• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

oti

Banned
So has working at home on Monday resulted in more content yet?

Z93uwT.gif

I started responding with "look at the chat channel" and then finished reading your post.... yeah I would assume the channel to be an activity indicator.

Well last Thursday night (a relatively busy DOTA time) there were 7 people in the chat. And only one person responded to me.

I just didn't know if there was some new hangout besides chat channels now. Does GAF have a DOTA community that regularly plays together?

Xater

Well last Thursday night (a relatively busy DOTA time) there were 7 people in the chat. And only one person responded to me.

I just didn't know if there was some new hangout besides chat channels now. Does GAF have a DOTA community that regularly plays together?

When I played two years ago GAF had a good thing going. Their community thread is also always busy.

Catching up on Vinnyvania, Alex is totally wrong about The Conjuring 2. It's really, really good if you like that spooky ghost subgenre of horror. It even did well critically, not that it matters much with horror movies.

Xater

Catching up on Vinnyvania, Alex is totally wrong about The Conjuring 2. It's really, really good if you like that spooky ghost subgenre of horror. It even did well critically, not that it matters much with horror movies.

Yup, I liked Conjuring 2 as well and I watch a shit ton of horror films.

Ashby

yeah, I was taken aback at that assessment because it was the first negative take on that movie I'd heard.

Which seems to be why working home from Monday seemed kind of weird to begin with?
I was mostly jesting with my comment- but unless Drew/Jason had great video editing rigs at home, I wasn't sure what them not going to work was going to accomplish?

Seems most mondays had enough free time that could be used for something at home (not sure if its some mandatory thing) and whatever on premises work would be done already.

But there can be cases of needing to do something on premises due to it being a requirement or its better suited after additional analysis or maybe its because you are more "comfortable" there.

Yup, I liked Conjuring 2 as well and I watch a shit ton of horror films.
Me too! Alex didn't even seem that hot on the first Conjuring, which was one of the best ghost movies in like a decade.
yeah, I was taken aback at that assessment because it was the first negative take on that movie I'd heard.
He hasn't seen it based on what he said ("I've heard bad things" or something to that effect). I'm going to be watching it again this October for sure!

Any other recent-ish horror movies I should make sure I watch this month? Already planning to rewatch a few (Babadook, It Follows).

Xater

Me too! Alex didn't even seem that hot on the first Conjuring, which was one of the best ghost movies in like a decade.

He hasn't seen it based on what he said ("I've heard bad things" or something to that effect). I'm going to be watching it again this October for sure!

Any other recent-ish horror movies I should make sure I watch this month? Already planning to rewatch a few (Babadook, It Follows).

Id still say the first one was better, but Conjuring 2 was still great.

If you have Netflix watch Hush. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Unique set-up. Also go see Don't Breathe.

The next ones I'll be watching are Abbatoir and Train to Busan.

I have to go and can't type long but I just want to pop in and say the conjuring movies are really bland, inoffensive, jump scare movies, and whatever Alex said is probably right

Ashby

If you have Netflix watch Hush. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Unique set-up. Also go see Don't Breathe.

Also on Netflix, The Invitation. Most tense movie I've seen in quite a while.

Conjuring 2 is honestly one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen and that's saying something. I just can't figure out one good thing about the movie.

Strax

Most horror movies offend my intelligence. I understand people want to be scared but most horror films do it so cheaply I can't get into them.

FStop7

Banned
I just saw a remaster of the original Phantasm. That is a fuuuuuucked uppppp movie, in a good way. It's got some bad acting and choppy storytelling at times because it was made on a $300k budget with a very small crew. But the cinematography is just incredible, it has some of the best lit night scenes that are right up there with Halloween.

Bad Robot did the restoration and it looks and sounds incredible. The soundtrack and sound effects were my favorite part. Deep, powerful synths that bring a sort of sci-fi edge to a horror film. It's not really a horror film, anyway. It's more of a coming-of-age movie set in a horror environment.

BearPawB

Banned
Also on Netflix, The Invitation. Most tense movie I've seen in quite a while.

