• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Ugh. This QL is so depressing to me with how much I loved PM64/TTYD. The aesthetic, writing and music all look fantastic yet seems to get bogged down by trying to be like Sticker Star. Dan avoiding the combat is exactly how I played that game.

Man, having no benefits whatsoever for fighting an enemy (at least as far as I remember) has to be among the dumbest decissions ever.

oti

Banned
Ugh. This QL is so depressing to me with how much I loved PM64/TTYD. The aesthetic, writing and music all look fantastic yet seems to get bogged down by trying to be like Sticker Star. Dan avoiding the combat is exactly how I played that game.

It's better than what Dan makes it sound like. There's another option to not use the touchscreen at all during fights. Don't know why he didn't show that control scheme.

Man, having no benefits whatsoever for fighting an enemy (at least as far as I remember) has to be among the dumbest decissions ever.

But there is the benefit of working towards a higher colour capacity. Case in point: Dan did run out of red colour during the QL.

Jeff throwing shade at hires who use GB as a stepping stone for bigger opportunities. I can see why he'd want to take his time.

What's the quote? I know how it looked but Austin would have been insane not to take the opportunity he was given. You don't say no to being offered an EIC position at a (pretty much, after the rebranding) entirely new outlet with money behind it. Austin's written content and guest writer program always felt like a weird fit for GB anyway.

Fantastapotamus

But there is the benefit of working towards a higher colour capacity. Case in point: Dan did run out of red colour during the QL.

I have only played Sticker Star and afaik there wasn't any benefit to fighting. Also Dan mentioned that this was the first time he ever ran out of color.

kiguel182

I finally finished the bombast and let me tell you, of all things weird Dan does, making a lump of paper to clean your butt has to be the one that got me the most.

oti

Banned
I have only played Sticker Star and afaik there wasn't any benefit to fighting. Also Dan mentioned that this was the first time he ever ran out of color.

And he's 6h in... in a 30+ hours game.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't turn into Dark Souls 20h in and fights are annoying. But they're not completely useless.

Jeff's adherence to keeping a current and regular coverage of games during a hypothetical Japan trip has me wondering if their audience would care. No QLs and other features for a week is a solid trade off for Giantbomb Japan special content.

What's the quote? I know how it looked but Austin would have been insane not to take the opportunity he was given. You don't say no to being offered an EIC position at a (pretty much, after the rebranding) entirely new outlet with money behind it. Austin's written content and guest writer program always felt like a weird fit for GB anyway.

He wasnt talking about Austin but just in general the kind of person they want.

Jeff has always been open about being turned off by people who just want to pad their CV's to become game developers in 2 years or bounce to community management (does that even happen anymore?)

I dont think anyone would fault Austin for taking that Vice gig. Jobs in games writing is hard to come by as is and its not like new sites with cash backing them are popping up anymore. And its not like going to a higher paying job doing the same shit at another site or something. Its a heck of a opportunity. But TBH I think Giant Bomb will always struggle to keep their text based editorial guy. Its a video website. Writers will want to write. Thats probably never going to work long term.

kiguel182

Not knowing how to wipe your butt is the most Dan Rykert thing

Well, can't argue with that. I was innocent and assumed wiping your butt was one of those basic skills everyone knew.

I also love how he was so defensive when Jason accused him of wrapping his hand in paper like his way was better. When your toilet can't hang with the amount of paper you put into it it's time to rethink some stuff.

Meguro

Banned
A reminder that Austin was nervous about telling Vinny and Alex that he got offered that position.
He clearly loved working at GB.
Now that notorious Youtuber Patrick Klepek....

Catvoca

Banned
Well, can't argue with that. I was innocent and assumed wiping your butt was one of those basic skills everyone knew.

I also love how he was so defensive when Jason accused him of wrapping his hand in paper like his way was better. When your toilet can't hang with the amount of paper you put into it it's time to rethink some stuff.

The way he kept saying he'd just "go to town down there" with the clump of toilet paper..... I feel sorry for dan's body for the things he subjects it to.

Fantastapotamus

God dammit you crazy americans. I sat here wondering why you post a month old Jar Time before realising that you guys screw up the date every time.

