• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Salarians

Mafia 3's visuals are all over the place; the game looks gorgeous at times and like broken, janky mess at others. It's got some really weird pop in and effects issues. I hope Digital Foundry or NX Gamer does a video on it.

Gameplay wise, it's reminding me of AssCreed 1; having to do boring, repetitive missions so you can push the story forward. Kind of wish it got the Alan Wake treatment and became a linear game instead. If I wasn't enjoying the story, I would have brought it back to Red Box by now.

Does Mafia 3 have Nolan North talking to himself?
Haven't heard him but I did hear Garrus saying some racial slurs. So there's that.

Mr. F

Banned
I just can't handle calls. They could start some great discussions but the chances of them going full PAX are just too high.

People who don't speak professionally are not entertaining to listen to. Viewer/listener calls are the worst part of everything they've ever been a part of.

It went a lot better than I would have thought. I think they're smart to disconnect the call after the initial question so there's no awkward and laggy back and forth as they try to talk amongst themselves.

Also, it was pretty awesome hearing so many callers from Europe, here in Canada (
myself included, doop
), Brazil, and elsewhere. Making it out to a PAX has never been super feasible for me so it was cool to get to shoot a question all the same.

I'll guess Pulp Fiction but Death Metalist got it because he cheated

Boom!

Ill send ya PM later, it's a Win10 code.

20081008_mnight_250x375.jpg

Ill take 2 if its still available.

I'll PM you now.

Very interesting and a shame.

GuyKazama

Also, Danny always mentioned how the viewership numbers for Giant Bomb content completely dwarfed GameSpot's (like, it wasn't even close). I always thought it would make sense for Giant Bomb to host some of GameSpot's top content, like Danny's The Point.

GS Youtube numbers destroy GB. Maybe he was referring to live streams?

FStop7

Banned
I'm reading the crowbcat Mafia 3 thread and some of the excuses sound awfully familiar, like Fallout 4 excuses from goty time.

I liked Fallout 4.

Didnt some people from GS mention before they had pressure to try make it on youtube?

Must be a hard to see a site like IGN be bringing in 100k views for most of their daily crap but Gamespot basically doing the same thing, if not better in a lot of cases struggling to do 10k.

Not exactly sure what was keeping them from getting better views. Gamespot stuff was getting woeful views outside a few series. Maybe its a mix of various reasons. From post gerstmann damage to basically just being a IGN clone at times to a lack of likeable personalities for the 5 years post Jeff and crew leaving and before Danny.

From what Danny's said, it seems to be that there was pressure to increase user interaction with the site. That is, people watching GS material through different avenues. I can imagine that's stressful for people who signed up to Gamespot without knowing it would try to become personality focused. And since GS kinda has failed to push that lead, something must have internally happened that had GS people going 'Ok I need to find something else.'

Like I wonder if Mary is looking for something else. She's been doing some indie stuff on the side, but I imagine now that most of her crew has left, GS probably doesn't seem like a great place to work at, anymore.

Mr. F

Banned
Maybe this wasn't relevant to Danny's case because his patreon move was a gamble and could have gone far worse, but according to CBSi's glassdoor reviews a lot of current/former bay-area employees reference low or below-market pay compared to the cost of living there.

Also- I've never followed GS but are the international offices facing the same talent exodus issues or is that localized to SF? I assume they're somewhat personality driven the way Danny referenced people at GS UK sometimes

Jintor

I can only really speak to Sydney a bit. Previous editor Dan Hindes left because GS weren't hot on him making a game at the same time as covering games and asked him to choose, and he chose the game. Zorine is leaving because she got a job opportunity in SF and presumably it's not with CBSi (maybe Riot?)

GuyKazama

Gamespot has one of the worst subscribers to views ratios I've seen

They are roughly proportional. GB has about 10% of GS YT subscriber base and 10% the number of total views. It just means that if they were to merge, GS would be the brand.

CBSi is in an interesting place. They have the audience at GS, but no enthusiasm or direction. They also have the enthusiasm at GB, but a limited audience and growth potential. With the talent exodus at GS, I only see two paths for them:

1. Have the GB guys take over GS and bring the enthusiastic audience and a sense of direction with them.
2. Divest of all of the gaming assets while they still have value. Without talent at GS, it will depreciate quickly.

Ryan MacDonald (did he ever escape federal drone prison?)

He seems to have updated his twitter profile since the last time I checked. So he is alive I guess.

I assume he is out of drone jail. Or never actually went to drone jail.

I think someone said at one point he has a small production company now?

TraBuch

Banned
What're some underrated TNTs? Everyone knows about the Fortune Street and Dead Island streams, but what're some lesser talked about ones?

Top Bottom