• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

You get what I mean. They'd rather thread lightly just in case and I understand them. There's no need to slam anyone on a gaming podcast, that's not what they're there for

Just in case of what exactly? Why tread lightly around hate groups? And why is a gaming podcast not an appropriate time to slam prominent figures in the industry? This is a really bad subject to play devil's advocate on.

Johndoey

Banned
Like Luckey is low key supporting a hate group have some fucking spine and call the situation for what it is as opposed to waffling. I don't expect some smackdown but if you're covering the news don't dance around it.

I like Jeff B but dawg was talking some dumb shit on the Beastcast, like borderline good ol' boys shit.

Fuck this bullshit "fairness" people espouse, I don't have to pretend these off brand white supremacists have anything of value to contribute or that their viewpoints are legitimate.

Just in case of what exactly? Why tread lightly around hate groups? And why is a gaming podcast not an appropriate time to slam prominent figures in the industry? This is a really bad subject to play devil's advocate on.

Yeah

It's like

It's one thing to be a Republican and tow that line, and tow that line publically.

It's another to try and quietly fund/start a hate group, using a known white supremacist forum to siphon donations from, and using a known racist bigot(Milo) to 'vet' for you because you're too afraid to show people your true bigotry.

There is no treading lightly to that. There is no 'He's young', there is no 'That's just his politics'. If Luckey came out and said "i'm republican" that's one thing. That's fine. You support a xenophobic, racist, sexist, deranged idiot, that's on you. But trying to fund a hate group quietly, hoping nobody notices? Fuck off with the talk of 'Well he's young, it's his politics'. Nah. Nah. You don't get to devils advocate 'ignorance' for that.

imBask

Banned

I guess you're right. I just don't care enough about it to want to hear them slam him

just ignore the idiot, don't give him attention because that's what he and his group wants and buy a PSVR instead, now that sounds like a plan

Strax

Because you are tech reviewer and not a moral compass for the consumer. Phil Fish literally wrote to a person "kill yourself" but people are still gonna review SUPERHYPERCUBE and so they should. A reviewer should not let his personal morals interfere because we don't have the same morals. If you don't want to buy the product or want to write articles about the person I 100% support that but not in the terms of a product review.

Also where do you draw that line?

Game company treats their staff like shit, do you review?
Game company has a person that beat his partner on staff, do you review?
Game company has a accused rapist on staff, do you review?
Game company has a convicted rapist on staff, do you review?
and so on.

Because you are tech reviewer and not a moral compass for the consumer. Phil Fish literally wrote to a person "kill yourself" but people are still gonna review SUPERHYPERCUBE and so they should. A reviewer should not let his personal morals interfere because we don't have the same morals. If you don't want to buy the product or want to write articles about the person I 100% support that but not in the terms of a product review.

In this case though

They chose to talk about this.

If a developer decides to stop development on a game for the Oculus, are you going to call them a terrible developer? "Suck it up you're just a game maker, and that's all you do. Go make your game for the Oculus."

If someone chose not to review the Oculus, after this, that's fine. Just like if a food critic choosing not to review Trumps Steaks, then nobody should be coming in saying 'You're a food reviewre, it's your job. Go review that steak, or you're a terrible food reviewer.'

And this is something you just can't ignore. That is why we are where we are, because people have been ignoring racist bullshit all this time. You either speak out, or you're complacent in your silence.

Facebook for example, I'm pretty sure they didn't say shit about this. And that's a fault on them.

Also where do you draw that line?

Game company treats their staff like shit, do you review?
Game company has a accused rapist on staff, do you review?
Game company has a convicted rapist on staff, do you review?
and so on.

Those are all horrible things, and all of those do deserve a protest when it comes to the game. Company treats their staff like shit? Don't give their game publicity. Company has a rapist on the staff? Talk about it. Maybe not in the review, but a separate op-ed.

Strax

Like I said I'm only talking about in the context of a review. Articles/talk about everything behind the product good or bad I 100% support.

Giant Bomb review whatever the hell they want so I don't see the problem with other sites being selective about what they review if they have moral qualms with the creator.

So my girlfriend downloaded the cbsn app on ps4 and was showing me this segment on "allo"

The news anchors turn to their CNET correspondent, Jeff backlar. Needless to say I flipped out. It was glorious to see little jeffy be all professional talking to the news anchors.

Alright, home from the big horrible music festival that is ACL! Did you guys know there's a giant fucking ball of incandescent gas in the sky that sears your body?

How was UPF?

This hackmud segment....
aMnfthm.gif

Fox318

UPF has always been kind of rough. Frankly the more structured content is the more it tends to be better from giantbomb.

And they probably would be better off if it was recorded on a Thursday.

chogidogs

So I've been powering through Steins Gate the past few hours. I'm in chapter 3 and I don't think the story is anything special and I think the protagonist is horrible. Is this game worth it? I see alot of post that says this game is the GOAT.

I post this here coz you guys are anime.

Sorry for people who are not.

hamchan

So I've been powering through Steins Gate the past few hours. I'm in chapter 3 and I don't think the story is anything special and I think the protagonist is horrible. Is this game worth it? I see alot of post that says this game is the GOAT.

Yes, it's one of the best time travel stories ever. The game is one slow build up to halfway and then a non-stop roller coaster ride downwards from there. The protagonist acts like a grown up manchild for a reason. Keep playing it.

UPF has always been kind of rough. Frankly the more structured content is the more it tends to be better from giantbomb.

And they probably would be better off if it was recorded on a Thursday.

I've said this before (and someone else did earlier tonight), but the best UPF games (to me) are the ones where multiple people play. When it's solo games, they can be good sometimes, other times they can just bring the show to a complete stop (excitement wise). I completely zoned out on Jeff's game.

It's a story that feels like it's nothing for a very long time... then all of a sudden a lot of that "nothing" will piece together and everything becomes incredible madness. I don't think it's as amazing as most people, but it's very much worth the wild ride overall.

Nothing happens in the game for so long that by the time something happens, I thought it was a gag. It's a very slow build, but it's probably worth it if you have patience.

As for the protagonist's obnoxious attitude
he grows up significantly when things get more serious.

Xater

Dan's bewilderment when it comes to any kind of hacking game will never not be funny.

Anyway, Jeff sold me on another hacking game. I will totally pick up Hackmud.

pronk420

In the hitman QL they are pronouncing apricot (ape ri cot) as app ri cot and its blown my mind. Is this how American people speak?

I need more podcast games. VICE's podcast has destroyed the fragile balance I once had.
When you say something like that of course I'm going to read them.

It was a mistake. Don't read the comments.

I couldn't resist either.

Seemed OK at first, but by the end it got dark. Like, I-was-checking-for-astroturfers levels of darkness.
In the hitman QL they are pronouncing apricot (ape ri cot) as app ri cot and its blown my mind. Is this how American people speak?

Far as I'm aware, there has never been an ape in North America's apricots. So, you are correct.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's always funny when I hear them compare download speeds on Steam to PSN or whatever because in my current setup, my Steam caps its downloads off for no reason at like 1/8th of my download speed no matter how much I change regions.

but PSN will go full blast. Sometimes I have to log on and off a couple times for whatever reason but once it gets going, it blitzes. GOG download rates shit all over Steam too.

Top Bottom