• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Compared to what tho?

Its the only thing they have on a schedule every week besides the podcast.

Everything, it seems.
It’s usually at or near the top of our popularity list each week.
He's not saying it's their best performing weekly series. I know they haven't been doing a lot of premium content lately but they still release 10+ videos every week (premium & non-premium) so there's some competition.

So, Michel Ancel is teasing a new game.

14369192_953707601400156_8704898801950785536_n.jpg

It's that time again to mention how awesome 'Spanish Bar' is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
MGSV is my game of the generation so far. I still can't believe just how fun it was.
I don't know what to believe with this game. I was kind of looking forward to it for a while, but I also didn't really like Ground Zeroes that much so I just skipped it after the downer talk on GB.

I don't know man. I love both these guys but they need more grounded counterparts for their esoteric monologues about feelings in video games and stuff.
I was basically called a Gamergater when I suggested the same thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, Michel Ancel is teasing a new game.

It's that time again to mention how awesome 'Spanish Bar' is.

I've been fooled so many times. Not again. Until Ubisoft screams "WE ARE MAKING BG&E2, HERE IT IS" directly in my face I won't believe anything anymore.
(Also I'm worried about current day Ubisoft making this game)

I am so stoked for this Austin und Scoops podcast.

Unless it's like 30-45 minutes long I doubt I have time to listen to it.

Sonic Shuffle was not a fun time. The card battle system was the absolute worst thing ever, I think.

The only interesting thing is the variable stages due to certain events happening on the board.

repeater

I haven't had time to listen to the Vice podcast yet, can anyone tell me how high Austin and Patrick are during the recording? Maybe put it in spoilers if it's something people would rather find out for themselves.

Zaph

I haven't had time to listen to the Vice podcast yet, can anyone tell me how high Austin and Patrick are during the recording? Maybe put it in spoilers if it's something people would rather find out for themselves.

Everything is fine until about half way when Action Bronson comes in with 'shrooms

I think Ancel knows better at this point than to tease something he can't guarantee will come. When Double Fine had him in to talk BG&E1 and they tried to tease BG&E2 info out of him, he wasn't playing along at all.

Now he's posted entirely new concept art on Instagram. It's happening.
but it's not going to be NX exclusive, no way

I played a lot of Sonic Shuffle because I had a Dreamcast and I was a stupid child and let me tell you, it's not a good time. So IIRC for everything that follows too.

The way you move around the board is dependent on the cards you have in your hand. You're always given 1-6 and four wild cards, which can be S cards (that have special properties) or Eggman cards which fuck you over. Moving around the board is also somewhat luck based, because there are special tiles that only certain characters can move over (IE, knuckles can climb up a cliff face for a huge shortcut). Not only is it possible to not play minigames, but you'll have to deal with enemy encounter spaces as you move around. These shitty battles require you to waste one of your cards to attack (in the form of a spinning card that displays 1-whatever the highest number of the card you chose is), and if you don't kill the enemy outright in one hit or else you lose a bunch of rings.

To win the match, you have to collect the precioustones on the map. There are 7 in total, 6 of them will appear normally on the map. To collect them, you have to win one of those fucking battle encounters. If you don't kill it outright, you'll have to loop back around, but the boss enemy will keep the damage that has been dealt to it. So it's entirely possible to press A at the wrong time, not do enough damage, and have your opponent come snipe a weakass boss monster. The 7th forms as a really tough boss that will absolutely take multiple encounters to beat.

Then once all the stones have been collected, you'd think the round ends right? Ha. No, some stupid event happens and you're forced to play a really fucking long minigame themed around the stage, which really doesn't matter in the end because the winner is the person who collects the most stones and getting more rings would only help in the event of a tie. But because there's 7 of them I don't think there actually can be a tie? Except if three people got two stones each, I guess. The point is, getting a tie is way harder and the end minigame is just such a waste of time.

Oh it's so bad. They missed every single part of what makes Mario Party or other Party games enjoyable.

BTA

I need to catch up on MPP before the flood of it begins, but if they do an extra game at all I want it to be Fortune Street.

Johndoey

Banned
The Vice gaming podcast has that solid Austin/Patrick action you want. It's pretty good and a nice length.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. It's like... The worst possible version of a Mario Party type game. It's a terrible slog. Souls will leave bodies is what I'm getting at.

So it'll be amazing is what you're saying?

pizzacat

Banned
Hudson has probably made more bad games than good, but I still miss them.
I need a game with bomber man trying to save the Dolphys

RIP Black Pud'n

I had a dreamcast too glitches and all I played were terrible arcade ports of fighting games with an arcade stick that gave me blisters, it's your own fault that sonic shuffle was in your life

Scizzy

But is Brad up yet?

QLing Destiny without Brad was a terrible mistake and yet doing a Hitman video without him would be far worse. Dan and Vinny hijinks will be welcome as a side dish in the future, but Brad's bizarre approach to the game will always be the main course.

Jintor

It wouldn't be a Hitdan without Brad inexplicably forgetting how mechanics work while being absolutely confident about how he thinks they work, freezing up with indecision at a crucial moment, and finally totally winging it and somehow magically escaping unscathed.

True art.

Strax

Everything, it seems.

He's not saying it's their best performing weekly series. I know they haven't been doing a lot of premium content lately but they still release 10+ videos every week (premium & non-premium) so there's some competition.

Ah yes, I thought you might be talking about this. What I meant is that they kinda can't compare to anything else, at least not in any way by normal measurements standards that businesses would use, because it is the only weekly premium show. I have no doubt it does well for them but comparing UPF to anything else is kinda impossible.

Everything, it seems.

It's not the best performing because it's good though, it's because it is the established Giant Bomb live slot. It is basically the only thing they have established alongside the podcasts which I am guessing is also their most popular stuff.

You could put something else there and it would be just as popular if not more so.

I rarely watch UPF live now personally. I might check out the archive if something good happens.

Demption

Darkest Dungeon came out for PS4, i remember Alex really liking it on PC? Did the others play that game? It reviewed quite well but somehow everyone seems to have forgotten it.

BTA

Darkest Dungeon came out for PS4, i remember Alex really liking it on PC? Did the others play that game? It reviewed quite well but somehow everyone seems to have forgotten it.

Didn't the Beastcast briefly mention thinking it'd be good on the Vita? Or am I imagining that?

I don't think anyone else played it (yet), though.

They mentioned it briefly on last weeks Beastcast, I think, but yea don't think any of the others played it. I picked it up recently and have been enjoying it a lot. Definitely recommend if you like what you see in the QL

repeater

It's suffered from being in Early Access for so long. It kinda deflates the hype of release and makes the game drop out of discussion earlier because most of the stuff has already been said during EA.

The hate for some of the characters in Shenmue is absolutely hilarious. I'm loving this ER and it's making me look back at this game as really bad. For some reason I remember so much of the game taking place in the city. Is that Shenmue 2 and I'm just combining the two?

LiK

all i remember from Shemue was the atmosphere and a few bits and pieces of some scenes. i forgot that the gameplay in the first game was so basic.

It's not the best performing because it's good though, it's because it is the established Giant Bomb live slot. It is basically the only thing they have established alongside the podcasts which I am guessing is also their most popular stuff.

You could put something else there and it would be just as popular if not more so.

I rarely watch UPF live now personally. I might check out the archive if something good happens.

Word. It's not a coincidence that their two biggest shows are the ones you can count on to show up with some sense of regularity.

Top Bottom