• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Zaph

What? Jeff Bakalar is not a giantbomb employee so he doesn't count.

And Alex doesn't know video stuff.

k0RMrce.png

Seventy70

Ties into the narrative that Jeff is saying that they want Giant Bomb to hire "a bunch more people".

Is that true? Tbh I think GB should have a cap of how many people to have. Maybe there's a room for a couple more, but eventually it gets to the point where it'll be too unfocused. That's what I never really liked about Gamespot or any of the other big video game websites. There's just too many people that it lacks soul and feels "corporate". I like to think of GB as the "small, local business" of video game websites.

repeater

Is that true? Tbh I think GB should have a cap of how many people to have. Maybe there's a room for a couple more, but eventually it gets to the point where it'll be too unfocused. That's what I never really liked about Gamespot or any of the other big video game websites. There's just too many people that it lacks soul and feels "corporate". I like to think of GB as the "small, local business" of video game websites.
Hobbygrade?

I wonder if eventually CBSi just shuts down that San Fran office.

Gamespot is a skeleton crew, giant bomb is 4 dudes who dont even work Mondays.

I guess Cnet is a big thing? Anyone else under CBS work out of that office?

I wonder if eventually the lines will cross on the chart that lists the amount of money coming in versus the amount it probably costs to rent that place + keep paying everyone wages that make living in SF possible.

I wonder if eventually CBSi just shuts down that San Fran office.

Gamespot is a skeleton crew, giant bomb is 4 dudes who dont even work Mondays.

I guess Cnet is a big thing? Anyone else under CBS work out of that office?

I wonder if eventually the lines will cross on the chart that lists the amount of money coming in versus the amount it probably costs to rent that place + keep paying everyone wages that make living in SF possible.

GameFAQs.com (although, that might be considered part of GameSpot.com), Metacritic.com and GameRankings.com are CBSi properties. CBS.com, CBSSports.com, TV.com, etc. have offices there too, I think (as well as in NYC).

http://www.cbsinteractive.com/brands

Last.fm was there at some point, too.

Yup. It's in the link of all brands. Interestingly, GameRankings.com is not on that list, even though if you go there, it says CBSi on the bottom of the site (it also says GameSpot on the bottom, so maybe they consider it a division of GameSpot)

Guys Im scared

What if all of Giant Bomb is being closed down, its obvious cnet is out for blood. Soon Giant bomb will be filled with free lancers like tbat Klepek

Dimmle

Vinny confidently telling Dan that Orson Welles was "the War of the Worlds guy" during the Shenmue episode today killed me. I understand how someone would arrive at that misconception since Orson delivered the famous radio broadcast but there is this lizard part of my nerd brain (which I hate) that I can't control when I hear misinformation on a podcast, etc.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Vinny confidently telling Dan that Orson Welles was "the War of the Worlds guy" during the Shenmue episode today killed me. I understand how someone would arrive at that misconception since Orson delivered the famous radio broadcast but there is this lizard part of my nerd brain (which I hate) that I can't control when I hear misinformation on a podcast.
Or you know, Wells <-> Welles.

Vinny confidently telling Dan that Orson Welles was "the War of the Worlds guy" during the Shenmue episode today killed me. I understand how someone would arrive at that misconception since Orson delivered the famous radio broadcast but there is this lizard part of my nerd brain (which I hate) that I can't control when I hear misinformation on a podcast, etc.

How many corrections have you sent in, Dim?

Oh. Slightly relevant.

One of my friends is on vacation in SF and her facebook is already full of beautiful pictures of street art, views of the bay and complaining about the amount of human faeces

I can't imagine doing that. I understand how easy it is to say something erroneous on a live recording.

Can I say again: I hate the part of my brain that lights up when I hear that kind of thing.

I haven't watched the episode. What context was it in? I mean, if you ask people what they know Orson Welles for, they'll probably say Citizen Kane or the radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. So I wouldn't blame someone calling him "The War of the Worlds" guy. If Vinny specifically mentioned the book, then yeah, he meant H.G. and mistakenly said Orson. But, you could call both "The War of the Worlds" guy and be right for different reasons.

I think when you see the trajectory of mainstream VG media over the last few years you only really have a few options:

• Go independent, or join niche project with enough space in the market to survive
  • Switch to dev, either internal or PR
  • Abandon the industry altogether
Most of the big names at GameSpot & other traditional outlets seem to have made the jump before it becomes too late, I worry for any of those who are still hanging on :(

GiantBomb will be fine - Jeff won't take any shit from CBSi and it's unique enough to stand on its own, it just needs an extra staff member or two in the west to keep the hamster wheel turning.

FStop7

Banned
Guys Im scared

What if all of Giant Bomb is being closed down, its obvious cnet is out for blood. Soon Giant bomb will be filled with free lancers like tbat Klepek

Tbat Klepek is a nice guy. His accent is a little thick but that doesn't mean you should ignore what he's saying.

Dimmle

I haven't watched the episode. What context was it in? I mean, if you ask people what they know Orson Welles for, they'll probably say Citizen Kane or the radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. So I wouldn't blame someone calling him "The War of the Worlds" guy. If Vinny specifically mentioned the book, then yeah, he meant H.G. and mistakenly said Orson. But, you could call both "The War of the Worlds" guy and be right for different reasons.

Yeah, you're right, they could both be that guy. I'd probably go with the guy who wrote the book but Orson is more relevant today outside of high school English classes.

The context was specifically Dan asking (paraphrasing here), "who is the 'War of the Worlds' guy, H.G. Wells or Orson?"

So, like, yeah, either, but really, H.G.

Yeah, you're right, they could both be that guy. I'd probably go with the guy who wrote the book but Orson is more relevant today outside of high school English classes.

The context was specifically Dan asking (paraphrasing here), "who is the 'War of the Worlds' guy, H.G. Wells or Orson?"

So, like, yeah, either, but really, H.G.

Ah, okay. Context is everything. How confused would Dan have been if Vinny said both? That would've been funny. In my senior year (as an English Major with a Writing Minor) at college (UMBC), I took an extra course to make sure I could participate in the May graduations (instead of the smaller late Summer or early Winter ones). Basically, it was offered by my advisor. All I had to do was come up with a paper and for him to give the okay to pursue it. It was about War of the Worlds (which I had finished reading in a British Lit class) and how the book compared to the radio play and movies (I also compared the 50's movie to the Spielberg one and how the movies had allegories to fear during the Cold War and fear of terrorism respectively). In my research for the paper, I found a really neat recorded interview between Wells and Welles.

Here's that interview on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdghSMTXsU

Is there still a GiantBomb DOTA community? I tried playing the game again recently after stopping for two years (same time that the Daily Dota stopped) and the GiantBomb chat channel was completely empty.

Really disappointing since I did enjoy playing with those folks a lot.

jaina

Is there still a GiantBomb DOTA community? I tried playing the game again recently after stopping for two years (same time that the Daily Dota stopped) and the GiantBomb chat channel was completely empty.

Really disappointing since I did enjoy playing with those folks a lot.
I started responding with "look at the chat channel" and then finished reading your post.... yeah I would assume the channel to be an activity indicator.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I've been to San Francisco last year but I don't remember smelling human feces. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention?

There WAS a half naked guy stopping a bus I was in by standing in front of it and making those arm motions you do when you help somebody park a car though.

ev0

tbf given the position of those 2 i could see that not lasting (or at least not being consistent) since stuff needs to be done.

Which seems to be why working home from Monday seemed kind of weird to begin with?
I was mostly jesting with my comment- but unless Drew/Jason had great video editing rigs at home, I wasn't sure what them not going to work was going to accomplish?

Top Bottom