• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Jintor

anyone remember that beastcast episode of fiasco

i kinda want to try that with youse but it... really needs to be live i think so it'd have to be a discord/google hangout game?

and organising a schedule would be hell?

Xater

anyone remember that beastcast episode of fiasco

i kinda want to try that with youse but it... really needs to be live i think so it'd have to be a discord/google hangout game?

and organising a schedule would be hell?

I don't know. It's probably easier to do than any other Pen and Paper RPG, because you do the prep together and then just play. I do have the game.

Jintor

Watch Dogs 2's driving app being called Driver SF is great

Driver SF was a fucking great game.

I love that they came up with a great mechanic, possession, and then built the entire game around it.

the incidental dialogue writing was fantastic.

I don't know. It's probably easier to do than any other Pen and Paper RPG, because you do the prep together and then just play. I do have the game.

I feel like the real problem is the scheduling, but we only need to carve out... probably 2 hours maybe

jaina

I feel for you. but putting bumper stickers on other peoples' cars is a great troll (as long as they come off again without residue)

Don't most of the remaining Mario Party games have a smaller max turn limit than 50? Wouldn't surprise me if they consolidated some of them down into one video. I wouldn't put it past Dan to have his going away stream be a marathon of every remaining game.

jaina

Don't most of the remaining Mario Party games have a smaller max turn limit than 50? Wouldn't surprise me if they consolidated some of them down into one video. I wouldn't put it past Dan to have his going away stream be a marathon of every remaining game.
yeah, combining MPP 9 and 10 might be needed to keep exhaustion on par. the car mode in them has even quicker turns too, AFAIK.

bjork

This UPF is fascinating. Taking calls like they've talked about a few times in years past, Dan's truck hunt, I like it.

f0rk

Might have to start listening to the premium version of the beastcast, they really seem to have been stepping it up with the ads in the last few weeks.

I'm only an hour in so far but the calls have been fine.

But yeah, I'm with you. Getting a PAX quality call is always a fear. I always hate the crowd shots at the PAX panels because among the normal people you can just see the freaks.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just can't handle calls. They could start some great discussions but the chances of them going full PAX are just too high.

People who don't speak professionally are not entertaining to listen to. Viewer/listener calls are the worst part of everything they've ever been a part of.

Calls were absolutely fine, even had some good questions too. Premium seems to filter out most of the weirdos.

Also, as it was spur of the moment, you didn't have people psyching themselves out. I think at PAX, for some people, the anticipation of being on the line can be stressful. I know, if I were ever to go to a Q&A portion, I'd have my question written down. The UPF call in show was a much more relaxed thing. People were calling from the comfort of their homes. There was not a huge crowd (in person and online). But, if I were to call in, I would, again, have my question written down.

Yesterday I tried PSVR for the first time at Best Buy. I did the Eve: Valkyrie demo and it was great. There was an issue at first where everything was out of focus, but simply lowering the headset made everything clearer. Being a Best Buy, it was quite bright, but there seemed to be no light source that would've confused the headset. Despite the troubles Jeff and Brad had, that demo (and the mostly positive reviews) was enough to sell me on PSVR (I'd opt for Rift/Vive if I had the money for them plus a VR-ready PC). As a PSA, anyone that wants to try PSVR, the stores (Bestbuy, Gamestop, etc.) that are demoing PSVR added new demos yesterday, such as Batman: Arkham VR, Rigs, Thumper, Bound, Carnival Games VR, Harmonix Music VR, and two of the four PSVR Worlds demos.

Edit- Hmmm.

arZy0CN.png

Zaph

Yeah, that sounds about right. I hope the suits at CBSi are satisfied with GB's performance.

Giant Bomb is tiny (seriously, there are medium sized youtube channels with more staff), has an ever increasing audience, and most importantly, a growing membership base.

By having actual customers, and not completely relying on the whims of advertisers/sponsors, it insulates GB from a lot of bullshit. If some suit comes along thinking he/she knows better, GB can just point to direct customer feedback and say nah mate.

Giant Bomb is tiny (seriously, there are medium sized youtube channels with more staff), has an ever increasing audience, and most importantly, a growing membership base.

By having actual customers, and not completely relying on the whims of advertisers/sponsors, it insulates GB from a lot of bullshit. If some suit comes along thinking he/she knows better, GB can just point to direct customer feedback and say nah mate.

Also, Danny always mentioned how the viewership numbers for Giant Bomb content completely dwarfed GameSpot's (like, it wasn't even close). I always thought it would make sense for Giant Bomb to host some of GameSpot's top content, like Danny's The Point.

Dan picks the giant bomb guy in Paladins and... names his loadout "I'm Junkrat?" Dan pls. PLS.

If only Jeff were there. He has the Giant Bomb player icon in Overwatch... he'd know what to do.
Also, Danny always mentioned how the viewership numbers for Giant Bomb content completely dwarfed GameSpot's (like, it wasn't even close). I always thought it would make sense for Giant Bomb to host some of GameSpot's top content, like Danny's The Point.

It's kind of weird when the reverse happens, but then again it would dilute the feel of Giant Bomb with what is essentially sponsored content from their corporate overlords. Like, as much as the interests overlap, particularly with Danny "Special Guest" O'Dwyer, it is probably for the best--especially if it risks weakening Giant Bomb's magic touch.

I imagine CBSi recognises the value of Giant Bomb as it is (y'know, why they bought it), which is why we never see any front-facing changes to Giant Bomb. With all of the meeting stories though, there's gotta be a lot happening behind the scenes.

Mafia 3 has best styyyle for entirely different reasons.

29893387330_30268196f5_o.gif

Although in seriousness, it does look pretty good. I could see it being a contender if they fix that weather bug up; I'm incredibly baffled Beast didn't mention it during the stream.

I mean, it will lose to Stardew Valley. But such is the way of things.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also, the game is super First Blood-y. Which I didn't expect. Which is why I think Dan will like it. Or at least like Lincoln.

Does Mafia 3 have Nolan North talking to himself?

Edit- Hmmm.

arZy0CN.png

Didnt some people from GS mention before they had pressure to try make it on youtube?

Must be a hard to see a site like IGN be bringing in 100k views for most of their daily crap but Gamespot basically doing the same thing, if not better in a lot of cases struggling to do 10k.

Not exactly sure what was keeping them from getting better views. Gamespot stuff was getting woeful views outside a few series. Maybe its a mix of various reasons. From post gerstmann damage to basically just being a IGN clone at times to a lack of likeable personalities for the 5 years post Jeff and crew leaving and before Danny.

Top Bottom