I thought the invitation was 90% boring garbage just to finally get to the most obvious conclusion of all time.

Conjuring 2 is honestly one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen and that's saying something. I just can't figure out one good thing about the movie.

I liked the Conjuring 2 a lot...but the ending was a little "easy".
Some solid spooks in it though

Ashby

Lots of people like that one, but I only thought it was ok. I figured it out early and it didn't offer much for me after that.

I liked it mostly for the protagonist. It's not often you have a horror movie with a smart, observant protagonist who doesn't get pummeled with the idiot stick for the sake of lazy plotting.

I thought the invitation was 90% boring garbage just to finally get to the most obvious conclusion of all time.

I didn't think the movie was presenting itself like it was trying to blow your mind with a twist. The ending was obvious but I don't think that that's a bad thing. Have you seen House of the Devil? It's similar in that it builds to an obvious conclusion but the build-up (which is also pretty slow) is tortuously tense.

Xater

I just saw a remaster of the original Phantasm. That is a fuuuuuucked uppppp movie, in a good way. It's got some bad acting and choppy storytelling at times because it was made on a $300k budget with a very small crew. But the cinematography is just incredible, it has some of the best lit night scenes that are right up there with Halloween.

Bad Robot did the restoration and it looks and sounds incredible. The soundtrack and sound effects were my favorite part. Deep, powerful synths that bring a sort of sci-fi edge to a horror film. It's not really a horror film, anyway. It's more of a coming-of-age movie set in a horror environment.

I really hope I can see that restoration some time. Phantasm is wonderfully weird.

You know what's an actual good horror/thriller movie? Creep.

I also enjoyed that one.

kai3345

Banned

Kill List, Taking of Deborah Logan, The House of the Devil, The Loved Ones, The Conspiracy and The Gift are some recent hidden horror/thriller gems.

I also watched Murder Party for the first time last night (first movie from the guys behind Green Room) and that was a lot of fun as well.

Kill List, Taking of Deborah Logan, The House of the Devil, The Loved Ones and The Gift are some recent hidden horror/thriller gems.

I also watched Murder Party for the first time last night (first movie from the guys behind Green Room) and that was a lot of fun as well.

I liked Deborah Logan until it got goofy at the end. The Gift was pretty good if a bit boring at times. I haven't seen the others.

kai3345

Banned
Yeah Creep is great. Wasn't it also only like 70 minutes or something? I love when films, especially horror films, don't fuck around with pacing and are able to fit everything cleanly into a nice, slim runtime.

I think the ending is one of the best parts. Man.... that movie.

I don't mean the very end, I think there's a whole stretch of that movie that just stumbles towards the conclusion. like they realized they had a 40 minute movie and needed to stretch. but the first half hour or so and the very end were solid.

I don't mean the very end, I think there's a whole stretch of that movie that just stumbles towards the conclusion. like they realized they had a 40 minute movie and needed to stretch. but the first half hour or so and the very end were solid.

Oh ok, then I could see that I suppose. I'm typically more forgiving of movies with a somewhat stagnant plot if the beginning and/or ending are really solid. It's part of the reason that I've loved all the Netflix MCU shows and never really noticed any pacing issues.

BearPawB

Banned
The end of creep bothered me.
dude shoulda heard him coming up behind him/been more cautious

But the first half of that movie is great

I am increasingly of the opinion that everything but Quick Looks and the Bombcast should be Premium. I just want more value from my subscription. :(

Zaph

I am increasingly of the opinion that everything but Quick Looks and the Bombcast should be Premium. I just want more value from my subscription. :(

I get the feeling the focus right now at GB is building their general/youtube audience, and that's coming somewhat at the expense of premium content.

Creep was alright. I knew they'd blow the ending and they did, though.

Ah, awesome I'll check those out. I think I added Hush to my Netflix already.
Kill List, Taking of Deborah Logan, The House of the Devil, The Loved Ones, The Conspiracy and The Gift are some recent hidden horror/thriller gems.

I haven't seen several of those, so I'll check them out if I can.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom