• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why Jeff wants better curation and quality control on Steam.

His weekly premium feature would be out of ideas without it.

And there are at least three more games that really appeal to me rounding out the year. Only letdown is on Nintendo's end but the new Pokémon is shaping up to be the first I've bought in a decade.

My iphone auto corrected Pokémon to add the accent over e.

Yeah, the Nintendo software situation's unfortunate, although it's weird that it coincided with Nintendo being as big in the public eye as it's been since the height of the Wii days- between Go, Zelda at E3, the Olympics and the Apple Conference, they've been as prominent as they have been for years. Imagine what they'll be like when they've actually got some software coming out!

Given the Pokémon franchise's penchant for conservatism (as much as I generally love it), Sun and Moon looks like an insane reinvention. If they pull off what they're promising, they could be the best in the series with a bullet.

Salarians

yZb6Uso.png
Brad looks like the 'good' one

Maiorum

Yeah, the Nintendo software situation's unfortunate, although it's weird that it coincided with Nintendo being as big in the public eye as it's been since the height of the Wii days- between Go, Zelda at E3, the Olympics and the Apple Conference, they've been as prominent as they have been for years. Imagine what they'll be like when they've actually got some software coming out!

Given the Pokémon franchise's penchant for conservatism (as much as I generally love it), Sun and Moon looks like an insane reinvention. If they pull off what they're promising, they could be the best in the series with a bullet.

What's going on with Sun and Moon?

What's going on with Sun and Moon?

Junking gyms and HMs, a 3D ethos being introduced to the overworld design, redesigning legacy Pokémon, introducing more of a story focus, non-Pokémon boss creatures, vastly increased customisation options, on top of all of the mechanical development and alteration you might expect.

I mean, they aren't fundamentally changing what the games are, but they've gone back and stripped out everything about the progression and the experience of the franchise and rethought it all. It's what the series has been crying out for for years, and I can't wait to try it.

Junking gyms and HMs, a 3D ethos being introduced to the overworld design, redesigning legacy Pokémon, introducing more of a story focus, non-Pokémon boss creatures, vastly increased customisation options, on top of all of the mechanical development and alteration you might expect.

I mean, they aren't fundamentally changing what the games are, but they've gone back and stripped out everything about the progression and the experience of the franchise and rethought it all. It's what the series has been crying out for for years, and I can't wait to try it.

That sounds fantastic. Is there a video or something that goes over all the changes? I planned on picking it up just because i'm itching to play Pokemon, but I had no idea the changes were going that deep.

Maiorum

Huh, that sounds cool. I assumed it was just going to follow the same trajectory the series has been following, ie, be basically the same as the last game but better. I'll have to take a look at it.

And to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, they've all but likely shifted resources to the NX and it should have one hell of showing...any day now.

... That was a good fucking trailer. I need Pokemon now.

That trailer also made me realize we're going to get Pokemon games on NX, and they are probably going to look faaantastic.

Having to play on my 3DS is the one bummer about Sun and Moon. Nothing against the 3DS, but it'll end up being me sitting in front of my big TV playing on a 5" screen. Can't wait for the NX to do away with that distinction and let me play everything on my TV.

the only thing that has me worried about Sun/moon is that the leaked/rumored final starter evolutions look preeeettyyyyy baaaaadddd.

Love all three starters but I hope they don't ALL go full anthro when they evolve.

Johndoey

Banned
I played Firewatch to completion then almost immediately forgot it existed. The voice acting and art style are great and nothing else is worth talking about. Besides that the performance on ps4 was atrocious.

--
I've had eight or so years off Pokemon and those changes sound pretty dope, I might grab Sun when it comes out.

And to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, they've all but likely shifted resources to the NX and it should have one hell of showing...any day now.

You'd hope so, considering they haven't released an internal, EPD-developed game on Wii U or 3DS since Super Mario Maker. Everything that they've released since has been a collaboration with one external developer or another.

That trailer also made me realize we're going to get Pokemon games on NX, and they are probably going to look faaantastic.

I'd place cold hard cash on a rezzed-up Sun/Moon port turning up on NX within months of the launch if all the leaks are legit. If there's no backwards compatibility with the 3DS they'll want to move to the new platform as soon as possible, and the Pokémon models were built with future hardware in mind- they have an absurd amount of polys for 3DS games.

Sun/Moon will live or die for me on how much of a challenge it puts up. I know they're kids games and all but XY was just piss easy to the point where even type matchups barely mattered. Made the game a real slog.

So, are there any dark horse candidates that might turn Game of the Year expectations on their head? I know Jeff's all sweaty for Rez Infinite, but other than that I'm struggling to think of anything.

Sun/Moon will live or die for me on how much of a challenge it puts up. I know they're kids games and all but XY was just piss easy to the point where even type matchups barely mattered. Made the game a real slog.

Not sure how they'd do it, but hopefully they start putting difficulty settings into the games. IIRC set/shift is the only option you have regarding difficulty.

So, are there any dark horse candidates that might turn Game of the Year expectations on their head? I know Jeff's all sweaty for Rez Infinite, but other than that I'm struggling to think of anything.

Gears of War if it ends up being good, both Jeff and Dan have said they are really looking forward to it. I think it would be hard pressed to overtake DOOM as their shooter of the year though. Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Dead Rising 4 could all make waves if they end up being really good.

For top honors? Nah, I don't think anything will unseat DOOM. But I hope Mafia 3 has a good shot at cracking the list.

Maiorum

Watch Drew get super into Yokai Watch 2 and push it into the top spot.

Civ 6 and Mafia 3, maybe. Dishonored 2 if it clicks with any of them this time. Long shot is The Last Guardian; Dan and Brad strike me as guy who'd be into it.

Watch Drew get super into Yokai Watch 2 and push it into the top spot.

Oh wait, that's right. Drew is playing that isn't he? Drew playing Yokai Watch makes me hopeful he'll give Pokemon a shot.

Civ 6 and Mafia 3, maybe. Dishonored 2 if it clicks with any of them this time. Long shot is The Last Guardian; Dan and Brad strike me as guy who'd be into it.

Brad, maybe, but I feel like Dan would get annoyed with the unique control feel that Team ICO games have. Could be wrong on that though.

For top honors? Nah, I don't think anything will unseat DOOM. But I hope Mafia 3 has a good shot at cracking the list.
God, I hope so. I've got the nagging feeling it's got the coveted "Game that Jeff Played for an Hour and Shrugged At" award on lock, though I'd love to be surprised.

which, considering past recipients of the GTJPFAHASA Award include Red Dead Redemption, Witcher 3 and Just Cause 2, might not be a bad thing

I don't think anything will push to the top 3, but there's a slew of shooters that Jeff/Dan could push into the top 10.

Gears of War 4
Mafia 3
Titanfall 2
CoD Infinite Warfare
Battlefield One
Watch Dogs 2

Then there's some latecomers that may get some discussion:

Civ 6
Dishonored 2
The Last Guardian
Final Fantasy 15

The last two probably not due to their late release dates.

Chuck

Still without luck
All the Dead Rising talk made me watch some gameplay of 4.

They just weren't content enough with ruining Dead Rising, they just had to go and ruin Frank too.

Top Bottom