• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Giganteus

UPF is becoming the Monday Night RAW of giant bomb content.

Its a bit of a slog of a show these days.
I'll be blunt: I think they just want to go home on Friday. They can do all sorts of things on UPF to keep it fresh and interesting, but they just want to relax for a couple hours before getting out of there. Which is fine in theory, but eventually when it's that low energy and the games you're picking can be hit and miss, you're not doing a service to a format that can give you a lot more.

I'm sure they know, but they don't care enough, yet, so it ain't changing until the numbers go bad on Jeff. Until then, he can cite the fact that UPF is their most popular premium feature and whatnot.

Edit: Can't wait for Dan to join those whippersnappers at GBEast. They've still got the juice for some hijinks.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Jeff said UPF is still pretty popular for them, but I do wish they would freshen it up a bit. Bring some new ideas beyond "Hey, I dunno let's play this thing again?"

kingocfs

I think Jeff said UPF is still pretty popular for them, but I do wish they would freshen it up a bit. Bring some new ideas beyond "Hey, I dunno let's play this thing again?"

Like what though? There's only so much you can do with these video game shows.

UPF is what it is. It has its ups and downs week to week like any other program.

Strax

what was the original conceit for UPF, and how has it strayed from that

"Unprofessional Fridays is a weekly live show hosted by Jeff, created in 2013. It's original intent was to allow Vinny to play Castlevania. The show's laid back nature contrasted very well with TNT. For most of its existence it's been the only regular live show.
Usually, each participant plays a game he wants to show."

Maiorum

I have no issues with UPF. I'm 100% ok with there being a casual, laid back show where they shoot the shit and play whatever- god knows some amazing moments have come out of that. It's when it makes up the lion's share of the monthly premium offering that it becomes a shaky proposition.

Mr. F

Banned
what was the original conceit for UPF, and how has it strayed from that

Wrapping up or getting back to games they hadn't had the chance to play. Kind of show-and-tell ish.

Now it's mostly "I found this on steam 2 mins before the show" or Drew opening the show with something that grinds the pace to a halt. They usually ignore the person at the PC and have a mini bombcast among themselves. Either that or Gang Beasts.

It's probably popular because it's their only premium show with any degree of regularity.

To quote another feature from GB:
latest

Chuck

Still without luck
Oh yeah, bring back gb unplugged.

New idea. Put a camera on a real pinball machine and do a tournament with that.

Tagyhag

Counting the Bombcast videos in the premium catagory is horseshit imo even though it is premium. UPF hasn't had a segment I liked since June so for me its 4 videos I might enjoy and 1 always enjoy in entire month. Somebody here said "ban the PC" on UPF and I kind agree unless its Drew (or Vinny).

No way, we wouldn't have gotten Devil Daggers without PC.

They just need to actually think of their UPF choice and see if it's something that'd play well in video. Like, I'm amazed they haven't shown Redout yet.

If i'm remembering Bombcast correctly, Jeff G mentioned how a lot of gaming/tech outlets are treating Palmer with kids gloves. Sounds about right.

I don't listen to the Beastcast. What are you guys talking about?

Jeff B was all "You need to separate products from the creator, who cares that your money will go directly to said creator to spend as they please?" which led to "Palmer is at the young age of 24 so his funding and participation in disgustingly racist/sexist initiatives is no big deal... but I don't excuse it!" then "Other tech reviewers not willing to look at products fronted by a racist cunt and give said cunt publicity are weird."

Basically he put me off listening to the show, especially given the Vice podcast address these concerns in a much more intelligent/enjoyable way. Alex did his best to castigate Palmer whilst maintaining a friendly atmosphere and Vinney was disappointingly complicit with Jeff whilst occasionally throwing in "It's important we don't all hate each other!". It was really disappointing given how vehemently Gerstmann spoke against Palmer earlier in the week.

I actually decided today to delete the Bomb and Beastcast off of my podcast list, as after watching five episodes pile up and having no desire to listen to them, I realized maybe I don't care about their hot takes any more or I have become way too accustomed to their usual back and forth on the conversations and don't really find the attraction any more. Backalar super disappointed me this week too.

Dan getting on the Beastcast again will probably suck me back in though.

Strax

"Other tech reviewers not willing to look at products fronted by a racist cunt and give said cunt publicity are weird."

I 100% agree with this. If you are a tech reviewer that won't review tech products because X is part of the company that made it you are a terrible tech reviewer.

Does anyone know when the premium subscriptions go back on sale again? I missed it somehow. I might as well cancel it now and then resubscribe later.

Tagyhag

It's reminiscent to me of how white male misbehaviour is usually cast as laddism or high spirits or whatever

Had Palmer been black, there would have been zero "Boys will be boys!" defending.

Then again, had Palmer been black, he wouldn't have had the privilege that he had in order to get to where he is now.

This isn't "He likes the Republican, we like the Democrat."

This is "He likes a dude who would want to get rid of half of your company if he could"

It's a shame that Bakalar can't see that, especially when he works on a field that's already pretty fucked up when it comes to gender and race inclusion.

I understand GB being hesitant to take explicit political stances (even if I think they shouldn't be), but being against the alt-right and the people who support it is such a slam-dunk no-brainer that I don't understand why they keep trying to dance around it.

imBask

Banned
I understand GB being hesitant to take explicit political stances (even if I think they shouldn't be), but being against the alt-right and the people who support it is such a slam-dunk no-brainer that I don't understand why they keep trying to dance around it.

because even if you and I disagree with them, you can't put all of them and their ideology in the same basket

because even if you and I disagree with them, you can't put all of them and their ideology in the same basket
Yes you can. The Alt Right movement is inherently about white supremacy. If someone isn't a white supremacist and still considers themselves to be part of the Alt Right, they are confused and literally don't know what they're talking about.

imBask

Banned
The alt-right is literally a renaming of white supremacists. You can put them all into the white supremacist basket.

Yes you can. The Alt Right movement is inherently about white supremacy. If someone isn't a white supremacist and still considers themselves to be part of the Alt Right, they are confused and literally don't know what they're talking about.

You get what I mean. They'd rather thread lightly just in case and I understand them. There's no need to slam anyone on a gaming podcast, that's not what they're there for

Tagyhag

You get what I mean. They'd rather thread lightly just in case and I understand them. There's no need to slam anyone on a gaming podcast, that's not what they're there for

Well it's not like its random, The face of one of the big 3 high-end VR headsets is part of the group. That's part of gaming if you ask me.

I'm not asking them to spend 2 hours vilifying the group, but a little more than "We don't know all the facts" would be appreciated.

Top Bottom