces, but a good solid spread of titles on all levels.

And there are at least three more games that really appeal to me rounding out the year. Only letdown is on Nintendo's end but the new Pokémon is shaping up to be the first I've bought in a decade.

My iphone auto corrected Pokémon to add the accent over e.

I wonder if they will look at Planet Coaster.

They haven't for Parkitect, Roller Coaster Tycoon World, Theme Park Studio, or NoLimits 2 (though Jeff played around with that on a UPF). All of those games have been released in the past couple years. I could see them doing one for Rollercoaster Dreams though, which is a PSVR compatible game, supposedly releasing on the same day PSVR does (looking into it, the developers of that game made a roller coaster game for Dreamcast).

Top Bottom