• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

do first to three wins

Knife Party Party

BHZLQiR.gif

cutcutcutcutcutcutcutcut

oti

Banned
I missed the Giant Bomb C team (VICE gaming) podcast announcement being a thing. Another show to add to the long list of weekly podcasts I listen to.

I don't know man. I love both these guys but they need more grounded counterparts for their esoteric monologues about feelings in video games and stuff.

Jintor

I'll forever mourne the loss of Team Beast but we had 51 good episodes

I'm still vaguely putting together that best of Beast btw

oti

Banned
Dan ryckert on the rotating chair when he moves to new york.

Austin: The fact of the matter is that this wallpaper simulator called "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" managed to make me feel vulnerable like a newborn just as Socrates described in his letters to his followers and that's why "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" is a better video game than The Witcher 3.

Patrick: I agree that just like Alighieri's description of hell "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" does indeed provoke something deep inside your heart that no other game, especially not The Witcher 3, manages to do.

Dan: So yesterday I saw a naked man on the train. Wiener out and everything!

Watched Mary's stream of that Space Janitor game, what a weird ass fucking game.

There are some good young fighters coming up but I'm not interested in Mayweather whatsoever.

I also tend to watch UFC over boxing these days.

Same here.

Almost caught up on content, the gbeast game dev academy was a treat.

It's really damn good. I hope they continue on it in the future.

I'm sorry, but before I answer any of those questions, I'm gonna need to know which Giant Bomb member you would want to be your dad.

Jeff, Mr. G-Man.

kZfBlNp.gif

The time between Ryan passing away and Dan + Jason being hired was way way worse than now.

While I cannot judge the quality of that timing since I stopped following GB for nearly a year after Ryan passed away and this is coming from someone who's been watching/following the guys since late 2004, so yes, in a way, I agree that it's probably way, way worse than now by a mile.

Stealth new Vice Gaming Podcast....I don't know who these guys are though.

https://vicegamingsnewpodcast.simplecast.fm/

Listened to it earlier today, damn good stuff. Even as a guy who's not American.

We're in agreement that drew needs to play rising before the election season is over right

YES pls.

Listening to Beastcast again. Episode 69! I love Beastcast.

Watch No Man's Sky QL then listen to Beastcast episode 64.

It'll just end with everybody rushing for Jeff's knife drawer

Zm9n8iJ.gif

pizzacat

Banned
Is sonic shuffle a real thing or am I being meme'd on

I sort of blocked sonic the hedgehog from my google searches so I really wouldn't be able to know

Is sonic shuffle a real thing or am I being meme'd on

I sort of blocked sonic the hedgehog from my google searches so I really wouldn't be able to know

Sonicshufflebox.png

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Shuffle
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Shuffle

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sonic-shuffle-review/1900-2655429/ said:
Sonic Shuffle Review
The combination of the unbearable load times, the smattering of minigames, and the poor minigame design make Sonic Shuffle a boring diversion at best.
by Ryan Davis on November 17, 2000

In Mario Party, Sonic Shuffle's primary competitor, the minigames make up the bulk of the game time, and the board game is simply a means to access them expediently. Such is not the case in Sonic Shuffle. The spaces that trigger the minigames are sparsely scattered across the board, and it is by no means necessary to play the minigames in order to complete the game. In fact, it's entirely possible to go through a game of Sonic Shuffle without playing a single minigame. The minigames, once you actually get to one, have the tendency to be confusing and pointlessly complex. The joy of minigames comes from their ease of play - anyone can pick them up, and from there it's simply a four-way test of skill. In Sonic Shuffle, more often than not, the minigames are a test of who can decipher the needlessly bewildering gameplay first.

Those looking for a Mario Party equivalent will be brutally disappointed with Sonic Shuffle, and they are better-off looking for another outlet for their four-player gaming desires.

4.5/10

Tubobutts

Austin: The fact of the matter is that this wallpaper simulator called "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" managed to make me feel vulnerable like a newborn just as Socrates described in his letters to his followers and that's why "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" is a better video game than The Witcher 3.

Patrick: I agree that just like Alighieri's description of hell "Babies Wallpaper Simulator 2016" does indeed provoke something deep inside your heart that no other game, especially not The Witcher 3, manages to do.

Dan: So yesterday I saw a naked man on the train. Wiener out and everything!
You need to work on your Patrick if you want your slash fiction to be believable.

BTA

You need to work on your Patrick if you want your slash fiction to be believable.

Austin literally doesn't talk like that at all either. Just because he approaches things more academically doesn't mean he speaks like someone trying to bullshit their way to a longer essay for their high school English class.

Austin literally doesn't talk like that at all either. Just because he approaches things more academically doesn't mean he speaks like someone trying to bullshit their way to a longer essay for their high school English class.

Yup. And while I respect him greatly, the only time I've ever really noticed anyone actually speak that way in a review was when Adam Sessler reviewed The Last of Us, and that was after someone edited down his video review to highlight what they felt was the most pretentious moments.

Edit- Here's that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90frJAHoB8

I can't think of any company that hasn't made a terrible game besides maybe Blizzard.

Well, if we're going by overall critical reception, I don't think Naughty Dog (at least since they went PlayStation exclusive) has released a critically panned game (Jak X Racing being the closest to one). Another Sony Studio, Santa Monica has never released a general consensus panned game, at least those made in-house (they've only developed six games in-house- Kinetica, God of War Trilogy, God of War: Ascension, and God of War (2017))

Well, if we're going by overall critical reception, I don't think Naughty Dog (at least since they went PlayStation exclusive) has released a critically panned game (Jak X Racing being the closest to one).

Eh, Jak 3 was pretty light on content and Jak 2 is pretty controversial, no? Not that I'd say it's terrible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, if we're going by overall critical reception, I don't think Naughty Dog (at least since they went PlayStation exclusive) has released a critically panned game (Jak X Racing being the closest to one).

They did make way of the warrior, a critic's darling.

Eh, Jak 3 was pretty light on content and Jak 2 is pretty controversial, no? Not that I'd say it's terrible.

Critics still were generally favorable towards them. Jak II got an 87 from Metacritic/87.83% from GameRankings and Jak 3 got an 84 from Metacritic/85.33% from GameRankings. Like I said, their lowest (at least since they went PlayStation only) was Jak X Combat Racing with 76 from Metacritic/77.01% from GameRankings.

They did make way of the warrior, a critic's darling.

That was before PlayStation, but yeah. Looking on Wikipedia, it appears it was their worst game. As that game was released in the early days of the internet (1994), there's no general consensus score, but it probably would not be all that great. Their other pre-PlayStation games seemed to fare better.

repeater

I'll forever mourne the loss of Team Beast but we had 51 good episodes

I'm still vaguely putting together that best of Beast btw
Yeah, like others have said I think the Beastcast (like the Bombcast) is still good, but.. man, the chemistry of the OG Beastmen was something else and will not easily be replaced.

A Best of Beast would be awesome, I'm now very much looking forward to you finishing that project!

Candidates, the question on everyone's mind is: UPF, should it go or should it stay? What are your thoughts?
Question is pretty moot, El Commendante Jefe expressed on the last Jartime that it's one of his favorite things they do, so it's probably not going anywhere (which is fine by me, I enjoy UPF for what it is).

Top Bottom