And he's 6h in... in a 30+ hours game.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't turn into Dark Souls 20h in and fights are annoying. But they're not completely useless.

But that seems like a super arbitrary thing. "Fight annoying fights so you can hold more color". Is the color used for anything outside painting the world and making your attacks a bit more powerful?

kiguel182

So whats Jeff's take on Greg Kasavin or is there min years working in the press that would satisfy him?

Jeff said that he understood that things change and that it makes sense to want to make games when you spend so much time around them. He wasn't talking about cases like Greg.

There's clearly nothing but love for Austin and Patrick from the duders, which is why Patrick is part of their stuff whenever he's in town and Austin surely will be too.

The idea there's any controversy there is stupid. They'll always be a part of the site.

oti

Banned
But that seems like a super arbitrary thing. "Fight annoying fights so you can hold more color". Is the color used for anything outside painting the world and making your attacks a bit more powerful?

It is super arbitrary. I'm not saying it's a good mechanic. After a fight you can also get new cards and colour to replentish. After maybe 15h I started to avoid battles at all cost.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Move over Shenmue, there's a new king on the hill

There is a part in the beginning of Mafia 3 that is very similar to something they were talking about during the bike scene in Shenmue involving music that made me laugh.

It is also the most Dan game. Maybe even more than, ironically, Yakuza.

oti

Banned
you just said you avoided battles in the game at all costs for well over half the game

how is that good

The writing is stellar, the atmosphere is fun and the graphics are amazing.

Look, I'm not gonna defend the fighting system here because it is tedious. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

All I need to do now is land a job at GB and push it into the Top 3.

BTA

I listened to the latest podcast during a long flight (since my phone had automatically downloaded it still), so I was stuck with audio only and I really regret not having though about downloading the video version before I left. There were 3 or 4 rants in that one episode that I would have liked to seen people's faces during.

Good to see the Shenmue ER to put the game in perspective. I probably played through it half a dozen times but havent touched it in at least a decade. I get that people are nostalgic for it and want to see the story finished but the idea that anyone would want any of the game's voice actors to come back is pure nostalgic lunacy.

Also the story isn't actually that good. Shenmue 2 is mostly digressions as well, but is a lot better about having forward momentum and at least some pacing, although the last disc is... weird.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Alex and Vinny saying they hate Goro kind of makes me rethink of them as people.

Like they're probably awful people. Subhuman even.

jgminto

Goro is great because he is terrible, he is a complete cartoon of a Japanese punk and has no business being in a work that's meant to be a grounded take on everyday life and that's why he's the best part of that game.

BTA

Nah, he's talking about people who use gaming news outlets as a springboard for industry jobs. Less Patrick and Austin and more (insert GameSpot employee here).

Listening now and yeah, he explicitly says it about people who would intentionally be using a job at GB as a stepping stone to development jobs (so that they can use the job to network with devs). Not sure how that could be taken as being towards Patrick/Austin at all when they 1. didn't go into this aiming to leave and 2. aren't working in development.

Zaph

So the new hire is a while away then?

Also I could really use an audio feed for Jar Time

Yeah, but at least Jeff has a really good history of getting the right person, so hopefully it'll be worth it. Both Dan and Austin hit the ground running, and Patrick, while there was a rough 12 months, was solid.

Just keep your GBWest expectations appropriate for the months after Dan leaves.

KingKong

Yeah, but at least Jeff has a really good history of getting the right person, so hopefully it'll be worth it. Both Dan and Austin hit the ground running, and Patrick, while there was a rough 12 months, was solid.

I refuse. It will be the end of GBWest as we know it

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

No problem, just bring more Gamespot people over like Danny or Alexa.

Sigh.

When Dan is gone I am looking forward to there being exactly the same amount of GBWest premium content as there is now...

18.png

Joeku

Man, remember how fucking good Bowser's Inside Story was? That didn't need to be 30 hours. I feel like it might have been 20-ish?

Also holy shit Mafia looks like a kinda okay-playing thing with a ton of heart. The eyes in that game are fantastic.

Top Bottom